• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is this a draining fistula ?

B

BensonBooga

8 months ago I had incredible toothache, but no swelling. Lasted for 10 days, severity differed, some days I felt like my jaw was being eaten away due to the incredible gnawing, and other times it was just an annoyance. I got antibiotics and on day 3 of taking them the pain went away. I then noticed this very small bump, it is situated cheek side of the gum, right where that tooth is, very close to the crease of the cheek but on the actual gum. I can't see any puss or odour. Been there for months now. Just wondered what it might be ? If it is an infection draining can that tooth still be left for years ? The area doesn't hurt, but if I press it with my finger it is slightly tender. I am seeing a dentist soon, just curious in meantime ?

Photos below are extreme close ups, it is very near the cheek crease so was hard to take a photo of or to tell if it is raised much.

Attachments

• gum.jpg
    gum.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 52
  • gum2.jpg
    gum2.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 50
Given the history, then that is most likely a draining fistula, hard to tell exactly from your photos but it would be logical.

Thanks Gordon. Are fistulas always draining and are they fairly harmless ?

They get bunged up occasionally for no reason anyone can figure out, then some pain starts.

No, they aren't harmless, if left long enough then they won't close up by themselves, even after the source of infection is removed and need closed surgically.

Back