• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is It Safe To Get An Amalgam Filling Drilled And Replaced?

D

DarrenH

I just wanted to write this post (wrote the title in a search engine friendly manner for people searching on this topic) for anyone scared to have their amalgam fillings replaced.

Three days ago I had a medium sized amalgam filling in a lower back molar replaced with a composite.

I am a 25 year old male, underweight but seemingly healthy vegetarian if that is of any relevance.

Before having my amalgam filling replaced I read many articles online about how you need special equipment to do this including

• An alternate air supply for your nose
  • A rubber dam
  • You Face covered
  • A vitamin C drip
  • A special diet

etc etc etc

Whilst an alternate air supply, your face covered and a rubber dam may probably be good ideas because of the release of mercury vapor, I had none of these (I did have goggles though)

As I said three days ago I had the filling grinded out, not sectioned like online best practice suggested, suction was used very close to the drilling and water was used to keep the drilling site cool.

I'm happy to say I am feeling absolutely fine! I don't feel any ill affects, even without the perhaps sensible precautions.

So if you need to have amalgam fillings replaced, please do not be scared of being poisoned, of course take all the necessary sensible precautions (even if some may just be more for peace of kind_, but even without them if you're healthy you should probably feel no ill effects from it.

I have to have an amalgum replaced with composite.

Can I ask you if the procedure (for the patient) is any different than getting a regular filling?

I have to have an amalgum replaced with composite.

Can I ask you if the procedure (for the patient) is any different than getting a regular filling?

Took a longish time to place the new filling was the only thing, maybe 10 minutes, because they do it by layers, they put one layer on, use the light, one layer on, use, the light etc then he smoothed it down for me.

When I was done, I am a bit extreme my friends think.. lol but I really don't like the idea of mercury being on me, so when I got out of the dentist i rinsed my mouth out with water a few times (I did that as well after in the chair)

And when I got home I took my clothes off and put them straight in the washing machine and had a shower..

But the excessive rinsing and washing was for my own personal peace of mind lol that actual procedure wasn't bad at all.

I just wanted to write this post (wrote the title in a search engine friendly manner for people searching on this topic) for anyone scared to have their amalgam fillings replaced.

Three days ago I had a medium sized amalgam filling in a lower back molar replaced with a composite.

I am a 25 year old male, underweight but seemingly healthy vegetarian if that is of any relevance.

Before having my amalgam filling replaced I read many articles online about how you need special equipment to do this including

• An alternate air supply for your nose
  • A rubber dam
  • You Face covered
  • A vitamin C drip
  • A special diet

etc etc etc

Whilst an alternate air supply, your face covered and a rubber dam may probably be good ideas because of the release of mercury vapor, I had none of these (I did have goggles though)

As I said three days ago I had the filling grinded out, not sectioned like online best practice suggested, suction was used very close to the drilling and water was used to keep the drilling site cool.

I'm happy to say I am feeling absolutely fine! I don't feel any ill affects, even without the perhaps sensible precautions.

So if you need to have amalgam fillings replaced, please do not be scared of being poisoned, of course take all the necessary sensible precautions (even if some may just be more for peace of kind_, but even without them if you're healthy you should probably feel no ill effects from it.

I am teenager who is mostly afraid of the shots and of the root canal I don't know what to do:clover: I need some help that's why I joined this website :confused:

There is a lot of trash written on the internet about amalgam. Don't worry about it. As to a rubber dam it is always a good idea when doing fillings, especially composites.

There is no need to be afraid of the injections, if you ask your dentist to use a gel called topical on your gum before injecting, and then injecting really slowly you shouldn't feel it, maybe a slight sting that lasts for a couple of seconds at the most. A root canal is not as awful as some people make out, anybody that has had one will tell you it is quite boring for us as patients once the injections and the little bit of drilling is done, it is very quiet and you will be able to relax a bit until it is finished. I have had two and felt nothing, not even the injections.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover:

Back