• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is my crown infected?

K

kellyrosie88

Hey! i'm petrified of the dentist but have a dentist appointment 12th march, i've recently gone private and been prescribed antibiotics for an abscess, the weird thing is i experience no pain as it's on my crown tooth.
I'm wondering how my crown tooth is infected if i have no pain? the only symptom i have is a swollen gum in that area and i think my lympnodes are up.
I'm so scared that it'll need replacing or removed has anyone had anything similar?

You can have an abscess without pain. The infection bursts through the thin plate of bone over the root of the tooth, removes the pressure and then it doesn't hurt. That's why your lymph nodes are involved.

You can have an abscess without pain. The infection bursts through the thin plate of bone over the root of the tooth, removes the pressure and then it doesn't hurt. That's why your lymph nodes are involved.
Thank you for your response, this is the strange thing though i've had a route canal on that tooth so i have no roots there, the crown has come off before and they were cleaning the inside and i felt nothing - so everything has been removed under the tooth.

I don't understand your point? If there's an abscess present, whether you felt anything when the crown was removed or not isn't relevant.

I don't understand your point? If there's an abscess present, whether you felt anything when the crown was removed or not isn't relevant.
I don't know much about teeth so i didnt realise i'd still have roots under my crown, i went today and unfortunately cant afford a re-route canal and new crown so the dentist said i have to have the crown removed and an extraction of the tooth :(

Its the nerve/nerve tissue removed during a root canal, not the actual root.

Back