• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

is it normal to feel hesitation about whether or not to go to a cleaning

G

gamergirl123

Former Member
I've been torn apart by a debate raging in my head for weeks now. To put a VERY long journey short, i went to the dentist for the first time in AGES(my estimate is at least 15 years away from the chair but I think it could be as high as 18) due to a mondo dentist phobia and was dragged into a journey(I was game for the initial visit but was dragged into the rest to fast) thats status is currently stalled at "THATS IT! I QUIT!" thanks to me getting fed up with going in for partials adjustments and getting no lasting relief. I'd also add in a cold sensetivitty problem to this post but I did try a sample tube of sensodyne and got some relief and I have a tube that's the next on my use list(I had another brand that I wanted to try out and the tube is almost done).

Well, here's where my problem comes in at. I SHOULD be trekking in for a cleaning in 40.5 days but I just don't know what to do... On one hand, I should go in since maybe have my real teeth and the partials(when/if I choose to wear them) teeth colors would look closer to one shade vs the about 4 or 5 shades things are looking now. My uppers are one shade, one canine is another, the other is another and the remaining really teeth seem to be another. Lower front fake tooth is a couple shades off from the real front, and the back teeth(fakes also) are pretty white. OMFG it is so disgusting! Am I worried about perfectly white teeth? NO since I don't want to turn into one of those people addicted to having real teeth so white they look fake.

And on top of that when I reflect back on just how many chances I had in the past to go in well b4 things got as bad as they did, its kind of scary and I don't want to head back down that path. I am seeing days even just a few years ago where things would of been less worse for me. Plus i could kill two birds with on stone and get the needed partial adjustments. And I've suffered through to much to just give up

However, on the other hand, I just don't know if I can handle trekking into the office again, even if its just for a simple cleaning! Ive had to endure the initial visit, a deep cleaning, two rounds of extractions of 7 each ranging from just roots up to one molar where I had a massive hole in it plus getting partials after the second round, two fillings, and to date between upper/or lower adjustments(including one that was uppers and filling check which resulted in a minor adjustment to the lower) I've had to go through probably at least 8 - 10 adjustments total. I am still being haunted by the journey and have days where I'm regretting ever starting the journey. Were my old teeth in rough shape? Sure, but at least I could eat with them! Its gotten to the point that I refuse to eat with partials in. Uppers have a left wire that keeps shifting up on my and I get food trapped under my lowers so that really irritates my mouth. And honestly, I almost never where the partials, period, since they are nothing but a thorn in my side! I where them enough to keep mom off my back about if I don't where them at least a little my teeth will shift. With adhesive, I'm only able to tolerate them in for about 6 or 7 hours on a good day but normally by hour 2 they are starting to get on my nerves. No adhesive and my uppers come loose in no time and my tounge starts kicking the lowers out in maybe 20 minutes in a good day.

I thought maybe trying to shove the problem in the back of my brain for a couple weeks and focusing on other things would help things but no luck. I started playing super mario bros 3d land again, tried getting back into my Lego hobby, and even recently borrowed 5 books from the library about organizing since I decided to restart part of my efforts to organize my room. B4 I borrowed the books, I managed to get donate 3 Walmart bags full of stuff and a few containers I don't need and now I'm getting some ideas to do more work done. I even got the bookcase up and I'm starting to put stuff in/on it plus I switched around some lego stuff on 2 shelves on my 5 shelf case and that worked out. And I even made adjustments to both my youtube and DVR settings so I'm also been occupied on that category and I am excited since it turns out jangbricks of YouTube has offically started laying out the framework for his hospital and he's been wanting to do that project for months.

However, i recently decided to unleash the problem back into my head to see my feelings and I'm still as unsure as ever! Is this normal for previously severe dental phobic???

Re: is it normal to feel hesitation about whether or not to go to a cleaning

I would honestly go for the cleaning. It is definitely a chance to try and nip problems in the bud and of all the dental procedures, a cleaning is really no big deal. I've always had ridiculously sensitive teeth and a cleaning doesn't bother me that much. I had a deep cleaning before which wasn't that bad either.

I know it sucks with the waiting but I'd really go in for the cleaning. You won't regret it.

I think you should go for the cleaning if you're comfortable with the hygienist. I have not liked any of the hygienists I've had as they've all been too rough and made me bleed :( tell them to be extra gentle beforehand I would really explain to them how you feel and if you don't feel good about it remember you can always get up and leave. If they're treating you bad you don't have to take it!

I think it's normal, I'm going through the same thing right now, hence me joining this site. I lurked here witch got me to start m y treatment. Now I've got through a few of things needed and am so over it I don't wanna go back. However you are going in for a cleaning which should be easy peasy, and with a chance for them fixing your denture. I mean you can get em fixed eventually but maybe it's something small that u'll be walking out that day with dentures siting perfect in your mouth

Back