• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

IV Sedation Success

R

rocketman32

A couple of weeks ago, I had my bottom two wisdom teeth removed, which were impacted. Although I felt completely "off" for a week following the procedure (most likely because of all the drugs in such a short amount of time), pain was very minimal, and everything went smoothly.

I came to the clinic, did the consultation, talked about the usual stuff. We talked about anesthesia options and I ultimately decided on IV sedation. I could have went with local/nitrous, but I wanted to not feel and remember anything. Fast forward: I lay down, and the doctor gives me some nitrous to calm me down. Couple minutes later he put the IV in, and told me I would start feeling very sleepy. I was wondering to myself - "how long does this stuff take to kick in?", and that was it - I was completely out. I don't remember fading into relaxation, getting the local anesthetic, or anything from the procedure. I do remember very small moments - opened my eyes once, heard some faded sounds, but that was it. The whole experience was very interesting - although I don't remember it, I can kind of describe it - it was total "nothingness" - no dreams, no sounds, no awareness, just complete blank.

The whole procedure took about an hour, but literally felt like a few seconds. I woke up at one point and realized it was over, and just closed my eyes again. A little later my father came to pick me up - I was surprised that I was able to get up quite easily - was able to walk to the car with ease, however past that point I have no memory. Don't remember the ride home or getting out of the car. Last thing I remember is falling asleep for a couple hours and spending time with the family later that night.

Pain was the worst the first and second day, but the painkillers definitely helped. Bleeding was very minimal, and was able to start eating more solid foods pretty fast. Now I'm just waiting for the gums to close back up, which is pretty annoying with stuff getting stuck back there whenever I'm eating.

Overall everything went great! No recollection of the procedure...didn't feel pain or anything...carrying on perfectly fine now. Definitely recommend IV sedation for those who are anxious about procedures and prefer to not remember them. It really is nothing to worry about :)

Last edited:
So glad you had a good experience! I got my wisdom teeth out two weeks ago with IV sedation and had a similar story as you. I don't remember any of it and it was wonderful. The recovery has been the hardest part, as I was in a lot of pain for the first week and am still feeling uncomfortable, but hoping it heals fast.

So glad you had a good experience! I got my wisdom teeth out two weeks ago with IV sedation and had a similar story as you. I don't remember any of it and it was wonderful. The recovery has been the hardest part, as I was in a lot of pain for the first week and am still feeling uncomfortable, but hoping it heals fast.

Glad to hear it went well! Hope you recover fast and feel well soon:)

Back