• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is it normal to feel so sleepy?

T

TheGeek

I'm almost 72 hours after my extraction. I had 2 upper wisdom teeth removed and the teeth next to those.

Today I woke up at 7am, it's now 10am and I can't keep my eyes open. I feel ... strange. Spaced out, a little dizzy and very hungry. I'm still on soft foods. I've had a cup of soup this morning but that's it.

I have some pain still too.

Is this normal? I've rarely felt this tired before.

Nobody mentioned any of this to me so I assumed by the end of day 3 I should be feeling better. I didn't feel like this yesterday, or the day before.

Any advice?

Ps. I didn't have any sedation. Just numbing anaesthetic (non epi).

Sometimes healing can take a lot out of you. Also, I often find that all of the anxiety before an appt really takes its toll on me. Have you checked for a fever? If you're concerned, you can always call the dentist or your regular doctor.

ETA - you might not be getting enough calories and/enough protein. Try Greek yogurt and/or scrambled eggs for protein. It's important to make sure you're eating well so you can heal.

What Fearful said.

This sounds like straight up exhaustion. I'm sometimes astonished by how tired I get after dentist appointments, it can feel like I've been hit by a train...and that's just the after effects of anxiety, never mind the physical effects you will be experiencing from having had extractions!

Also remember that you've been carrying the anxiety over this for a really, really long time (years for you, wasn't it?) - when you finally get it done and the anxiety lifts, you can feel very drained. The longer it went on and the more anxious you were, the more drained you are likely to feel now.

Seek advice from your dentist or dr if you have any symptoms of a fever or infection, otherwise plenty of rest, and eat as much as you can manage, give your body a chance to heal and recover.

Thanks for the advice guys. I have checked my temperature and it's normal.

I think you're both spot on about the food and the anxiety. I got so annoyed with feeling sleepy I got out of bed and did a 30 minute workout. It woke me up, but I definitely noticed I was under performing.

Will have a bowl of scrambled egg for supper with some cheesy mash. Trying to keep the calories up on soft food is very hard.

Many thanks again to the both of you. Your advice is very useful.

Back