• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is this an abscess?

M

MumOfBoys1985

I am really panicking. My 7 year old has said this morning that his gum is sore. He has autism and gets very anxious. He hasnt mentioned sore gums or toothache at all until we were about to leave for school this morning. I brush his teeth twice a day with an electric toothbrush, he doesnt eat too many sugary things each day - because of his autism he is very rigid in what he eats and when. He hasnt complained of pain or discomfort when biting, no facial swelling, hasnt complained of pain when having teeth brushed, not being woken at night with pain etc. No sensitivity to hot or cold - he has an ice lolly every night after his dinner (as part of his routine) and hasnt complained of pain or discomfort. However I have had a look at his gum where he has the sore bit and It looks sore. He did have a little gingerbread man yesterday which was very hard to bite and I wonder if he's scratched the gum perhaps. However, I am absolutely panicking its an abscess. Do I need to get him an emergency appointment at the dentist?

The picture isn't great quality, when he comes home from school I can get another if need be. Im just absolutely terrified.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20210125_091134.jpg
    20210125_091134.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 38
Looks more like a small ulcer to me. Blame the gingerbread man :)

Looks more like a small ulcer to me. Blame the gingerbread man :)
Does that mean I will have to eat them all myself? Its for the good of the children after all! ?

Thanks so much Gordon. Its so difficult to know with him because although he is 7 and he's a clever boy, he struggles with pain - so a small pain feels terrible to him, if he's anxious or worried it feels like a pain in his tummy etc so it can be really hard to judge. I did think an abscess would be hugely painful so I'm sure we would know if he had a severe pain. I am very over protective so I worry so much about missing something.

I'd hate for you to put yourself through that, send some my way :)

Special needs patients in general can react to pain in unusual ways, it can be very difficult to know what's going on and I certainly don't think you're being over protective or over worrying.

I'd hate for you to put yourself through that, send some my way :)

Special needs patients in general can react to pain in unusual ways, it can be very difficult to know what's going on and I certainly don't think you're being over protective or over worrying.
Thank you ever so much Gordon, as always. Yesterday his gum was a little sore in the morning but not too bad but through the day I think he had irritated it a bit whilst eating. However, this morning its much better thankfully and he isn't saying its sore now which is good.

Will send you some gingerbread men, fortunately they're not home made ones as I wouldnt want to subject any poor soul to my baking ?

Don't, I really don't need the extra calories thanks to lockdown, thanks for the thought though!

Back