• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is itching gums a cause for concern?

L

LuLa

I have many fillings because of a domistic abuse situation I was in,at the end its my fault, but I was really struggling to just make it by and my teeth were a casualty of that living situtation. By the time I was able to get out of this situation I had several cavities that I could see and feel, and my mouth was constantly aching and on fire. I have had people say to me maybe my dentists is overly drill happy, but the reality of it is he has made an effort to be pretty conservative with my treatment, which I appreciate. Since then I have been to a dentist and been working with him over the last 8 months to stabilize what I can. I have something like 15 cavities that have been filled in, no root canals,crowns, nor lost teeth, yet. I am already uneasy about this fact however and it causes me a lot of anxiety now because I worry about this almost non-stop.1- The last 2 months I have an itching sensation in several of my teeth along my gums on the inside of my mouth. 2-There is also a consistent pain that I feel that feels like its causing pains other areas of my body, my jaw neck back chest arms and even legs, which seems pretty bizare to me. It is almost like I feel stiff in my muscles, or less mobile than I should be. 3- I feel acutely aware of certain areas between my teeth of my mouth, particularly the gums between a few of my teeth on the right side of my face, both uper and lower teeth, that feels like the gums are overly sensitive, almost like their might be gaps there below my gum line, like in between my teeth.

I am getting some extreme anxiety about my situation and prospects like I have ruined my mouth and my smile for life, and I know reasonably thats probably not true, but its a hugely emotional thing for me. My dentist did do the fillings over 3 different trips to the dentists and I am supposed to be caught up, he finished off the last fillings 4 months ago and encouraged me saying I was caught up with the fillings

So what I want to know is for someone like me with my 3 problems listed above, are those real problems or am I just imagining it? If they are real problems how common are they, and/or are these problems that are not uncommon for people to feel like they are experiencing when they really aren't?

I have a dental appointment coming up next week. So I am trying to prepare myself with the right questions I should be asking, or what I should be telling my dentists once I am there.

I would appreciate any advice from anyone on this, and Thank you in advance.

Hi LuLa, I'm not a dentist, but from what I've learnt here over the years, 1) and 3) are most commonly due to your gums being a little irritated. The key is to clean once a day between teeth and to brush twice a day. We've got a page here with all the ins and outs on how to best do this: https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/faq/gum-disease/ .

If you're already following all this advice, it could also be an allergy to something, in which case it might be wise to consult with a doctor. Also be sure to mention it to your dentist and see what they think the cause might be.

Regarding number 2) (pains in other areas of your body), this is unlikely to be related to your dental health. It could be that you're run down, stressed, not getting enough sleep, sleeping in an awkward position or something else altogether, but only a medical doctor would be able to make an educated guess, so do make sure you see a doctor and ask them about it :).

Hi LuLa, I'm not a dentist, but from what I've learnt here over the years, 1) and 3) are most commonly due to your gums being a little irritated. The key is to clean once a day between teeth and to brush twice a day. We've got a page here with all the ins and outs on how to best do this: https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/faq/gum-disease/ .

If you're already following all this advice, it could also be an allergy to something, in which case it might be wise to consult with a doctor. Also be sure to mention it to your dentist and see what they think the cause might be.

Regarding number 2) (pains in other areas of your body), this is unlikely to be related to your dental health. It could be that you're run down, stressed, not getting enough sleep, sleeping in an awkward position or something else altogether, but only a medical doctor would be able to make an educated guess, so do make sure you see a doctor and ask them about it :).

Thank You so much for the response! I am relieved to hear these things. I will bring these up with my dentist and go from there. Thank you again!

Back