• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is this a date-rape drug?

J

joai

I've had my teeth worked on numerous times. I moved, had a dental emergency, and had to find a new dentist. I have a high tolerance for pain and have always gotten local anesthesia for dental work. However, the dentist I saw still wanted me to get IV sedation. I told him that I wanted to get local anesthesia and that I didn't want to be sedated. He continued to try to convince me that it was better to get IV sedation. After being pressured to get IV sedation, I agreed to "light" IV sedation. I told him that I have Ulcerative Colitis and have gotten "light" IV sedation many times in the past for colonoscopies and once for a cystoscopy. I said that when I'm "lightly" sedated, I'm always aware of what's going on during the procedure, and I always remember everything afterward. The dentist said that the range of sedation can vary from being "light" to being more sedated. I agreed to "light" sedation. The dentist gave me "deep" sedation. When he did so, he very quickly and roughly gave me the IV med, opened my mouth for the procedure, and then gave me a shot of local anesthesia. I had no idea that I was going to still be given local anesthesia and I couldn't tell him to slow down and be more gentle because I was out after that. I know I wasn't aware of what was going on during the procedure because I never asked for my tooth. I always ask to keep my tooth. I also don't remember anything that happened while I was out. My cheek was sore for days. Almost a week has gone by, and my jaw is still very sore. This is highly unusual for me. I'm not taking painkillers, which is normal. I never take painkillers unless it's absolutely necessary. Pain is the body's way of telling me that something's wrong. It tells me that I should let my mouth rest. It tells me that I should be careful with what I consume so that my mouth can heal faster. I feel like I was given a rape-date drug. I was put in a state in which I was highly suggestible, have almost no recollection of what happened, and woke up being very wobbly and physically harmed. I've been traumatized. I’m still traumatized. I can understand this if I were getting heart surgery. But I wasn't. I was getting dental work. I'm looking for another dentist. It seems that sedation dentistry is becoming the new norm. It's convenient for dentists. They can get the procedure done quickly. They don't have to worry about harming patients who can take painkillers to get rid of the pain while recovering from that harm.

Back