• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is there a maximum safe level of local anesthetic for extractions?

C

colm

Just wondering after my experience with an aborted extraction today if there is a maximum level of local anesthetic that can be injected by a dentist. Basically my dentist gave me a couple of injections and when I was still in pain, made me wait half an hour in reception while he saw someone else, brought me back in, gave me another injection, this time, according to him, in the bone, and after a minute or two had another go at pulling out the tooth. When I was still in pain he said that I'd had the maximum anesthetic he could give and that I'd have to come back in a couple of weeks when the abscess under the tooth had gone away. I'm just wondering if that is true or he was just giving me an excuse to get rid of me, being a national health patient, he just didn't want to waste extra anesthetic on me. Anyone have any thoughts? from past experience he knows that I usually need double the normal dose in order to fully numb me and it always wears off in half the expected time. Although, from his body language, I get the feeling that he thinks I'm just making it up and that the pain is "all in my head"..

Just wondering after my experience with an aborted extraction today if there is a maximum level of local anesthetic that can be injected by a dentist. Basically my dentist gave me a couple of injections and when I was still in pain, made me wait half an hour in reception while he saw someone else, brought me back in, gave me another injection, this time, according to him, in the bone, and after a minute or two had another go at pulling out the tooth. When I was still in pain he said that I'd had the maximum anesthetic he could give and that I'd have to come back in a couple of weeks when the abscess under the tooth had gone away.

The maximum number of injections you can have is actually quite a lot (although it depends on things like what drugs they are using and your bodyweight) - I once had a dentist tell me exactly the same and it later turned out to be a lie.

FWIW the part about waiting a couple of weeks for the abscess to clear up may well be true, clearing it out with antibiotics will let the nerve calm down which should make it easier to numb.

Again, please consider trying another dentist if you're in a position to do so! This one has an attitude problem, your pain is real and it's his job to do something about it.

Maximum amount is dependent upon some of the following conditions:
1. Age of patient
2. Size of patient by weight
3. Medical conditions
4. Other medications
5. Sedated versus non-sedated patient
6. Actual anesthetic used
7. General comfort level of doctor
As to your question at some point it doesn't matter if you place more or not as that spot has been flooded with anesthesia but if no mitigating factors on a normal size adult male about 10 dental tubes.

Back