• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is there any way to get your money back from a botched procedure?

M

Mistersbff

Former Member
Hello,
i had a cracked molar #30 and was told to get a root canal, then a crown placed. I went to an endodontist and had the root canal, and was assured the crack in my molar didn't go below the gum line so it was a candidate for the root canal and crown. So fast forward 2 weeks, I go to get a crown placed, and the dentist tells me....I can do this crown, but it won't last more a few months....your tooth is cracked below the gum line. You should have just extracted it and had an implant put in. So...I'm out 1400$ for a root canal that never should have been done because it wasn't a viable tooth, and I'm also out 200$ for a temp crown to be placed over the tooth until it could be extracted...which will be 1000$, then an implant is 4500$. I have no back molars anymore as I have lost them all on that bottom right. I was desperate to save that last molar. My question is...the endodontist...(once he removed the original filling in that molar), and saw the crack and how low it went should have said...sorry, there's no point in this root canal as the tooth is fractured too far down. He proceeded instead and it was all for nothing. I want my money back. What can I say or do to get this guy to do the right thing? I already called my credit card and am disputing the charge, but they want a letter from the second dentist ( the one who was going to out the crown on but saw the size of the crack and said there was no point). Will this second dentist stand up for me and write his findings, or will he defend his fellow dentist? Any thoughts? Thank you for reading this.

Hi Misters -
I'm sorry you feel duped; good dentistry is expensive and I know how frustrating it is to throw down good money only to be told later that your tooth can't be saved. But before you accuse one of your providers of malpractice, you might want to consider the following:

1. Ask General Dentist for Photographs showing the crack - specifically, showing the crack going below the gum line if at all possible. Dentists now have very handy and tiny cameras they use to show the insurance companies the decay or injury requiring expensive restorations. These cameras magnify several times over to give you, the patient, an excellent view of the problem tooth. However, the camera won't show a crack below the gum line - it may show a crack that extends into the gum line though. Ask for a picture from your regular dentist who tells you he can't crown it.

2. Remember, Endodontists do Root Canals and General Dentists do Restorations - each of them offered their expertise to try and save your tooth. Without evidence to support your claim that you were duped by the Endo, you're not going to get far. This crack may not have been below the gum line or as extreme as it is now when you had the RCT - It may have cracked further since that visit. Ask the Endo why he/she performed the root canal and why your Dentist is now telling you it's too far damaged to crown -- just politely ask his/her opinion before you get too upset.

It's possible you were duped by the Endo...and it's also possible you're being duped by your General Dentist who sees $$$ signs in doing an implant to replace your tooth. Your General Dentist has nothing to gain if he/she helps you dispute the RTC charge with your credit card - but the Endo may very well provide the bank with evidence that the tooth was intact when he/she performed the root canal. And, in the end, it's also possible no one is trying to fool you and it's just a differing opinion between the General Dentist and the Endo. Just like any other profession, some Dentists/Doctors prefer an aggressive approach to care while others lean towards a much more conservative attitude about treatment. <<This doesn't make one attitude "better" or less competent than the other, it's just a different approach.

I've read similar stories online of people who believe they were lied to/duped or treated when they didn't necessarily *need* treatments. Some of them attempt to file a claim to sue but most of them don't make it far -- it's very difficult to prove malpractice w/o very clear evidence including several dentists to support their claims that they were mistreated.

You may end up with an expensive lesson. However, consider it this way: If your tooth had a shot at surviving RCT and crowning, wouldn't you have preferred to spend the money for the RC and the crown as opposed to opting for extract/bone graft/implant/crown right out of the gate? An extract/bone graft/implant/crown will cost thousands and is much more involved than the RCT and crown process. Did I mention it's VERY expensive??

At the end of the day, I wouldn't have disputed the CC charge - I would have reached out to the Endo to calmly ask why he/she performed the RCT when your Dentist is now telling you the tooth is too cracked to save. He/she may have been willing to give you a partial/full refund w/o you having to dispute the charge. Makes me wonder how well the GD and the Endo communicated prior to and immediately following the RCT? Did the GD originally refer you to Endo for the RCT, or did you refer yourself to Endo? Why would GD refer to Endo if the tooth was so far cracked? Something about this scenario doesn't add up.

If I were you (and I realize you didn't ask, I'm just throwing this out there), I would seek a third opinion from another Endo and a fourth opinion from another General Dentist or Prosthodontist. See what they say before you go having your tooth removed and replaced by a very expensive implant. Also, call the Endo who performed the RCT and see if you can stop by for a conversation about your tooth for followup. Good luck.

You can ask the second dentist for a copy of your records and in them it will state the condition of the tooth. Ask the dentist to write a report for you. Dentists are individual and will not all just club together. They put their reputation and career on the line and are honest people when being asked for an opinion. I think your dentist will give a true and honest opinion as they have done already. They would want to give a reason for not putting a crown on the rct'd tooth.