• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is shade A2 a good denture colour

Roxy2015

Roxy2015

Hey guys,

i had my moulds done yesterday and also my wax bite, and the dentist spent all of 30seconds talking about colour shades for my immediate dentures, when my teeth are extracted in three weeks. I’d done some homework and quite liked the shade B2 but he said that would be too white for me and recommended A2 instead which I went with. After googling the results now, it does seem quite yellowish still. On the vita shade chart thing in the dentist A2 and B 2 looked so similar, but they are not really.

if it makes any difference, I’m 50 and blonde, I’d love your views on this

thanks

Roxy,

Hi, Shades are quite the thing to deal with and seem to be more complicated than one would think.. In getting both an implant and more crowns last year I had a few experiences with shade picking.. and found out it is quite the science and specialty.. I also remember years ago a dentist letting me pick the color well I picked a nice white one but problem is it doens't match the rest of my teeth so I have a few teeth that are a lot white than my other teeth which really doesn't look great.. so I wish he had matched it a little more closer to others.. and am working on slowly getting them one by one with new crowns.. I know this is something to consider the surrounding teeth, and also the material of the crowns. as well as translucity or something .. My dentist sent me to the lab for them to special pick the color, then they even tested in various lights around the building I really never had quite the complex color picking and testing :)..

I hope you get the best color for you and your smile..! :)...

I’m afraid I won’t have any surrounding teeth they will all be going lol. I think I’ll make do with the A2 immediates but when it comes too the permanent ones 6 months down the line I will insist for more thought to be put in the colour

I've had this conservation many times over the years.
My advice is different based on these experiences and I'll explain why.
I save far more dentitions than I replace so usually I'm working at matching and blending but your case is different. Your teeth suffered so much that they had to be removed. You now have a new start.
The question as to color is for you to decide. How do you want the new you to look?
During this healing phase you have plenty of time to consider your options. It is very cheap to be an ebay vita shade guide. While not the same they are close. Use it along with a trusted friend to settle on a choice.
Make sure any desires are shared with your dentist early on. It may be useful to bring in a good smile picture from years ago. How much teeth did you show when you smiled? Did you have large teeth? Denture teeth are typically on the small size.

I've had this conservation many times over the years.My advice is different based on these experiences and I'll explain why.I save far more dentitions than I replace so usually I'm working at matching and blending but your case is different. Your teeth suffered so much that they had to be removed. You now have a new start.The question as to color is for you to decide. How do you want the new you to look?During this healing phase you have plenty of time to consider your options. It is very cheap to be an ebay vita shade guide. While not the same they are close. Use it along with a trusted friend to settle on a choice.Make sure any desires are shared with your dentist early on. It may be useful to bring in a good smile picture from years ago. How much teeth did you show when you smiled? Did you have large teeth? Denture teeth are typically on the small size.
At what stage should you be asked about colour etc? my consultant has been doing try ins+not asked at all what I'd like or shown me any pix of what it could look like is this normal?

Hi everyone sorry I’ve been quite ill lately so sorry I didn’t get back. Thanks everyone for posting. Tazey I spoke out about the colour as for me it’s important. My whole life I’ve had dreadful teeth so now I want to have a wonderful smile. For me A2 will be fine for my immediates however for my permenant dentures I really will be quite outspoken about the look and colour as it’s importnt that my dentures look good and natural. Thanks everyone xx

I have A2's and they are stunning! I am also without any other teeth, and after decades of being ashamed to even open my mouth, let alone smile, I wanted them to look great! They also look natural though, for a woman of 60, which was important to me too.

Good luck with yours.

I don’t have dentures, but think LittleLynnie makes an excellent point about a natural look. My mum got implants for a couple of lower front teeth a few years ago, in her 60s, and the dentist tried to persuade her to get a load of dazzling white veneers on her other teeth, and the implants to match. She opted to match the implants to her natural teeth, and while they don’t look Hollywood white, they look great. Bright white, perfect teeth on a person of her age would have looked really odd, and obviously false. (FWIW, I teach a girl who recently had her teeth veneered, and even though she’s 22, they look too perfect and fake.)

I have A2's and they are stunning! I am also without any other teeth, and after decades of being ashamed to even open my mouth, let alone smile, I wanted them to look great! They also look natural though, for a woman of 60, which was important to me too.

Good luck with yours.

Ahh thanks LittleLynnie that’s so great to hear ?

I don’t have dentures, but think LittleLynnie makes an excellent point about a natural look. My mum got implants for a couple of lower front teeth a few years ago, in her 60s, and the dentist tried to persuade her to get a load of dazzling white veneers on her other teeth, and the implants to match. She opted to match the implants to her natural teeth, and while they don’t look Hollywood white, they look great. Bright white, perfect teeth on a person of her age would have looked really odd, and obviously false. (FWIW, I teach a girl who recently had her teeth veneered, and even though she’s 22, they look too perfect and fake.)

Thank you, haha oh dear there’s no way I want Simon cowell white, I’m sure it’s great for some, for me though it’s all about natural ? I’m so pleased your mum got the colour she wanted and wasn’t pushed into getting ultra white

Back