• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is it safe Xanax w/antibio. OR should I go w/gas?

R

Roxy

I will be having a root canal done this coming Tues. and am getting more nervous by the minute about it. I need to be on an antibiotic first off for my heart murmur and then I chose (but not positive on yet), the anxiety pill called Xanax to take an hour before. My question is, I am suppose to take the 4 pills of Clindamycin (150 mgs- the antibiotic) an hour before I go and then also the Xanax at the same time, an hour before I go....is that all safe to take at once??? I mean, won't you get some sort of reaction to taking them altogether? Plus you're not suppose to eat any thing before you take all these (2 hrs. before). I have always heard that you're not suppose to mix medications that close and then this. Also......my other big question that I am really wondering about (I have asked this on other boards but haven't had a big response and as the time gets closer I am really on edge here), is how does gas differ from the Xanax? I was thinking possibly going that route instead with having to take all these antibiotics at once. Does one or the other relax you any better or does one or the other put you more out? I know the dentist said that with the Xanax you will need a driver but not with the gas and with the Xanax you will feel really out of it and want to sleep for the next 6 hrs. So then does the Xanax make you more sleepy as you are getting your root canal?
I was also worried about the risks of either, esp the Xanax w/heart murmur but some people on the board said there is nothing to fear there. I am sure I have to make my mind up by tomorrow, Mon. to let them know ahead about if I will be taking the pill or needing the gas but I just can't make my mind up?!?!
Thanks,
Roxy

Re: Is it safe Xanax w/antibio. OR should I go w/g

Never seen so many questions in one post before :)

I'll try and get through them all, sorry if I miss some...

It's safe to mix antibiotics and Xanax. It's safe to take them without eating. Xanax and gas (? Nitrous oxide) work differently, you should have had the differences explained to you by the dentist really, it's a bit much to go into via a website. Neither will "put you out" more than the other, they just sort of work differently. Heck you can have both if you want, they do complement each other quite well.
The heart murmur is irrelevant to the sedation.

:)
Hi,
Just thought I'd let you know what I chose as far as the Xanax or gas (nitro). I have more on my root canal under the procedure board. I ended up getting the real bad flue bug and had to change my root canal appt. Then on the day it was scheduled I didn't have anyone to drive me there or home so I went with the gas. It was my first time having it but it went great! I ended up falling right to sleep and was out of it for the most part. Didn't feel a thing. I did come to a few times and felt them working in my mouth but had no pain what so ever. I'm not sure if it would have been that way if my tooth wasn't dead. I have heard some say that when they need a root canal and their tooth isn't dead and in a lot of pain they have more discomfort during the procedure. Not sure if this is so or if each person is different? But since after the r/c I am doing great. No pain or any thing. I am due for my permant filling in 2 weeks along with them doing a mold then also of the tooth. Then the crown put on 2 weeks after that. I'm still a little worried about that because I know I won't be given gas for that, lol!! I'll also have a totally different dentist for doing the crown part of it.
Well, thought I'd let you all know how things went.
Roxy

Thank you for letting us know all this Roxy, the most frustrating thing about this site is not hearing how people have got on, or if any of our advice has been of any use whatsoever.

:jump: for getting it all sorted out.

Back