• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is this infection after tooth extraction dangerous ? Please help :(

Milla85

Milla85

Good evening,

16 days ago, I had a difficult surgery of an 80% impacted premolar that was trying to grow on the palate side of the gym, stuck to the teeth close by. I was at the hospital and the surgeon needed 2 hours for the extraction. He detached the gum from the teeth close to one in question and partially detached the gum from my
Palate. I went there 2 days ago, and I told him I have pain in parts of my gums, like infected. He removed the dissolvable stitches (that didn’t actually dissolved), some blood came out and stoped. He said I should stop the antibiotics and go home. Now since 2 days my gums are still swollen (not extremely bit a little and the color is still dark red/purple), and I still have pain (actually more now after removing the stitches). It feels like a typical gum infection like the ones I had before in my life for other reasons (I take real care of my teeth). When I swallow , it feels like the pressure of my tongue pull the gum/palate down like suction, it hurts a little and it’s weird! I am scared, because 16 days later I think I should not feel like this I guess . And, it can’t possibly be normal that my gums are infected and In pain, and he tells me to go home with no medication, not even the antibiotics! I am still eating with a seringue to always keep everything clean, and I still do the chlorhexidine mouth wash twice a day. I am scared this infection will grow. Can it go away alone? I don’t understand why they feel infected, I did all I could for this not to happen. Am I the exception? Is it there a medication for this ? What should I do? There is also some missing gum between the 2 theeth, I am scared the gum will remain damaged like this. But mainly help me about the gum infection. Please! ?

sorry for my bad English, my first language is actually french

thank you

Attachments

• 94F87E31-4E7B-4401-AC62-D7D2B76BFB05.jpeg
    94F87E31-4E7B-4401-AC62-D7D2B76BFB05.jpeg
    266.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 58D988C8-25FE-4A2B-B4D4-4694EF5B4B11.jpeg
    58D988C8-25FE-4A2B-B4D4-4694EF5B4B11.jpeg
    235.1 KB · Views: 41
I also realize that part of
My gum is missing. Did he damaged my tooth forever ? Will I need a transplant ? ?

Attachments

• D2724AEA-CCD2-40BD-A8A2-4A4A8F653F35.jpeg
    D2724AEA-CCD2-40BD-A8A2-4A4A8F653F35.jpeg
    260.9 KB · Views: 25
I’m not a dentist but just wanted to offer support. I’m sure it’s all you can think about. I’m so sorry you’re going through this. I have had extractions and they do look pretty funky while healing but 16 days does seem quite long. id say if the pain or swelling gets any worse give a call back. Wish I knew more. Keep us posted. Best of luck

Thanks so much for caring. I live far from my family and spend most of the time alone. I also worry about this alone, because I don’t like disturbing people with my problems. It’s nice to read a kind word. I hope a dentist might come by and let me know if in bad sheets . ?

If your dentist asked you to stop the antibiotics, he seems to think you don’t have an infection. It sounds to me that you don’t trust your dentist. It might be time to find a new dentist and get a second opinion, if you still wish to get piece of mind.

Thanks for your answer. I though were is pain (specially when is red and swollen), there is infection. But I don’t know what Is the best way to proceed in this cases , and that’s why I hope a dentist see this post and gives me a second opinion.
I wish you a nice evening :)

Bonjour Milla, comment ca va? (sorry can't do the accents with this English keyboard).

Anyway, your English is much better than my French.

Don't worry too much about this, the area is healing OK, you don't have an infection, the redness and pain is just the tissues trying to heal up after the surgery. The gum will eventually fill back in as the bone re-grows into the area. You've got a pretty substantial hole there, it'll take some time to heal.

Alors, ce n'est pas un grand problème, tout va bien aller (it's been a long time since I spoke any French, hope Mrs Ramage isn't reading this!)

Merci merci Dr.!
c'est très gentil de votre part de m'avoir répondu ?

I will continue to be careful and wait as advised. Thank you so much for your answer!?

De rien. C'était mon plaisir de vous aider un peut.

Hello again Dr. ,

I am really sorry to bother you again, but today some parts of the gums are more swollen and painful than yesterday. I thought it should go slowly down and not back up. What do you think?

sorry, I will not keep bothering you everyday with this, is just because is the first time since surgery that a place that was good became bad again.

merci ?

