• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is it normal?

T

tazey

For the metal posts (implants) to show so much? Is it normal they dig into your tongue? When are the actual teeth likely to be put on? Its like we've done the op now fend for yourself,yes there's a check up in 2wks (that's a long way off right now)+im guessing that's all it is a check up.

Tazey, I hope someone on here can give you answers. I would be going crazy in your situation, not being told what was going on. I can't answer definitively, since I don't know how it is with full mouth implants. I know with mine, they put a healing cap (I think that is what he called it) on at the time that the implant was placed. It did stick up quite a bit at first, but the gums grew up around it. That will come off before they put in the teeth.

I can imagine if they were in the front, and you had no other teeth, they would feel huge. I don't know if that is what you have, though. Are they cylindrical?

There is a time frame between the implants and the crowns where the implants have to fuse to the bone. I have to wait four or five months for mine, before I can get the crowns on. The surgeon told me he would do a torque test first to make sure they were in firmly. Kind of like a screwdriver, twisting it. He takes off the healing cap at that time. He said ths healing cap prevented having to open it back up surgically later to get to the implant under the gums.

The answer varies depending on what kind of implant system is being used. I assume you don't know?

For the metal posts (implants) to show so much? Is it normal they dig into your tongue? When are the actual teeth likely to be put on?

Well I've not been told an awfull lot I just know they wanted to do as much as possible while I was under g/a (op was 5ish hrs). Yes they seem to be cylindrical.

Is it just the top of the implant that you see, or the actual core of it? As @MountainMama mentioned, that could be the healing cap. Once the healing cap is removed, your actual implant is a bit deeper.

Right now you are waiting on the implants to integrate with your bone. This takes a few months. As @MountainMama mentioned, they will normally do a torque test to verify the implant is properly integrated and afterwards proceed with the next steps.

Seems a very long time I'll be without teeth then :( guess I'll be stuck in all summer.

I wonder if they were thinking to have you wear dentures sitting in a way they would not put any pressure on the implants.

Seems a very long time I'll be without teeth then :( guess I'll be stuck in all summer.
It does feel like a long time. I have no bottom molars on my right side, and it will be a full year before I can chew on that side, since I have to wait until the second implant has gone through the torque test (and I don't even get the implant for four months, then another four months to let it bind with the bone). I know you habe gone without teeth for quite some time, so it must be really difficult to be towards the end of it, but it still will take a while longer.

It does feel like a long time. I have no bottom molars on my right side, and it will be a full year before I can chew on that side, since I have to wait until the second implant has gone through the torque test (and I don't even get the implant for four months, then another four months to let it bind with the bone). I know you habe gone without teeth for quite some time, so it must be really difficult to be towards the end of it, but it still will take a while longer.
Mmm not sure I'm near the end he said another 2yrs.

Mmm not sure I'm near the end he said another 2yrs.

2 years?! That seems excessive. My oral surgeon said the bone can integrate to the implants in 4 to 6 months. So one year, yes, to complete everything. Of course, I don't know how it works with full implants.

There's no point in speculation here, different implant systems have different protocols on how soon they can be "loaded" with the replacement teeth.
Since Tazey can't help then I'm afraid there's no point in making guesses as to what will happen next...

There's no point in speculation here, different implant systems have different protocols on how soon they can be "loaded" with the replacement teeth.
Since Tazey can't help then I'm afraid there's no point in making guesses as to what will happen next...
well what sort of questions do I need to be asking in 2wks?

2 years?! That seems excessive. My oral surgeon said the bone can integrate to the implants in 4 to 6 months. So one year, yes, to complete everything. Of course, I don't know how it works with full implants.
yes exactly on top of 6+half its pathetic.

I am supposing that your checkup they will check how you are healing and remove any remaining sutures. When I had my single implants placed I had to wait until they had integrated with the bone, about 4 - 5 months in my case, but I had had bone grafts in two teeth, which had to be reopened to apply the healing cap, so the timing may be different. In my other molar I was always aware of the healing cap from day one.

The next step from there was impressions and then the crowns were made in the laboratory. The timescale was about 3 weeks from the impression. The dentist then removed the healing caps and placed the crowns and abutments on the implants and did any necessary adjustments.

What your body needs to do now is to heal. This is a dental phobia forum so I won’t go into the details of what happened in your mouth, but it was major surgery. I was told not to chew on my implants for a period of time to let the bone surround the implant.

Look after yourself and I hope you are feeling better with each passing day.

I am supposing that your checkup they will check how you are healing and remove any remaining sutures. When I had my single implants placed I had to wait until they had integrated with the bone, about 4 - 5 months in my case, but I had had bone grafts in two teeth, which had to be reopened to apply the healing cap, so the timing may be different. In my other molar I was always aware of the healing cap from day one.

The next step from there was impressions and then the crowns were made in the laboratory. The timescale was about 3 weeks from the impression. The dentist then removed the healing caps and placed the crowns and abutments on the implants and did any necessary adjustments.

What your body needs to do now is to heal. This is a dental phobia forum so I won’t go into the details of what happened in your mouth, but it was major surgery. I was told not to chew on my implants for a period of time to let the bone surround the implant.

Look after yourself and I hope you are feeling better with each passing day.
I guess so but don't think the stitches are being removed,urgh I have plans this summer I don't want to be stuck indoors 4/5mths. Yeah I wish other people would see it as that rather than just a minor thing,I think now the swelling/bruising has gone your expected even more to just be back to normal. (thanks)

well what sort of questions do I need to be asking in 2wks?

Maybe start off with the ones you posed at the beginning of this thread :)
If you want better information from here then knowing what implant system has been used on you would help immensely, so you could ask that too?

Back