• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is my filling breaking off near the tongue side of my tooth? Picture attached.

S

S.U.

Is my filling breaking off near the tongue side of my tooth? Picture attached.

I got my bottom right molar filled almost 8 years ago. Since then, small silver pieces came off, but my dentist just filed them down and was not concerned. Now I noticed what looks like a hole near the tongue side of my tooth where the filling curves and is the widest and deepest. I'm concerned because my dentist said this was a big filling (even though it hurt when he didn't numb it). I think the assistant said the dentist needed a double silver pack to fill my molar, which makes sense since the picture I attached shows that the front half of my tooth is grey on the side going down to near the gum. I'm hoping it's not a hole, since the dentist drilled so close to the edge of my tooth that he will need to now drill the side away to fix it. I'm not a big fan of the silver, but I didn't complain, since the dentist said I needed it. I really don't want more silver.But if I have a new hole, what will the dentist do to fix it? I'm scared to have any more drilling on this tooth. I still remember the burning smell and stinging as the drill went deeper into this tooth.IMAG2117.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Is my filling breaking off near the tongue side of my tooth? Picture attached.

It's really hard to say from this photo, but from your description, you really need to find a better dentist! Sorry :(

There's no excuse for not giving local or having a burning tooth while it's being fixed!

Re: Is my filling breaking off near the tongue side of my tooth? Picture attached.

Here is another couple of pictures I was able to take of my filled molar with a mirror. I'd be happy if my tooth can be left alone and I can just keep the tooth with the silver it already has in it, and not need anything else done. I'm nervous because the filling is already deep from the first time I had this tooth drilled for a big cavity. I can see just how deep the dentist drilled from how far the grey goes on the front half of my tooth (someone told me this is my silver filling showing through in the deepest part of my cavity.I hope I don't need more drilling on this tooth.
IMAG2157.jpgIMAG2160.jpg

From the photos it all looks OK, but I'd really need to see it to be definite.

Back