• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is very afraid of dentistry or who suffers with dental phobia. Please note that this is NOT a general dental forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is my tooth extraction site infected?

L

Lelokei

I got my tooth extracted 4 days ago. It was bleeding for quite a few hours, and i didn't eat/drink or anything until the blood clot was formed. I took some weak pain meds but just in case. Overall i never really felt the pain.
The next morning the wound/the clot was blackish with some white/yellow fluid spreaded over it and around it.
Throughout the days the hole got smaller and sunk a bit, the amount of white/yellow stuff increased.
The swelling is the same as the first day, i do feel slight pinching from time to time, on the cheek side of the jawbone.
I softly rinsed it with salt water and camomile.
Is the site infected?

carole

carole

Forum Buddy
Hi it sounds like it is healing really well, the pinching is normal and the yellow/whitish stuff is normal too it all means you are fine.

If you are still worried or if you get really bad pain that pain meds don't help then do contact your dentist. I am not a dentist this is just my opinion :)

L

Lelokei

Thank you :) I was really scared..
And i havo no pain, never had it, i was just taking the meds in case the stuff they numb you with wore off(it wasn't a wisdom tooth, so they just numbed it)
Another thing, i forgot to add that the blood clot is getting sunken in as well.. like the gums were eating it or something.. Is this normal?
Is all the dirt and the old blood supposed to go inside of you, or could this be dangerous?
And i also have a faulty taste that seems like its coming from there, mostly in mornings.

carole

carole

Forum Buddy
The clot will disappear as it heals. The extraction site heals from the inside out, things really sound very normal and very good. Try not to worry things are fine. It is a worry when we have treatment and don't know what to expect but all the signs with you are that you have had a perfect text book extraction.

Well done and try not to stress :)

L

Lelokei

Thank you so much ?

L

Lelokei

I'm sorry for so many questions, but just like you said, my blood clot fell out/went away. Now there's just a hole that looks like it's covered with gum tissue i guess.
I couldn't avoid food getting in there, is this a problem?

carole

carole

Forum Buddy
No it isn't a problem, just keep rinsing if it happens and it will work it's way out. I am pleased for you that every thing is now fine and you are not worried anymore.

All the best to you :)