• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Jaw Jerks?

L

LittleLynnie

About 5 years ago, my bottom jaw would suddenly jerk (once a day perhaps), and it was once so severe that my bottom teeth went in front of my tops and broke a front tooth in half. Since then, I've had all teeth removed and now wear dentures, but it has started happening again and I'm worried. I don't want my dentures to break like my old tooth did, and am hoping that I'm not suffering from some neurolgical issue of some sort. I vaguely recall reading about something like this mentioned here on this forum last year, but because my episodes were well behind me, I didn't pay much attention to what the diagnosis was. Now that it's happening again though (and now several times a day), I'm quite concerned. Any help or answers would be greatly appreciated.

Never heard of this, sorry. Sounds like a neurological issue rather than a dental one.

You're not likely to break a denture through this though, modern resins are really tough and there's a bit of movement in the dentures themselves which would cushion some of the impact.

That is a huge relief! The last thing I need is to have to pay out to replace my dentures. And it makes sense too, since they would have some give in them with regard to moving a little to absorb the jerk. Thank you!

Back