• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is there a painless method for teeth cleaning?

E

Erin12110

Every six months when I go for my routine teeth cleaning, its always a painful experience. The hygienist is so rough, but she insists its because she wants to give me a thorough cleaning. I hate going there, even though I have to. I understand the plaque builds up fast, but I never thought it would hurt so bad going there. Is there dentists that have a painless method for teeth cleaning? Preferably no or limited use of the metal scaler. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Edited to add additional details:

I've told her at my last visit how painful it is. But she blames it on the buildup. I get a cleaning every six months, and I use a Sonicare toothbrush for a better cleaning. Its a shame because the dentist is so gentle and slow, but the hygienist is making me want to switch to another place.

YES. In short several moderators on this forum (past and present) have personal experience of 'painful dental hygiene' and 'painless dental hygiene' and I am one of them.

Possible causes of painful dental hygiene are:
1. rough hygienist
2. gum sensitivity - in which case gels will help such as Oraquix
3. tooth/ dentine sensitivity - in which case being numbed up will eliminate all the pain.

The most likely cause is Number 1 though, I still do regular 6m cleans with no anaesthetic or gels but my hygienist is gentle, unrushed and thorough. The most you should expect to feel with the 'scraper method' is one or two twinges per appt if they accidentally angle it wrongly.

The ultrasonic scaler is the modern method and it may involve zingy sensations sometimes for nanoseconds - some people prefer this. My hygienist does a mixture but does most the old-fashioned way as I prefer it. She is an older lady though. The young hygienists may well claim they can only do ultrasonic.

You can and should go elsewhere if they can't make this comfortable for you. Since she is in denial I suggest 'voting with your feet' or giving your dentist one last chance to make things right is the way forward.

Most dentists do not want their overzealous insensitive hygienists to scare their patients away. Many are unaware though how often it happens. Weird how so many of them seem to think RDH=License to Hurt.

I assure you it does not.

I just want to add another resounding YES!!!

It is absolutely false that being rough is necessary for a good clean. A good hygienist would always be gentle and careful not to cause any avoidable pain. As the others have said, there are different options, and she should be choosing what's best for you. When some pain is potentially 'unavoidable' (perhaps she did have to clean 'harder' in a particular area, or if have particularly sensitive teeth/gums), they should offer a way to numb you - usually gel, but if necessary you could have local anaesthetic.

Her attitude is the major red flag here - she seems to have no regard whatsoever for the fact that you're in pain. It's one thing if she's trying to give you a painless appointment, but failing (although clearly there'd still be issues there, too!), but she seems happy to cause you pain every time you go. In my opinion, that's completely unacceptable.

As a point of reference, my old hygienist was extremely gentle, and very responsive immediately if I felt any pain. She also used gel liberally. She once told me that she'd been 'told off' (jokingly) by her colleagues for getting all her patients accustomed to pain-free appointments! ;D In my experience, I would feel still twinges - mostly due to sensitivity, I think - but nothing slightly like what you're describing. And I knew I could trust her always to be aiming both to do as good a job as possible AND to make the appointment as pleasant for me as possible. You deserve to find someone who'd do the same for you.

Could you ask to see someone else, or is she the only hygienist at your practice? Have you considered finding a different hygienist elsewhere, but still staying with your current dentist?

Back