• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is this a failed root canel? beginning to despair!!

C

chrissieb

I have recently had two teeth extracted. Was so proud of the fact that I was able to face my fears and have them done without sedation. However it has not been plain sailing. Before i had the 2nd extraction i developed a painful absess. This hapened on a bank holiday so had to go to NHS emergency dentist. Took antibiotics a week before and then had a pain free extraction. The tooth had a cyst on the tip. 2 days after the extraction, i was still in a lot of pain and woke up with my cheek once again swollen and in even more pain. My whole jaw ached, felt nauseated and noticed a swelling on my gum. Made another emergency appointment. Xray revealed infection in the socket and another absess. More antibiotics. Went to the dentist on Monday, still in pain, and crying. My dentist explained that the absess was on the tooth in front of the extraction and for me to feel better, i needed a root canal. I felt like running out of the dentist at this point, but i let her go ahead with the treatment. It didnt hurt, just feels like having a filling really. Anyway, it was great to be numb and out of pain. Have to go back next tues for the 2nd part of the treatment. Im concerned that i still have pain from the area. Granted not as bad as before, but uncomfortable, slight stinging and my glands are up and it feels tender to touch the jaw area. Im just wondering if this root canal has failed and there is still infection there. Can i be developing another absess. So fed up with it and feeling quite depressed. Sorry to rant on...Im now dreading my next appointment on tues and worried i may spend yet another bank holiday in pain...:confused:

Hi chrissieb,

Not sure how much advice I can offer, but I just wanted to say I can relate to the depression. Honestly, I almost feel suicidal over my stupid tooth problem. I keep trying to tell myself to be thankful it's only a tooth, that I can have much worse things to deal with, but I still feel myself sinking into a depression unlike anything I've felt before - at least not in really long time. I don't really understand why a tooth can have such a huge impact on your life. Well I guess being in pain all the time will do that. So I just wanted to let you know I can relate to your feelings.

Now for the root canal - I had one on April 15 and I was shocked at how much pain I was in afterwards. But the good news is that the endo told me it was normal, that generally speaking most people feel some pain for about a week, but it could last for just a day or up to two weeks. Mine lasted about 3 days and Advil helped a lot.

So hopefully it's just the post-root canal pain that you are feeling. I had a weird sensation all around the roof of my mouth, and a feeling of bruising and overall soreness, plus a toothache type pain. If this is what you are feeling, hopefully it will go away soon.

I feel your pain - literally and figuratively. Hang in there, if nothing else, at least there are lots of us going through this misery together. :(

thanks for your reply leela. Its comforting to know that other people feel the same and i'm not just over reacting. Being phobic about having dental treatment is emotionally draining anyway. Having finally plucked up the courage to have treatment, its very disappointmenting when you find yourself still feeling unwell and in pain..Hopefully it will settle down soon. :)

Back