• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is laser surgery worth it?

M

Mygumshurt

Hi all,

I've had periodontal disease for a few years now and have finally decided that I can't live like this anymore. It's painful every day and the bleeding is embarrassing. I recently had a miscarriage, but now I plan on trying again next year. It may be unrelated, but I don't want my dental health to put the baby at risk. I don't want to lose another child...

My question is, since the surgery isn't guaranteed to help fix this disease, is it worth it? They are asking for $8,000... I don't even know how I'm going to afford that monthly payment, but I'm desperate and don't want to feel this way anymore. I'm scared the surgery will fail and I'm left with a bill that I can barely afford to pay.

To those of you who had the surgery, how did you turn out? Are you happy with your decision?

Thanks everyone...

Hi Mygumshurt :welcome:,

sorry to read about your situation and about the miscarriage :( sounds like you are ready to move on andfind a solution for the periodontal disease.

I sadly can't be of much help as I don't have any experience with laser surgery, but $8.000 sounds like a lot of money so I see you want to have some guarantees. With things like this, getting a second opinion and some more information may be a good idea. Your dentist should be able to explain to you, whether it is worth it and what the success rates are, what other options you have etc. - provided it's a practice you feel comfortable at and not like they only want to sell you something. I would always get a second opinion before commiting to a bigger treatment.

All the best wishes and hope someone with experience replies soon too

Back