It will probably come and go a little bit as the healing process continues. As long as there is no bad taste coming from the socket, it will be OK.
You're welcome to ask questions here whenever you want, that's the whole point of this site.

Thank you very very much! I wish you a wonderful day ☺️

Well we’ll Dr. It’s me again after a few weeks ?

1 month and 3 days since my difficult tooth extraction and I am still experiencing pain?. The gum of the adjacent tooth (where the extracted tooth was close) is still a bit swollen and still feels a bit painful so that I can’t swallow food of touch the gum with the tongue.
Some days it feels better, others a little worse (as if the pain was behind the gums, and the gums looks red on the inside, and I'm not sure what to do next (and the surgeon is holidays).
The entire area feels tender (including all of the teeth on the left side), the gums feel a little electrical / painful inside, and the gum of the remaining premolar still has some swelling like a little ball and it hurts, so my Speech and eating are impaired. I am worried about a bone infection or an excessive immune response with scar tissue or others things me as person who knows nothing about teeth can’t guess to fear about it ? etc...
1 month, I don't think I should be in pain. what do you think Dr?
Sorry for bothering again ?

Attachments

• E4D31DD9-8791-4073-A252-93F08E7FA00A.jpeg
    E4D31DD9-8791-4073-A252-93F08E7FA00A.jpeg
    261.5 KB · Views: 26
  • AF313578-5AE0-4FF2-9C59-3C2C21EDF05C.jpeg
    AF313578-5AE0-4FF2-9C59-3C2C21EDF05C.jpeg
    294.3 KB · Views: 23
Again, no bother, that's why I'm on here.

It's still healing ma chérie. (excuse the familiarity)
The teeth on either side will be a bit tender due to the bone remodelling around the extraction site and there will be some sensitivity to cold and sweet due to some of their root surface being exposed. If you were my patient I'd probably want another x-ray of the area just to reassure us both that it's healing well, but it looks not too bad at all. No sign of any infection.

Again, no bother, that's why I'm on here.

It's still healing ma chérie. (excuse the familiarity)
The teeth on either side will be a bit tender due to the bone remodelling around the extraction site and there will be some sensitivity to cold and sweet due to some of their root surface being exposed. If you were my patient I'd probably want another x-ray of the area just to reassure us both that it's healing well, but it looks not too bad at all. No sign of any infection.
Hahah pas grave ☺️

The Dr. Had an x-Ray done but he said he couldn’t see anything because the extraction site is behind the remaining tooth. He said it was too early to make a CT scan and that I should wait (this was 2 weeks ago). Since then it gets a little better than starts to swelling again, up and down like something is holding the healing back. And he is on holidays now so my next appointment is in 2 weeks. I totally missed telling 2 key things:
- he left 2mm root to protect something on my face (don’t know what)
- I have collagen autoimmune disorder similar to lupus (maybe this is not letting heal, but i never have any problems healing wounds)
The spot that hurts the most is on the side of the hole extraction (but I think behind the gum might be a hole there too. The pain is like dull + the gums feel heavy and like the typical gum infection. Am I stuck on healing phase 1? ?
My face started hurting again, the place close to the mouth and nose , and if I lower
My head to give food to my cat, the gum and face pulses . I have the feeling that he digged the hell out of my face!
I am scared it will be like this for always, or worse. ?
Désolé for another 3 meters text, I just feel so afraid now, that time is passing but the healing seems to get better than back to worse over a month. Is should steadily get better like everybody else

Encore, merci ?

Attachments

• 420B9574-6B69-4381-8862-A7B1716427DA.jpeg
    420B9574-6B69-4381-8862-A7B1716427DA.jpeg
    311.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Alors, plus information est toujours utile (I need to stop mangling your language sorry!)

1) Probably left the tip in place to save going into your sinus. It's not the end of the world if it happens but it's a complication better avoided.
2) I wouldn't be surprised if that's messing up the healing a bit, sorry. (technical reason: you're needing a lot of secondary intention healing which involves more connective tissue than healing by primary intention which is more epithelium mediated).
3) Yeah, he made a big hole in your palate getting that tooth out.
4) That'll be the evil influence of the cat as you get closer to it :) Wouldn't happen with a dog :) Actually, it's probably because your sinus is a bit inflamed. Remember the top of the root is very close to it.
5) I'd really want another x-ray, it should be possible to angle it to give a clearer view.

