• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

IV Sedation and Extraction

M

Madeleineemily

Hi !
I went to the dentist for the first time in 9 years (!) but now I have to have IV sedation for a double molar extraction. This is all very new to me and whilst I’m anxious about the surgery I’m also a little anxious about the sedation and being ‘out of it’. What is it like?
Thanks!

Hi, i have just asked a similar question, i am booked for sedation next week and very worried aswell, wondering what the sedation is like, when is your appointment.

Not till mid Feb! I’ve never even broken a bone or been in hospital so sedation is very new to me ?

Hi, we’ve got a section on IV sedation experiences here:

Haven’t tried it myself so I can’t chip in with a personal experience but as you can see, the reports have been very positive ?

I've had IV sedation for an extraction. You feel extremely relaxed, very fuzzy in a pleasant way. Nothing whatsoever bothers you about the situation. You're able to respond to the dentist and do what they ask. The drugs make the time seem to pass in an instant, and often you don't remember anything of what happened - I certainly don't remember much at all. You'll need someone to take you home as you'll be a bit woozy; I slept all afternoon and woke up feeling fine.

This makes me feel a whole lot better thank you!!
I've had IV sedation for an extraction. You feel extremely relaxed, very fuzzy in a pleasant way. Nothing whatsoever bothers you about the situation. You're able to respond to the dentist and do what they ask. The drugs make the time seem to pass in an instant, and often you don't remember anything of what happened - I certainly don't remember much at all. You'll need someone to take you home as you'll be a bit woozy; I slept all afternoon and woke up feeling fine.

I loved my iv sedation for my wisdom teeth removal. I’d do it again. It was like having the best nap. I “woke up” feeling very relaxed and happy and rested

Back