• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is it right to use a one-half mouth mold, instead of a full-mouth mold, for a permanent crown?

J

JimTrail

Is it right to use a one-half mouth mold, instead of a full-mouth mold, for a permanent crown?

Hello;

I am thinking about getting a crown. It's my understanding that the dentist will:

1). prepare the tooth by drilling, then

2). use a one-half mouth mold to make a temporary crown, then

3). use a full mouth mold to make the permanent crown.

Is there any situation where the dentist might skip step number 2 and use the one-half mouth mold to make the permanent crown?

In other words, is it appropriate to use a one-half mouth mold to make a permanent crown instead of using a full mouth mold to make a permanent crown?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Re: Is it right to use a one-half mouth mold, instead of a full-mouth mold, for a permanent crown?

Some dentists do so. I've never quite seen the point but I suppose it saves about 20c worth of impression material :)

There's nothing particularly wrong with doing it, I just think that you can give the technician making the crown a lot more information about the general shape of the teeth if you include the whole arch in the impression.

Re: Is it right to use a one-half mouth mold, instead of a full-mouth mold, for a permanent crown?

A half mold is more comfortable for you as you'll be less likely to gag.

Thanks for the information.:)

Back