• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

IV Sedation if on chronic pain meds???

N

nire22

Hi,
I have to have all 4 of my wisdom teeth taken out and they are going to use IV Sedation. My concern is that I have a high tolerance for all kinds of drugs (a natural thing not because of heavy use), but I also have been on narcotic pain meds for chronic pain for awhile now so I'm worried that the IV Sedation won't work. Will they be able to give me enough for it to work regardless of those things as long as I advise them of my problem?

Thanks in advance for the help
Nicki

iv sedation works brilliantly well and i am confident you will know NOTHING form the time the iv is inserted, to when you "wake up" after the procedure! i've had iv sedation twice now and both times knew absolutely nothing about anything which was done during the dental work, and i've had my gums cut open to get rid of a few rotten teeth that were abcessed, front fillings, drilling, a crown and a root canal. and i never felt, saw or heard a thing!
i lived on strong painkillers for years because of rotten teeth that i was too afraid to get sorted. please speak to your oral surgeon and allow them to remove your fears and i wish you the best of luck! stay positive and good luck!! i will look forward to reading your success story as i too need a wisdom tooth pulled out under iv sedation :) xx

Yes it can work but please discuss your important concerns with the dentist before the appointment many dentists are not comfortable treating a patient on chronic narcotics as they don't understand how to change their technique for you.

Back