• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is there any chance at all that my root canal has not failed?

S

ScaredyCat22

Early December I had part 1 of a root canal and was put on 10 days of antibiotics. The tooth was left open to drain. Exactly a week ago I had part 2 completed. At the time of completion I had the same pain I had been having since before part 1 of the root canal, except less severe. Now a week after part 2 has been completed I still have the ache in my jaw and am starting to get occasional sharp twinges of random severe pain that have nothing to do with whether I am chewing or not and I don't eat on that side anyway. They still want me to come back to have a post put in but I can not see the point in doing so if I am going to need to get this tooth pulled out anyway, so I want to know if this pain means definite failure or if there is any chance it will get better.

theres still a good chance it will be successful. fingers crossed

Thank you. At what point should I suspect it isn't going to get better? 2 weeks? a month? I am really tired of being in pain

I have just sent you a pm. Hang on in there sometimes it just takes time. Could you get some pain meds from your dentist or doctor if it is getting you down. :XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug::butterfly:

Thank you Carole
The dentist doesn't seem to like to give pain meds. His answer to everything is take ibuprofen. Even when I tell him I am halfway through my second bottle of 500 tablets and had no relief

Back