• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is this a decayed tooth and what should I do?

J

JAD

Alright, so I have had a hole in the side of my tooth for some time, it is a molar and the cave-in is on the left side, Hole here ->(_). It is a milk tooth and is wobbly. The tooth doesn't hurt unless I hit it/eat on it and hurts a bit when wobbling. I have no idea how to go about getting this problem solved.

I am booking a dentist appointment ASAP for help, but for now I need some basic help. First of all, should I keep wobbling it? Or if it becomes looser will it hurt more? I am worried it is decayed in there due to blackness if I shine my phone torch on it, I have no idea how deep it goes.

If I need it taken out will it hurt anymore than a normal milk tooth? I am guessing the nerves all get numbed so even if it is bit rotten will it hurt more? I have had 2 wobbly milk teeth taken out before and they did not hurt at all but I am so scared of the dentist :/

Also, is it too late for a filling?

Thanks a lot.

I'm not a dentist but if it is a milk tooth, just keep wobbling away yourself.

It hurts if I wobble it in one direction, but not in the other. Also I am worried that by wobbling it, it might hurt more.

hI
TRY NOT TO WORRY - A MILK TOOTH IS REALLY EASY TO REMOVE.
Depending on your age, it may just fall out itself and that will solve the problem.

Yeah, I am 13. So if it does need to be removed will it I feel any pain in extraction or will it be like any other milk tooth?

Bump.

Also, it has stopped hurting when I wobble it, what happened? Did a nerve ending die? Or maybe I wobbled it enough it came away from the hurting bit (as it still hurts if I put press on it pushing up).

Hello:welcome:
It sounds like everything is doing it's normally thing :)
If it doesn't hurt then it fine to wobble it but if it hurts this is not a problem happening and it won't cause any problems if you do wobble it but you don't want to feel sore:(
You may find it just falls out on its own if it gets really wobbly but if it has to be removed it shouldn't hurt at all,
just let it do it's own thing really and try not to worry about it too much. ;)

Really? Even though it has a hole that looks a bit black? It has started hurting when wobbling again too :/

Would a filling help? And no pain will be experienced if it needs extracting even though it hurts when pressure is applied?

Once I was numb for a big molar extraction I had pressure but it didn't hurt at all :)

Ok, also I can feel the adult tooth just above it, the decayed milk tooth won't affect the adult one in any way will it?

The gum shows (it's a deep hole-cave) and I don't want to get gum disease.

Well it has stopped hurting if I obble it, but just some questions.

1. Can I get gum disease?
2. Will the tooth decay/hole effect the adult tooth which is coming down above it in anyway?
3. Will a filling be sufficient?
4. If not will the extraction hurt in comparison to a non-hurting normal milk tooth extraction?

The extraction shouldn't hurt at all like I said in a post earlier once you are numb you will be fine and it takes a few minutes that's all that's if it needs to come out at all, :)

Well, I went to the dentist today and he said it will come out in a couple of months due to the adult tooth behind it and nothing needs to be done.

There you go now peace of mind at last, least you can stop worrying now and let it do it's own thing:)

Sorry to bring this back, but the hole has now been starting to stink really badly. Like faeces on my tooth, whenever I touch it my fingers stink and sometimes my breath smells a bit because of it. It is really annoying and worrying. Is it normal for it start smelling? It is putting me off wobbling it because my fingers will stink.

Thanks

Back