• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Issue with a particular tooth

I

InquisitiveBadger

Hi everyone,

This forum appears to be a great resource for information and reassurance to nervous dental patients! I hope you don't mind but I have a few questions. I'll try and keep it brief.

I am 35. Until last week, I had not been to the dentist for several years.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed that a filling in my upper left 1st molar had broken. This did not cause anything more than very occasional mild ache/pain.

I decided that I should see a dentist and booked an appointment (as a new patient) a few days later. The dentist checked me over and looked at the offending tooth and stated that the filling needed to be re-done. This was booked, and took place a week later (last Thursday).

As she was drilling out the old filling and decay, she stopped, and became concerned that she had 'reached the nerve' and took some x-rays, before talking to me about what's required next, i.e. a root canal and crown, or extraction and implant.

At this point, my mood dropped.

She popped a temporary filling in, and basically told me that I now have to make a choice as to what I would prefer, and that she was going to refer my xrays to the Endodontist who will advise on how successful RCT will be (as far as I can tell, a fair old chunk of the tooth is gone). She said the temp filling will most likely be fine for a little while but she couldn't say for sure. I was sent on my way with some antibiotics should I experience any pain or swelling.

Since then, no real pain, but plenty of anxiety. I don't really know what to do. I can't really afford RCT and a crown, but if there was a high chance of it being successful and lasting years then I would probably be able to sort something out.

1. At this point, is the temporary filling covering the opening up down to the pulp/nerve only a matter of time before things take a turn for the worse?

2. I read of peoples' temporary fillings lasting for years with no issues - is this likely? I am trying to chew on it as little as possible, although there is no pain if I do, and no real sensitivity to hot or cold drinks.

3. I have recently bought myself a new electric toothbrush (old one was a bit worn out) and am now rigorously brushing twice a day (where previously I always did at bedtime but only sometimes in the morning). I have a couple of other fillings in molars, is it too late for a change in regime (better brushing, no sugary snacks outside of mealtimes) to prevent the rest of my teeth from going south?

Thanks very much for any advice!

@InquisitiveBadger I'm not a dentist but wanted to share my personal experience - I had a root canal probably about 2009/2010 (no crown) and all is well still with that tooth after 12 years. My personal opinion is its worth a try at keeping the tooth unless the dentist tells you success rate is likely to be low.

Iv only had a couple of temp fillings - one I left because they said I needed root canal and I didn't do anything about it and eventually lost the tooth (something I deeply regret now, hindsight is wonderful) and the other was put in following stage 1 root canal. Neither lasted particularly long as the stuff they used seemed to be very crumbly and soon came out.

In terms of helping your teeth - brush twice a day, use tepe brushes once a day (I use them at night), limit sugary drinks and snacks to meal times, reduce fizzy drinks, quit smoking if you do smoke. It's never too late to make good changes.

@MumOfBoys1985 thanks for sharing your experiences. Very insightful.

Is a root canal mandatory by the time the nerve/pulp has been reached? Or is it sometimes possible to just fill it and see how things go?

@MumOfBoys1985 thanks for sharing your experiences. Very insightful.

Is a root canal mandatory by the time the nerve/pulp has been reached? Or is it sometimes possible to just fill it and see how things go?

Usually it is, but never say never.

As for your other questions:
1) Maybe, it's hard to be certain and it depends on the timeframe you're talking about
2) Depends what the material is
3) It's almost never too late

@Gordon

Thanks very much for your input. Much appreciated!

Timeframe wise I'm thinking weeks rather than months (or more than a couple of months anyway!) or years. I think I'm building myself up for the root canal (if it's doable) but I am going on holiday in a couple of weeks and would rather not have anything done until afterwards. But I also hope things don't go horribly wrong while I'm out of the country.

Is there a way to tell what the material is? It's white, if that makes any difference ? I'm trying not to chew on it - nothing other than soft stuff anyway.

I am just dreading the actual procedure (either RCT or extraction) and the subsequent recovery period :( but I know it's for my own good.

Weeks will probably be fine. Hard to be more definitive without seeing what's going on.
I'd leave it till after your hols too, again without seeing the problem that's my best guess.
Not really no, too many to choose from :)
RCTs are not too bad (I've had 2) they're pretty boring from the patient's perspective, they are a slow and fiddly business but overall not any worse than a big filling.

Back