• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is my blood clot dissolving too early?

C

carlom

5 days ago I had my upper right number 3 molar extracted. It was an old root canal that I wanted removed. It was an easy extraction and I had no pain or swelling at all. It has been about 4 days and 6 hours since I got the blood clot to form. Last night was my first solid food mean which consisted of chicken, soft pasta and sweet potato. Ive been gently rinsing with salt water after meals and have been very paranoid about dry socket and am doing all I can to avoid it. This morning I woke up and noticed that the clot appears to have receded or dissolved a bit. I can still see it, it just looks smaller. the gums look like they are staring to curve inwards toward the extraction site. I would like to know if this is normal healing process or if I am at risk of getting dry socket. My dentist likes to take 3 days off so I cant get a hold of them until tomorrow and Im super paranoid

That's fine. I'd say four days is mostly long enough that it shouldn't be a worry. You don't have any of the symptoms.

Remember, dry socket is a rare complication, especially in an easy extraction with little trauma.

That's fine. I'd say four days is mostly long enough that it shouldn't be a worry. You don't have any of the symptoms.

Remember, dry socket is a rare complication, especially in an easy extraction with little trauma.

Thank you for responding Sevena. That makes me feel a bit better. I just thought it was weird that after my first meal of food that involved light chewing my blood clot appeared to dissolve somewhat. With all the conflicting info on the web I get driven mad with paranoia, reading stories about peoples clot getting messed up after seven days and then getting dry socket. I wish there was a way I could see photos of what the normal healing process of an upper molar extraction should look like. Thanks again

Thank you for responding Sevena. That makes me feel a bit better. I just thought it was weird that after my first meal of food that involved light chewing my blood clot appeared to dissolve somewhat. With all the conflicting info on the web I get driven mad with paranoia, reading stories about peoples clot getting messed up after seven days and then getting dry socket. I wish there was a way I could see photos of what the normal healing process of an upper molar extraction should look like. Thanks again

So now I have another issue that I cant find any info on. I keep getting small froth bubbles in the extraction site which obscures my view of the blood clot. Any clue what this can be?

Back