• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Issues since a filling in December!

G

Goodonya

Hi everyone, hope you are all well. This is my second post here and I just wanted to get some advice from you.

Before December I hadn’t been to the dentist in almost 4 years due to moving countries/couldn’t afford it/dental fear!
Timeline:
December 23, 2021: filling in top right 2nd molar dislodged due to secondary decay
December 24, 2021: emergency dental visit and got the filling replaced and secondary decay removed
**this dentist DID NOT take any x-rays, only did a initial exam, numbed me up, and went his way with the filling
January 5, 2022: Occlusion felt off, right canines were forcibly hitting each other to the point I was in pain and taking maximum OTC pain meds.
January 11, 2022: Went back to dentist for an adjustment, hoping that my bite was just off. He checked my bite, said nothing was wrong. Diagnosed me with bruxism and told me to get a night guard and to just get used to the malocclusion.
January 20, 2022: Visited another dentist for a second opinion, they basically diagnosed me with a sprain of my upper canine and did a full-clean and polish.

Since then, my upper canine has yet to completely heal. I have used OTC night guard as recommended by the first dentist (didn’t help) and recently had an essix retainer made for my top arch so I have been wearing that nightly for ~3 weeks.

However, my issue is pretty much from my canine to my 1st and 2nd premolars (right side) Those three teeth are the most troublesome teeth as of late and it feels as if it’ll never end. The rest of my mouth feels fine! Recently, for the last week or so, my two upper right premolars feel as if they’re loose, today the one farther back was “clicking” but they won’t move when touched. I feel pressure on them when my tongue touches them and also when I’m speaking or drinking. Today I flossed (my gums haven’t bled whilst flossing for 2 months or so) and the gum between my 1st molar and premolar bled quite easily and a lot without much pressure from the floss… the clicking stopped though! I just want to know if anyone has any advice? I have really stepped up my hygiene game and really want my teeth to last a long time. I’ve constantly thought about my teeth for the last 3 months and have been in constant anxiety as well regarding the health of my teeth. Thanks.

Might have missed it (I'm old and slow) but what do you want to know here?

@Gordon Hi Gordon, sorry I didn’t make it clear :) When I was writing it out, I was getting anxious about stuff.

Anyway, can one sprained PDL translate to 2 other teeth i.e., my right canine is “sprained”, but my 1st and 2nd premolars on the same side are tender too?

Dentist sees nothing wrong, but it’s just so uncomfortable. I haven’t eaten on my right side for 3 months.

No worries as you say down under :)
It's unlikely but they're all in a similar area so might be a chance of some referred pain going on. I'd not expect a sprained PDL to go on for 3 months either though...

@Gordon haha exactly!

Referred pain! That’s what I was thinking too since there seems to be no issue and they’re close together... It’s definitely annoying and I’ve tried babying it heaps!! But again, dentist sees no issues, called it a sprain and moved on. I’ve had it looked at ~5 times in 3 months just to be sure! It has gotten A LOT better for the last 4 weeks Id say, but there just a little bit left of it to heal I think. Dentist says because it’s a canine, it’s used daily, tongue touches it when I speak/swallow/do pretty much anything and that’s why it has taken so long?

Yes, could be. I assume they've already checked the bite on the area and it's OK?

@Gordon Yep, I have had it checked ~3 times! Occlusion is fine according to 2 dentists and an orthodontist! Thanks for your time replying to me Gordon!! Just wanted the reassurance of another dentist (even virtually helps calm the anxiety!)

Canines can take a bit of a battering, it's the area of the jaw where you have the best mechanical advantage when it comes to applying force and the canines guide the teeth as you chew.

Back