• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

IV Sedation tomorrow at 8.30am and I'm very anxious...

RustyRebecca

RustyRebecca

My appointment to have a root canal and a retainer fitted on a badly infected front tooth is tomorrow morning, early.
The dentist said she has to check my mouth first as my front tooth may have moved lower and I have lots of mouth ulcers from getting so run down.
But...if all is okay, it will go ahead, but I am so afraid of the IV sedation. Because I have a fear of losing control and I have read here that IV sedation may not be the best for a patient like me. Have also read here (because I basically read as much as I could here about IV sedation) that it can be amazing.
Ive asked her not to give me much, she has tried to be reassuring but I am still really anxious about it. What if I feel really dizzy (have a fear of fainting) or feel really unreal? They put you back so far in the chair, your feet are above your head (hate that). I am worried that I will freak out in the middle of the root canal somehow! And I definitely can't just get up and leave then...
Help :(

@RustyRebecca Hi Rebecca! I just wanted to say you aren't alone. My girlfriend had IV sedation for her 4 wisdom teeth and she was done in less than THIRTY minutes! I was shocked. She felt really giddy after and had no issues. Just some soreness. They took really great care of her and I know you will be okay! The sedation was a piece of cake. I know it's scary, I have to maybe get IV sedation and I am so nervous for the same reasons as you, but I think you vocalizing your fears will be helpful.

Just remember, the anticipation is even worse than the actual procedure. Once it's done, you will feel so good. Try to prepare ahead of time maybe keeping some pain meds on hand, ice packs or a bag of frozen veggies incase you are sore. I have had two root canals and one I had no soreness really at all, the other I did so now I know beforehand to prepare for that which also alleviates anxiety.

Remember to breathe through it. Count down in your head. Maybe take something you can hold in your hand like a stress ball. Once you are in the chair remind yourself "I am here now, this is a short time in my day that'll pass. Once it's done, it'll be so wonderful." Just remember the moment will pass.

It's so hard to feel out of control, I too have a fear of fainting. It's hard, but I believe in you Rebecca!

@conqueringfears Thank you so much Your response moved me :love:. I am so happy for your girlfriend. I bet she felt immense relief when it was done. Though feeling really giddy does make me anxious (part of the fear of losing control). Its the unknown I guess and because I get anxious when I feel unreal or out of it. Just enough of it to take the edge of would be good for me! I hope my dentist can do it like that. Thank you so much again. I will come back here tomorrow and let you know how it went. I have to keep thinking it will be over by eleven at the latest!

@RustyRebecca I am the same way as you. It is one of the reasons why sometimes I am afraid to drink alcohol, just feeling out of control. I know bad anxiety can make you feel unreal, sort of checked out and disconnected it's so normal, but can be so scary. Try to ground yourself, remind yourself you are safe, strong, remind yourself where you are and why, and how it's going to be okay. You can even look around the room and pick out objects, play a game of eye spy with yourself. It will be over and you will feel so good! You are brave. Please do report back ?

@RustyRebecca Oh and one more thing! Usually with the sedation you are so calm you wouldn't be able to even feel a worry or maybe even the dizziness you fear. You will feel relaxed. My dentist recommended me to an Endodontist for my root canal that offers oral sedation and another that does IV. It's so safe!

Hi Rebecca,
I was a bit nervous the first time as I didn't know what to expect. I have had IV twice now. They will put a canula in you arm and when all is ready give you the IV. It's completely painless and the next thing you'll know is coming to your normal senses in the waiting room or the car and you will almost certainly have no memory of anything that happened. By mid-morning tomorrow you'll be amazed at how it went off so easily. (Let us know!).
Mike

@borderer Thank you so much Mike. I just can't wait for it to be over and to be home again tomorrow. I don't think I will sleep much. I will return here and say how it went and then I can at last join so many other who have had (positive) experiences of IV sedation. (I'm still going to ask her not to give me too much ;-) )

It is 7.15am, and will be leaving soon. But I forgot to say, I suffer from complex trauma, from my childhood with a mother that controlled every thing I did, from going to the toilet (as in when I could go) to what I wore. And I think my intense fear of losing control and needing to trust the dentist will make this appointment actually not happen. The dentist doesn't understand this and I need to trust her implicitly (that is so important for traumatised patients). I also went to her once before and ended up leaving in a lot of pain. That memory doesn't help as she caused the pain and didnt even realise or know she had. I think I have resigned myself to this just not happening for me :(

@RustyRebecca

I had iv sedation in feb for the first time . Its simply amazing i honestly know your not gonna feel or recall anything. Youll wake once done and be like wow .

