• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is my molar extraction site developing an infection?

O

oww_my_tooth

On Friday of last week (April 11), I had two teeth removed (my first time at this) that were not candidates for root canals. The back left molar was a fairly lengthy removal, but there were no complications during removal. I had premolar out on the same side. The molar was the most bleedy of the two extractions and is now causing some concern.

I requested a date to follow-up with my dentist, but until I get there, can someone answer a question?

First things first: I do not have any unexpected or sudden, excruciating pain. My breath only smells of dinner (confirmed by boyfriend), but my mouth doesn't taste that great (to me), especially when I sleep! :(

I'm worried a clot/granulation tissue is dissolving or getting infection because a small flap of tissue that had been hanging in there finally fell/tore itself out (painlessly) while I was rinsing with salt water and it was greyish in color and smelled absolutely rotten, sharp, and "yeah that's decay" kind of smell. It was like a tiny square flap that was smaller than the tip of my index finger, but packed a punch of a smell.

Now when I feel back there gently with with a tongue, I feel more flappy loose tissue (not a lot) and I can feel spongy/wet jelly kind of tissue in the socket, so I think maybe the tissue that came out was covering this and got dislodged. That stuff does not have a bad taste and I can't smell anything, but I'm betting it will later after I go to sleep. I'm too terrified to get a visual myself, hence the follow-up.

I do not smoke, I followed all recommendations (I even gave up on my birth control pill for the month as soon as I read online that it can complicate healing), the first solid thing I ate was tonight and that was super mushy risotto with the opposite side. I rinsed thoroughly with salt water post eating and I've been absolutely militant about taking antihistamine (Zyrtec) to keep from getting sneezy. I've blown my nose once, but not hard.

The pre-molar extraction site feels great. No worries, no pain, no flappy skin, and I think it's a champ at healing.

Before tonight I had been eating nothing but super foods in greek yogurty, milky shake form with plenty of citrus for Vitamin C (save one slice of sandwich bread that was soft and I ate it in 20 pieces). I even add in a multivitamin to make sure I'm not deficient of anything while healing. It's loaded with all of the hair, skin, and nails stuff. There should be no issue on micronutrients or proteins. If I sweetened it, I used Stevia. I've had a sugar-free diet. I haven't spit, swished, nor have I used a straw (I purposely use a very wide mouthed mason jar that forces me to sip small sips). I didn't brush my extraction sites too soon.

I wouldn't be very concerned if that tiny flap hadn't smelled so rotten. :/ Was it rotten because it was a flap that was just dying/sloughing off?

Anyone else had this happen? Is this normal? Should I expect some more procedural stuff when I go back? I've developed quite the anxious nature when it comes to my dentist, even though he is the biggest sweetheart of a dentist you could ask for. Pain... :/

Hi oww_my_tooth!

Sorry to hear your having concerns about your extraction site!

If you are following the post operative instructions and aren't feeling any pain in the extraction site / discomfort in your lymph nodes, then the little flaps of squishy skin you have breaking off are probably just dead gum tissue that are supposed to go anyway.

However, if you feel the blood blot / tissues in the socket have become dislodged / disappeared, you need to see a dentist. The blood clot that forms in the socket after an extraction is vital to the healing process. :)

Of course, stay away from sucking on straws, smoking, exercising and playing with the site. I know the tongue is like a magnet to anything new in the mouth but it's important to keep the pesky bugger away! :)

I appreciate the input.

However, after a few hours' rest, it feels the clot is even farther gone. Like it's slowly disappearing. And it tasted a little bad when I swallowed. So worried. Anyone have any recommendations as to what to do before I can get to the dentist to prevent a total dislodge?

So worried that I'm going to end up in severe pain after going through some pain with extraction that was to make me healthier, not worse!! :(

Maybe it was just a piece of food stuck in the hole.

Back