• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is some pus normal after extraction?

A

anxietyfort

I had a wisdom tooth extracted almost 2 weeks ago. Last Tuesday I had to go back in because a knot was forming and the surgeon said it wasn't healing well and decided to open it back up and clean it out. He stitched me back up and told me that should fix it.

Well, here I am 4 days later and I am getting an awful taste in my mouth again and my jaw extraction site still seems sore and raw. I have noticed pus leaking from the extraction site and I keep doing salt water rinses as well as some medicated rinse stuff he prescribed as well. The puss won't stop coming.

Is this typical? I thought I should be mostly healed by now. I am on Cephalexin as an antibiotic and I'm starting to think that this antibiotic sucks and isn't working at all. I am keeping my mouth clean and do the rinses 4-5 times a day and I irrigate it after every meal and even a couple of times between meals just to make sure...

contact the surgeon pus days after an extraction is not typical

Back