• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is this extraction safe? Appointment in < 12 hours.

D

Deleted member 21445

Former Member
Hello everyone,

This is my first post but I am a long-time lurker (as many others).

Thanks to you guys I've decided to go visit a dentist after 20 years and it felt very good, at least psychologically.

First visit: 8/23/16 - Discussed my fears and had a general check-up & X-Rays.

#2: 8/25/16 - Cleaning. Removed tartar, plaque, etc. Very little pain.

#3: in < 12 hours - Extraction of an infected/abscessed tooth (very decayed, only a portion of it remaining).

Questions:

A. Is the extraction safe? Considering there's an abscess / infection present and the dentist only prescribed Augmentin 875mg for this morning (so 1 dose before extraction) and suggested we continue this for 5 days after it.

B. Is it true that it will hurt a lot (during the process) and there will be swelling (after) due to that? Note that she will be using local anesthetic.

Thanks a lot everyone, I really appreciate it!

Roberht :)

Hi -

Probably too late seeing this, but just in case!

To answer your questions:

A: Yes, it's safe! Dentists remove infected teeth all the time, it's a procedure that is well understood and they know what they are doing. Your dentist will have reasons for choosing the dose and timing of the antibiotics as they did.

B: No, it shouldn't hurt at all. That is what the local anaesthetic is for, and once it has taken effect the area will be totally numb and should not feel any pain at all. In the unlikely event that you do feel anything, let the dentist know and they can give you more anaesthetic. You will feel a bit of pressure, but that's it.

Couldn't tell you about swelling, that's one to ask your dentist.

Hope I got to this in time and it was some help!

Tink

I assume that you have already had the procedure. On a side note, before I respond, it is IMMENSELY helpful to others to come back and update the actual experience. Hope all went well.

As Tink said, it is indeed safe except in a very few specific cases (mostly involving heart defects and/or previous procedures) It is true that surgeons and dentists would rather no infection be present and try to get it under control as much as possible, but an extraction with an abscess is much less worrisome than a tooth left in with a raging infection.

In fact, the worst abscess I ever had which caused me to be unable to open my jaw hardly at all was removed while there was still a lot of infection in. This tends to happen most often with lower jaw teeth as the bone is much denser. The dentist had to use some sort of ratcheting tool to basically pry my mouth open to get to it. With all the pain I had been through, as bad as that process sounds, it really wasn't and it was IMMEDIATE relief. Swelling still remained, but pain was instantly gone because of the pressure relief. Turned down a prescription for pain killers and my dentists thought I was crazy, but the pain had been that bad, I could handle the little bit of soreness that might remain afterward.

Interested in hearing how it went for you.

Mike

Had an actively infected tooth out last month. All went well, soon as the tooth was gone the infection and pain was gone. The extraction was quick and totally painless.

Update: Extraction done today (9/1), a few minutes ago (a few days work delay).

Everything worked out well apparently. A couple of shots of anesthetic (didn't hurt but a tiny pinch) and then the actual extraction (didn't feel pain, just a sensation that someone was working there).

The whole operation took 15 minutes max (10 mins - anesthetic, 5 mins - extraction).Now I'm holding something with Iodine in my mouth for the next 2 hours.

She told me my bone was pretty f* up due to the infection that spread pretty far and that my jaw needed to regenerate (not sure how much it will take, or if it will fully?)

Well, that's pretty much it. Let's see how it evolves in terms of pain and everything else involved.

Thanks for reading, hope it helps someone.

TL:)R:

I'm fine post-extraction. No pain during, no pain after (for now).

It's great to confront your fears head-on, I feel GREAT psychologically. If you're having second thoughts, that's a reason in itself to go now and see for yourself that you CAN do it. Remember, I haven't been to a dentist in 2 decades :)If I can do it, can't you?

Probably too late seeing this, but just in case!

To answer your questions:

A: Yes, it's safe! Dentists remove infected teeth all the time, it's a procedure that is well understood and they know what they are doing. Your dentist will have reasons for choosing the dose and timing of the antibiotics as they did.

B: No, it shouldn't hurt at all. That is what the local anaesthetic is for, and once it has taken effect the area will be totally numb and should not feel any pain at all. In the unlikely event that you do feel anything, let the dentist know and they can give you more anaesthetic. You will feel a bit of pressure, but that's it.

Couldn't tell you about swelling, that's one to ask your dentist.

Hope I got to this in time and it was some help!

Tink
PS: Thank you very much Tink, your reply helped me actually pull that trigger practically fearless :)

:jump: Well done!

So glad to hear it worked out well for you :)

Update: Extraction done today (9/1), a few minutes ago (a few days work delay).

Everything worked out well apparently. A couple of shots of anesthetic (didn't hurt but a tiny pinch) and then the actual extraction (didn't feel pain, just a sensation that someone was working there).

The whole operation took 15 minutes max (10 mins - anesthetic, 5 mins - extraction).Now I'm holding something with Iodine in my mouth for the next 2 hours.

She told me my bone was pretty f* up due to the infection that spread pretty far and that my jaw needed to regenerate (not sure how much it will take, or if it will fully?)

Well, that's pretty much it. Let's see how it evolves in terms of pain and everything else involved.

Thanks for reading, hope it helps someone.

TL;DR:

I'm fine post-extraction. No pain during, no pain after (for now).

It's great to confront your fears head-on, I feel GREAT psychologically. If you're having second thoughts, that's a reason in itself to go now and see for yourself that you CAN do it. Remember, I haven't been to a dentist in 2 decades :) If I can do it, can't you?

PS: Thank you very much Tink, your reply helped me actually pull that trigger practically fearless :)

Roberht

Yay! :jump: Great news, good to hear it went well and all is behind you now. Huge respect for getting it out while being conscious!
As for the healing. It is amazing how bone and gum actually regenerates. For me they said about 6 weeks till they can really examine how much it has regenerated and when it will be ready to get implants or bridges.
In order to help your body fuel up on vitamins and healthy stuff. Calcium-Magnesium mixture helps with the bones, vitamin K2 helps your body to get the calcium to where it is really needed. Zinc helps with faster absorption. You would also need vitamin A, E ,C and manganese. These all you can find naturally in s lot of veggies and fruits. You will also need probiotics after the antibiotics if you take some. Because antibiotics kill off your stomach and you can get yeast infection after taking antibiotics.

Back