• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Jaw feels broken! 4 days post extraction

G

GagaScared

Please can someone reassure me that my jaw is okay... it’s still slightly swollen 4 days post extraction (lower molar). It’s not any bigger but it’s also no smaller. It hurts if i talk too much or use much expression. I’m literally talking like a bad ventriloquist. If I open too wide I get a sudden ache that very quickly reminds me that I’ve pushed it too far.

my extraction site is okay (I think) altho my clot looks like it’s sinking into the socket and I have a few white fleshy bits around the edge.

M

MountainMama

Please can someone reassure me that my jaw is okay... it’s still slightly swollen 4 days post extraction (lower molar). It’s not any bigger but it’s also no smaller. It hurts if i talk too much or use much expression. I’m literally talking like a bad ventriloquist. If I open too wide I get a sudden ache that very quickly reminds me that I’ve pushed it too far.

my extraction site is okay (I think) altho my clot looks like it’s sinking into the socket and I have a few white fleshy bits around the edge.
Swelling is normal still. It usually peaks on the 3rd or 4th day and then slowly goes down. The pain and soreness is normal as well. I have had a few lower molar extractions and they were very similar.

Niall Neeson

Niall Neeson

Verified dentist
Hi GagaScared,

yes, as MountainMama said, that all sounds reasonably normal for a lower molar tooth. Of course, if things progress or get worse you’re best to have your dentist check it out but for now it all sounds like a reasonably normal healing process for a lower molar tooth.