Don't be désolé, I am here to answer questions, if there were no questions then Let's Connect would find me something else to do :) which might be harder work.

Alors, plus information est toujours utile (I need to stop mangling your language sorry!)

1) Probably left the tip in place to save going into your sinus. It's not the end of the world if it happens but it's a complication better avoided.
2) I wouldn't be surprised if that's messing up the healing a bit, sorry. (technical reason: you're needing a lot of secondary intention healing which involves more connective tissue than healing by primary intention which is more epithelium mediated).
3) Yeah, he made a big hole in your palate getting that tooth out.
4) That'll be the evil influence of the cat as you get closer to it :) Wouldn't happen with a dog :) Actually, it's probably because your sinus is a bit inflamed. Remember the top of the root is very close to it.
5) I'd really want another x-ray, it should be possible to angle it to give a clearer view.

Don't be désolé, I am here to answer questions, if there were no questions then Let's Connect would find me something else to do :) which might be harder work.
Well is better to use your french like this you will not forget it :)
1- And my dreams is to have a dog, but the apartments in Paris don’t have enough space to give a dog a happy life where can feel free to run.
2- I suspected my disorder could be playing a role, but I didn’t want to admit because of makes me feel hopeless about this situation and about my future having to deal with everything this disorder will put me through.
3- I lost 7kg since the surgery (now I’m 46kg), and today I received a critic from someone in my household saying I am looking like someone from the holocaust, it destroyed me, and I also hated how can someone be so evil and at the same time so disrespectful with what people been through during the war.
4- I will ask him for a detailed x-ray on my next appointment
5- From what I told you, what you thing is my prognosis with this extraction situation? (you can be honest)
If thinks are looking black for me, are there new experimental procedures that might help me to heal?

I feel so deeply sad with all of this, but I don’t allow myself to cry because it hurts my face ?

Well thanks for all your kindness towards me, and your empathy with my situation.

Je te souhaite une très belle journée ?

Very true, dogs in cities don't have a great life. To make up for it, here's a photo of my dog enjoying the little beach down past my house. It's doggy heaven here. IMG_4472.jpeg

The future is not hopeless, your disorder will delay things but it won't prevent things from getting sorted out in time.

Sounds like that someone is suffering from what I like to call "NAFS" disorder. (Needs A Firm Skelp) Since you're kindly teaching me French, let me return the favour by teaching you some Scottish words. A skelp is a slap (usually across le cul).
It may be helpful to refer to the miscreant as a "Skelpit wee nyaff" in the future, which is both an insult to them and helpfully unlikely that they'll realise that they've been insulted.

On a more serious note, from your photos you don't look like you have 7kg to spare, so it might be worth trying to get some extra nutrition, maybe some build up drinks from a pharmacy if eating is too uncomfortable?

Prognosis is fine, assuming all looks OK on the next x-ray. Worst case scenario is that somebody will need to go back in, remove that last tip of root (just in case), deal with any sinus involvement (usually just a few sutures) resulting in removing the root tip and then close things back up again. However, I really don't think that's likely.

Latha brèagha a bhith agad, ma petite chou :)

Very true, dogs in cities don't have a great life. To make up for it, here's a photo of my dog enjoying the little beach down past my house. It's doggy heaven here. View attachment 4365

The future is not hopeless, your disorder will delay things but it won't prevent things from getting sorted out in time.

Sounds like that someone is suffering from what I like to call "NAFS" disorder. (Needs A Firm Skelp) Since you're kindly teaching me French, let me return the favour by teaching you some Scottish words. A skelp is a slap (usually across le cul).
It may be helpful to refer to the miscreant as a "Skelpit wee nyaff" in the future, which is both an insult to them and helpfully unlikely that they'll realise that they've been insulted.

On a more serious note, from your photos you don't look like you have 7kg to spare, so it might be worth trying to get some extra nutrition, maybe some build up drinks from a pharmacy if eating is too uncomfortable?

Prognosis is fine, assuming all looks OK on the next x-ray. Worst case scenario is that somebody will need to go back in, remove that last tip of root (just in case), deal with any sinus involvement (usually just a few sutures) resulting in removing the root tip and then close things back up again. However, I really don't think that's likely.

Latha brèagha a bhith agad, ma petite chou :)
Feasgar math Gordon ?

