• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is it wrong to not want to switch dentists?

F

firelight

Hi everyone,

I got a call last week about scheduling a recall appointment (can't believe it's already that time again :(). They asked if I wanted to continue seeing the same dentist I've been with for the past couple of years, or switch to one of the dentists in the practice.

I think they're expanding as a clinic and the dentist I see (Dr H) is the main dentist, so he has the heaviest patient load. They're probably trying to get patients to see the other dentists so that the patient load is more even I guess?

Anyway I said I wanted to continue seeing Dr H because I've seen him a couple of times now and I'm fairly comfortable with him. It took forever over the phone to find an appointment slot for a month out because he's so busy, and I feel terrible about it because I'm sure things would have been a lot easier for the receptionist if I'd just said OK to seeing one of the other dentists. (Actually it would have been easier for me too, because I would probably have been able to get an appointment that I wouldn't have to skip work for). I feel like I'm inconveniencing them or something by not being willing to switch dentists, especially after the receptionist spoke at length about how the other dentists are really professional as well etc.

Personally I can't bear the thought of seeing someone new (even though I'm sure they'd be good since they were hired by Dr H). Although I'm not as terrified as before and I don't usually need much treatment, I still get super nervous about seeing the dentist and want to make sure everything goes as smoothly as possible. It took so long to work up the courage to even see a dentist at all a few years back, and I want to put off switching dentists for as long as possible (although that might be a bit irrational maybe?).

I'm probably just thinking too much about this but everything to do with dentistry fills me with so much anxiety and even things like this bother me quite a bit :shame: Just wanted to express my worries somewhere since it's been on my mind for a while now. :(

Firelight,

Just want to say that you wanting to stick with the dentist you are comfortable with and not wanting to switch is very valid and not at all irrational ! Never let anyone take that away from you! Your dentist helped you feel comfortable and that is huge and shouldn't be taken away for their convenience sake.. I know he may have a lot of patients and a little longer wait but most likely worth it ,, especially to your peace of mind ! and . I work for a medical clinic, we get cancels , so if you try a bit, you may be able to move days up a bit.

That is my biggest fear too.. that finally after I found someone I am completely comfortable with I will have to switch. Thankfully my dentist has fully reassured me of my place with him in his practice. :). as I've made sure to ask several times for reassurement. He's a gem and I'd never want to give him up.

I'm sure the receptionists have to try to get some other patients for the new docs as part of their job so don't take it personal if they do,, its nothing with you, its just they are trying but you don't have to be the one to do it.. Some people literally don't care and will take the first person. When they are making these calls they may not know the relationship you have with how your dentist helped you and how you feel comfortable.

So I really encourage you to stick in there and tell them you want to see your dentist and prefer not to switch. and also when it is appt time. Call a day a head just to verify they didn't do a switcheroo..no surprises day of, for your peace of minds sake :).

Don’t worry about it. Think about the positive side. If you need to be seen quicker in the future you know the practice will have other dentists available. I’m sure the clinic is happy to still have you as a client , no matter what dentist you see. The receptionist job is to help with the scheduling, so she was simply her usual work, you were not asking anything out of the ordinary.

I absolutely second krlovesherkids and geos. The receptionist asked you wether you would like to keep your dentist or switch, that means they are aware that seeing the same dentist for a treatment is very important for some patients, which is great. The receptionist doesn't care about who you see, she is just scheduling and is very used to scroll through the calender trying to find a suitable appointment (just imagine a patient that only is available on Wednesdays between 4:00 and 4:30 pm and Fridays before 8:30 am etc.)
It is a part of the dental fear to believe one is being a burden to the dental team or making unreasonable demands and none of it is true.
Glad to read that you have successfully scheduled an appointment with your trusted dentist:)

I think whatever you are comfortable with is absolutely fine. If the dentist of your choice didn’t have capacity, they wouldn’t have allowed you to schedule an appointment.

