• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

IV sedation (just do it if available)

B

BA747

Had the last of my major treatments yesterday (RCT, Extraction, bone graft). Even after successful oral sedation prior, to say i was scared senseless would be an understatement. After having successful oral sedation prior, i tried to get a RCT done with local only. failed miserably. i felt pain even after 7 needles when they used that mascara tool to clean it out (This took away my fear of shots though.)
anyways, sat in the chair, dentist talked to me, explained i would not be unconsciuos but would be relaxed it wont matter. Got the IV in, which was the toughest as i hate needles and all i felt was a pinch. After a while, they hooked up the iV and oxygen. I kept on talking to let the doctor/ anaesthegiologist know i was still aware so they didnt start anything. after a few minutes, i felt calm, fear was gone but asked the doctor when this would kick in. It felt like half an hour but it was more like 3 minutes and then...

i woke up to some scraping ( no pain whatsoever, must have been the graft), i asked if the extraction was done, dentist said yes and must have topped me up as i awoke again in the middle of the RCT, i felt a slight pain (that mascara thing again) and got more novicaine, and i must have been given more meds as i woke up while my crown was being made, (they make it right there). The teeth next to the extractions hurt a teeny bit and i was given some pain pills and iv meds and pain went away in 30seconds. Doctor said the fitting would be painless and it was. After numerous fittings and refinishings, the crown was polished, and i was done. Got my pain meds which i took just in case but to be honest, i took them as a preventative step.
A benefit i didnt expect is that i am no longer afraid of shots and with fillings e.t.c, i am fine with local only. My dentist uses gel and gently tugs your lip. You feel absolutely nothing.
If you are putting off dentistry and can get IV sedation, just do it. Over 3 treatment, 2 with oral and 1 with IV, i've had my teeth filled, extracted, deep cleaned and if i hadnt been crazy to wait this long, it would have cost less, but this was money well spent. Only thing left are my regular cleanings. Reading through this board helped me more than i can re-pay so i thought i would post my experiences.

You are so right, IV sedation is worth whatever the price you have to pay. Because I am scared stiff of needles, as well as the dentist etc. I was very, very apprehensive about the IV sedation, although having read so many people's good reports of it. However, unless you experience something for yourself, you don't really know do you. However, Tuesday, for 18 extractions, I had IV sedation. Despite having taken valium I was shaking like I've never shaken before, my whole body, legs and arms, and was surprised the sedationist (who was the most dishy guy out) could find my vein. But he was so good, talking to me, didn't feel anything until I said, oh the rooms going round, and then I woke up. In just under an hour I had had 18 teeth pulled, immediate dentures in and honestly hadn't felt a thing. It's the best thing since sliced bread.

Back