You will be fine .

Sadly that isn't what happened to me :( I went to the dentist but I had read here about IV sedation not being for people like me with such a fear of losing control. Mine dates back to my childhood trauma. I have to trust the dentist and I don't trust her. I feel gutted though that I couldn't do it and she used fear tactics on me so I know it was the right choice. And then took £600 from me! I had nothing done at all.

I'm going to post and hope that Gordon answers on a new thread. I feel so down and worried about it all

@RustyRebecca

So it seems you need to be referred to hospital . Such a shame you could not cope with the iv its amazing once in . Perhaps a new dentist . Where are you based ?

But IV sedation isn't right for everyone. People who feel the need to know what is happening, who do not like the effect of mind altering drugs...may not respond well. In fact, it is written here on dentalfearcentral that IV sedation can be a hindrance for people who fear losing control.
I don't need to be referred to a hospital, I need to trust the dentist. Definitely can't trust a dentist who says things like...you will be poisoned, your tooth may fall out, when you aren't having the treatment because of anxiety! I am based in Plymouth, UK

Bless so a new dentist it is . I am sure you will find one you trust

Just seeing this now. I am so sorry it didn’t work out for you. I can understand how your past would affect your ability to get treatment if you can’t find the right dentist. I hope you can find someone you trust. Are there any other options near you?

I can empathize with the need to be in control. I don’t like any medication that makes me groggy or not able to know what is going on. I have had general anesthesia when I was a kid for oral surgery but as an adult, I opt for nitrous or local. I won’t even take strong painkillers.

But IV sedation isn't right for everyone. People who feel the need to know what is happening, who do not like the effect of mind altering drugs...may not respond well. In fact, it is written here on dentalfearcentral that IV sedation can be a hindrance for people who fear losing control.

Umm, from memory, it’s supposed to be phrased in a way that allows people to weigh up the pros and cons of sedation, rather than an absolutist “if-then” dichotomy. We’ll need to review the page if it comes across as such.

Obviously, it is undesirable and wrong for someone who wants to be fully aware and who feels able to cope without sedation (as long as they get the TLC they require) to be “bullied” into sedation.

On the other hand, the pros of sedation (anxiety relief, feeling relaxed) may well outweigh any cons (e.g. preference for being in control) if you feel unable to stay calm during a procedure even with the help of a supportive dentist. It’s a lot easier to do quality work that lasts a long time is there’s less moving about if you get my drift ?.

So the key is to weigh up all the pros and cons as they apply to your particular situation, and then make a decision you (and preferably your dentist as well) are happy with…

@letsconnect What is written is here very good. It does help you to weigh up the pros and cons very well. A good chart and I realised I was in the cons chart.
And this part: 'But if you’re worried about not being in control of proceedings, “sleep dentistry” may be a hindrance rather than a help.' was what I meant, but it was in conjunction with the balanced thinking.
But I still wouldn't rule out IV sedation. I just think trust needs to be there first.

@letsconnect This is exactly it...what you say here:
'On the other hand, the pros of sedation (anxiety relief, feeling relaxed) may well outweigh any cons (e.g. preference for being in control) if you feel unable to stay calm during a procedure even with the help of a supportive dentist. It’s a lot easier to do quality work that lasts a long time is there’s less moving about if you get my drift ?.'
I hope that happens for me soon with the right dentist. Though I fear I am running out of time.

@RustyRebecca Hi Rebecca! Looking forward to hearing an update from you.

Back