• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is this a dental abscess?

D

dentalphob123

I've been getting pain in my upper front right tooth, such as pressure/pain when biting, an aching sensation in the jaw bone above, pain in my right nostril and stinging gums. I informed my dentist before that I was having problems with the tooth. She checked the tooth (no xray taken) and said she was happy the tooth was ok, so I have been watching it, keeping my fingers crossed the tooth was just bruised.

This morning I noticed a hard white pimple had appeared above the adjacent tooth. Is this a sign of an infection/a dental abscess? https://postimg.org/image/ah529y6zn/

I am seeing her on Thursday but would like a second opinion as if there is infection, I really would like to save the tooth before it gets worse. My dentists are very reluctant to take xrays.

Thanks!

Have them take an x-ray at your next visit. That's the only way to know for sure. It's hard to say what is going on just from that picture.

Re: Is this a dental abscess? Xray showing external tooth reabsorption

Have them take an x-ray at your next visit. That's the only way to know for sure. It's hard to say what is going on just from that picture.

Hi drm, thanks for your advice. They took an xray and the tooth which has the pimple and said it has external tooth reabsorption starting at the root. Despite not taking any xrays previously of this area, so they had something to compare it to, they were pretty nonchalant that it is nothing to worry about and said it was probably due to orthodontic work, despite none of my other teeth having this.I am concerned as I read it can lead to a loss of the tooth.

I am requesting all information and xrays from my previous dental surgery for comparison as I switched to this surgery after I had orthodontic work.

To be honest I am really at a loss of what to do as I didn't expect this. Can anyone advise me further?

Back