My mum chops and changes dentist (and surgery) all the time - she doesn’t care who she sees, just that it’s convenient. On the flip-side, my friend rang to make an appointment for a check-up yesterday because she is due to go this month, and the earliest appointment she could get with her own dentist is Christmas Eve. She’s happy to wait they long to see him. I am somewhere in the middle - I switched to my current dentist when my previous dentist went on maternity leave. When the previous dentist came back it was part-time and her days didn’t work well with my teaching schedule, so I opted to stay with her replacement. I think for me it’s the surgery that’s must important as I have seen various people because of holidays, emergency slots and so on. I know the practice, am familiar with all the staff, and know they work to a high standard and are all very kind. Daft things like knowing the names of the receptionists, and where the loos are, are really important to me!

I think it's completely fine to want to stick with the same dentist. Like you mentioned yourself it take a lot for you to even see a dentist to start with. I think that when you take that step and find someone you can trust to do your dental work and feel comfortable with it does help a lot. You have been with him a few years he knows how you feel with being nervous or anxious so he knows how to treat you in the most comfortable way he can. I don't see anything wrong with sticking with him. I was the same I've been to the dentist once in the last decade or so and the dentist was great she gave me 3 fillings and I felt no pain whatsoever, the problem was that one of the teeth she filled has broke off. I phoned the practice straight away and the receptionist said she could have me see another dentist within a few days but I chose to wait 4 weeks to see the woman who treated me previously because she is great with my anxiety and fear, so for me personally I'd rather wait and not have to explain and go through everything with a new dentist I'm due there tomorrow. Don't change your dentist if your happy with the one you have :)

Thanks for the reassurance krlovesherkids, geos, Enarete, Judythecat and Tinydancer! :)

It is a part of the dental fear to believe one is being a burden to the dental team or making unreasonable demands and none of it is true.

I think this absolutely hit the nail on the head. Now that I think about it, it really isn't an unreasonable demand to want to see the same dentist. I guess I felt like I was disappointing the team somehow by not making their lives just that bit easier, like I was taking away from the other dentists' business or annoying the receptionist by getting her to hunt for an appointment slot I could attend. It's probably the dental anxiety speaking :redface:

And as Judythecat said, some people don't care about who they see, so I probably spent way too long worrying about the receptionist just doing her job. Oops.

I was the same I've been to the dentist once in the last decade or so and the dentist was great she gave me 3 fillings and I felt no pain whatsoever, the problem was that one of the teeth she filled has broke off. I phoned the practice straight away and the receptionist said she could have me see another dentist within a few days but I chose to wait 4 weeks to see the woman who treated me previously because she is great with my anxiety and fear, so for me personally I'd rather wait and not have to explain and go through everything with a new dentist I'm due there tomorrow. Don't change your dentist if your happy with the one you have :)

This was really comforting to read as well. I don't mind waiting for a few weeks longer if it means a slightly easier visit.

So I really encourage you to stick in there and tell them you want to see your dentist and prefer not to switch. and also when it is appt time. Call a day a head just to verify they didn't do a switcheroo..no surprises day of, for your peace of minds sake :).

That's an excellent idea krlovesherkids, I'll definitely call the day before the appointment!

I guess with so many chain dentists around and with most people around me being ok with seeing any dentist, I felt like it was somehow wrong for me to insist on continuing my care with the same dentist.

Thanks for putting things into perspective, everyone. Now I'm just hoping I don't lose too much sleep in the coming weeks over the visit :redface: Such a worryguts! My dentist knows I'm a nervous patient but I don't think he understands how truly anxious I am with every visit, because I've never explicitly told him and I try to hide it. I just want to keep going back to him because he's way more gentle and kind than the dentists that caused my fear in the first place and I don't want to give that up.

I refused to swap dentists at the pratice a few times before getting my current dentist, reception tried to get me to see my first dentist before she retired due to ill health (was known as the wicked witch of the west)

There are only two other dentists at the pratice I will see if my current dentist is away or ill.

Emergecies are different I will take any of them

Back