• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

IV sedation and snoring!

W

wiltshiremummy

Hi!

I am due to have a back molar extracted under IV Sedation on Monday ... and my helpful husband has asked me if I told the dentist (at my initial consultation) that I snore .. a lot, apparently! My children then piped up that if I fall asleep (sitting up) on the sofa, I snore - but apparently I am quiet for a bit and then sort of 'snort'! Bless them all for sharing my blushes!! Of course, now the dentist is shut and I can't advise them in advance of Monday morning's appointment - so now I'm worrying incase they say I can't have the sedation. So, does anyone know if this is a big issue?! Thank you so much!

Hello - apparently I snore too - pretty loudly at times! - and I was just fine. xx

Hi wiltshriemummy,

You need to let your dentist know about this. The symptoms you're describing sound like sleep apnoea. It's really quite important to see your GP and get tested, as sleep apnoea can really impact on your overall health if it's left untreated for too long (the usual treatment for moderate and severe sleep apnoea is a CPAP device which you use during your sleep to keep the airway open).

But I don't think it would prevent you from having IV sedation if you are otherwise in good health, provided your dentist feels comfortable with it.

Do you have his email address?

Please let us know how you get on. Good luck x

Best of luck for today :grouphug: !!

Im reading this thread and THANK you Administrator for your words to towiltshriemummy, it helped ease my fear. I dont have sleep apnea, snore occasionally and in good physical health. Im due for a root planning & scaling while under sedation, after evaluation with the anesthesiologist she told me I have short airway(?) I had recent extractions on 2 seperate visits at a different dental office, I was also under and it all went well.
I plan on going for a sleep study but my dental procedure comes first. Im now afraid to go under..

Has anyone heard of short airways?