I must say that reading your last message was for me a real mix of feelings... I cried seeing your dog swimming, because it remind me of everything I love in one picture. Scotland, dogs, quiet places, nature, no people, and peace. None of this I have at the moment, but somehow it made happy to see these still exists somewhere not to far from here...
Are you Scottish? I though this as an US forum (not that other nations are excluded) ?
When I was a child i saw a movie opening on the tv showing a man walking on on Scottish mountain and the sound of bagpipes on the background, that moment changed my life haha. I kept asking my mom about that sound , but she didn’t really care about my curiosity, there it started my fascination with Scotland and Ireland (yes, I know I’m not supposed to speak of two country as if there were one ) ? next time, I will use the phrase you told me (if I can pronounce it right) ?

I will ask about food on the pharmacy. I was mixing bone broth powder (collagen amino acids), to my veggie purée which I eat with a syringe to help speed up healing, but I was afraid my body might get angry about the extra collagen and make the healing slow, so I stoped.

os crazy that the exposed part of the hole seems to be healing (even though is a bit red), but the hidden part causes so much problems. Maybe that’s where the root is kept. I am so scared if I have to have my palate gum detached again, and worse , if my sinus is open and they have to remove meat from the palate to close the hole. Months of terrible pain to regrow, like a nightmare. Also he said I could lose the tooth next to it, if he had forced more to remove the root. So i will lose another tooth too, is the root will be removed? ?

Here is a picture from the before (I can’t ask him for the after surgery x-ray because he on holidays. As you can see my teeth sucks, but if you focus on the premolar, he was in front of the premolar that remained. The new x-ray, he said he can’t see anything because the remaining premolar is in front. Seriously? ? I also have a scan from before the surgery with the detailed position of the tooth, but is in small files, I don’t have the possibility to open, or understand it if I could open ?

Next consultation I will ask for a CT if he can’t see with an x-ray.

To be honest, I just wish I was the dog on the picture, swimming with a beautiful view, no trouble , loads of love and care. ?

Well, I hope you are enjoying your Halloween holidays.

Tapadh leibh! ☺️

Attachments

• 8D5E20E3-FFBC-4168-9324-0B18D0F83450.jpeg
    8D5E20E3-FFBC-4168-9324-0B18D0F83450.jpeg
    430.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Snog cluinntinn bhuat :)

I'm sorry my photo made you cry.
Yes, I'm Scottish, I live in the western Highlands, just north of Glen Coe, that view is looking across Loch Linnhe towards Appin.

This is most emphatically not a US forum, but we're a very cosmopolitan lot here.

Righto, back to your mouth.
1) The stuff you're looking for from the pharmacy is something like "Build Up" a nice mix of proteins and vitamins to give you a little bit of a calorie boost.

2) It's not crazy the way it's healing up. It's normal... apologies if this is too technical (or too simple for that matter).

Tissues heal in 2 ways, by primary intention and by secondary intention. In primary intention, the outer layer of cells in the body (epithelium) grow fast and converge across the defect on a bed of the lower layer of cells, (connective tissue). This happens when for example you have a clean slice with a knife blade or when the 2 parts of the wound are drawn together with stitches.

In a dental extraction, normally the 2 halves of the wound can't really be brought together, so you have healing by secondary intention. What happens there is that connective tissue cells start to reproduce and fill up the defect, then the epithelial cells come across to finish the job. The connective tissue covers itself with a layer called granulation tissue which keeps sh*t out amongst other things. The granulation tissue starts to bring in bone cells and stuff to rebuild the base of the hole, but that takes a while. Meanwhile the fast growing epithelia has covered the defect.

If you add in the complication in your case of there being a slight issue with connective tissue, then the hole is going to take longer to fill in, but the epithelium will proceed as usual.

3) IF they had to go back in and get that root tip, then you wouldn't remove "meat" from the palate to close the hole, you'd move a layer of the skin across like a blanket and stitch it down round the edges, personally I would put in some bone graft material to help close the defect up faster given your medical history. This is not nearly as bad as it sounds and would heal by primary intention (see above) which means your medical issues won't be a factor. But that's only IF they had to go back in and IF the root tip was so close to the sinus that it was a factor. On your x-ray it doesn't look like it. I very much doubt if you'd lose another tooth either, he's probably just giving you worst case options.

Hope this helps and no tears this time!

Back