• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is it safe to go to the dentist in the UK at the moment?

T

Thecatsmother

Hello , I have been lurking for a while in the hope of getting advice and support. I've been terrified of the dentist since I was a child - my parents were petrified too and it rubbed off on me. 12 years ago, I screwed up my courage and paid for private treatment under IV sedation, and was able to get my teeth in good order, but this used up all my available funds. All I could afford since then has been checkups and small fillings. Now I have savings once more, and would like to ask: How is your experience of dentistry in the UK at the moment? Is it safe? I ask this as I have severe health anxiety which has been ramped up to the absolute heights with the pandemic, leaving me agoraphobic and afraid to leave the house.

I been for checkups and a treatment n my wisdom teeth, since dentist have reopened after the early lockdown earlier this year, the dentist practice I attend has done all their can to keep us safe.

I have to go private for checkups but the treatment on my wisdom tooth was done under the NHS. the crown I need as my root canal tooth has now cracked needs a crown, this will be done on NHS.

I hate my teeth and hate going to the dentist even though I go every 3-4 months.

Good luck.

Thank you for your reply, I hate going to the dentist too but realise it's necessary.

Hey thecatsmother

I went to my dentist in August (UK, private) for a check up and a cleaning and I felt very safe. Limited amount of people in the building, masks on when not in the chair, and they had plenty of hand sanitiser about for patients to use. They also took my temperature before I got in to make sure it was in the normal range.

Hope this helps ?

I attend an NHS practice in UK (they do provide private too). So they phoned me the day before to run through the covid checklist and for me to make my payment over the phone. When I went for my appointment they are allowing 3 people to sit in the waiting room (its quite a small surgery). They took my temp on arrival, gave me hand sanitiser and a mask.

The dentist had PPE on - scrubs, gloves, mask and glasses at my first appt. At the second she wore complete PPE as did the assistant as I needed aerosol treatment. After my treatment they had to clean the room and disinfect it all. It had to then be empty for 2 hours afterwards.

I felt very safe in terms of covid and can't fault the way they're managing it.

I'd say its quite safe right now but they're not running full services yet (or certainly my surgery isn't)

Thank you for your reply, that's very reassuring.

The pratice I attend has the soap pumps as you enter to wash your hands, the waiting room is open, if the dentist you are seeing is running behind (but there is a maximum of three people which can be in the waiting room at one time, sitting)

Soap pumps also at reception, and the dentist now gives you the soap as well before you start the exam, or treatment. dentist in full PPE. I needed aerosol this time I needed to have a small cavity fill in my wisdom tooth.

Probably the same will be done when I have my first of two parts of my crown treatment. next month.

Currently checkups are private and any treatment can be done on the NHS (as I am a NHS dental patient, unemployed

Thank you for the reassurance, it's very much appreciated

I have an appointment tomorrow with it being a medical enviroment I'm sure they are fully prepared,not had an appointment since march it's not the hospital I normally go to it's a private place. Doesn't stop me being nervous but it's a lot smaller.

Thank you and good luck for tomorrow x

Back