• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

IV sedation, fantastic!

L

lincslady2

Hi,
after many years of not seeing a Dentist, I have finally faced my fears and got my teeth sorted out! I developed a quite severe Dental phobia about twelve years ago, after a very traumatic experience. Prior to this, I had always had six monthly check-ups, and although I used to get a bit nervous about any work that needed doing, I still went through with it.

To further complicate matters, I now have mobility problems after three spinal surgeries, making a Dentist's chair a very painful experience. To cut a long story short I eventually found a local Dentist who offers IV sedation, I was in so much pain by that time, with broken teeth and abscesses etc. I couldn't eat anything that needed chewing, hot and cold things were so painful, I knew I had to do something soon. After a few sleepless nights it took a lot of courage and support from my Husband to walk into the Dentist's Surgery that first time, I needn't have been so worried though, Theo the Dentist, couldn't have been more understanding, kind and patient. He showed me lots of photos of his patient's teeth "before and after" treatment, reassuring me that mine weren't quite as bad as they could have been.

He did an extensive examination and worked out what needed doing. The initial work was done over two or three 90 minute appointments, doing one side of my mouth at a time, to minimise discomfort. The IV sedation is great, a very tiny fine needle is used to access a vein in your arm, you can hardly feel a thing, I could feel my eyelids becoming heavy, and the next thing I knew Theo and my Husband were helping me into the car!

As I'm also on very strong pain medication it takes me longer to come round properly after the sedation, I always go to bed for a couple of hours, then I feel fine again. The medication wipes your memory completely, so you don't remember anything of the treatment, but at the same time, you're awake and able to follow instructions from the Dentist. It just feels like you've been completely asleep though! On one occasion I remember drifting off, the next thing I was waking up after a long sleep in my own bed at home! I so wish that I had known about this Dentist years ago. He sees lots of nervous patients, ranging from the slightly worried to completely phobic, and does lots of sedations, one patient even has it for check-ups, as she can't stand the feel of the dental instruments in her mouth. I think the cost of sedation is about £120, worth every penny to me!

I have just posted the details of this practice on the "Find a Dentist" board. If you live near Spalding in Lincolnshire, or can get there, please just make the appointment, I really can't recommend him highly enough!

Well done Lincslady on getting through your treatment. Hope all goes well on your next visit. Keep in touch.

When I had my dental work done under IV sedation 2 years ago, all I could do was sing its praises. I came through it beautifully and recovered quite quickly.
Congrats to you!!!:jump::yay:
Jen

I, too discovered the womders of IV sedation with two oral surgeries this year. Its wonderful stuff.
Congrats to you Lindsey! :cheers::jump::jump::jump:

Back