• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Jaw pain and swelling for more than 4 weeks

M

MountainMama

I am not a dentist obviously so no advice, but just wondering if they have checked you for muscular pain. I have pain in lower jaw from my muscles tightening up, started after I had a root canal on an upper molar, then had a lower molar removed. It feels like tooth pain sometimes and other times pain under my ear and along my jaw. Not sharp pain but the pain can change from a dull achey feeling to almost pressure pain, like sinus pain. My two lower molars are implants so the pain doesn’t come from teeth, and all my x rays are normal.
I do have a cracked lower molar on the other side and when it acts up it makes my jaw ache and I will get a dull throbbing in that tooth. It usually is mostly achy and it is hard to tell, but the tooth pain I can definitely tell it comes from that specific tooth, whereas the muscular pain moves around and I can’t say it comes from any one point. Sometimes one tooth hurts on the upper jaw, and sometimes it feels like the implants hurt. My oral surgeon has advised hot packs (I use rice in a cloth bag heated in the microwave) when it acts up. I have been to an ENT, and the oral surgeon multiple times and they say my teeth and sinuses are fine.

U

Useruser

I am not a dentist obviously so no advice, but just wondering if they have checked you for muscular pain. I have pain in lower jaw from my muscles tightening up, started after I had a root canal on an upper molar, then had a lower molar removed. It feels like tooth pain sometimes and other times pain under my ear and along my jaw. Not sharp pain but the pain can change from a dull achey feeling to almost pressure pain, like sinus pain. My two lower molars are implants so the pain doesn’t come from teeth, and all my x rays are normal.
I do have a cracked lower molar on the other side and when it acts up it makes my jaw ache and I will get a dull throbbing in that tooth. It usually is mostly achy and it is hard to tell, but the tooth pain I can definitely tell it comes from that specific tooth, whereas the muscular pain moves around and I can’t say it comes from any one point. Sometimes one tooth hurts on the upper jaw, and sometimes it feels like the implants hurt. My oral surgeon has advised hot packs (I use rice in a cloth bag heated in the microwave) when it acts up. I have been to an ENT, and the oral surgeon multiple times and they say my teeth and sinuses are fine.
Thank you so much.
No, not tested for muscle pain. Either the dentist or ENT didn't say about muscle pain.
I am exactly feeling the same. Constant ache moving around upper jaw, lower jaw, under the ear. It hurts to touch under the ear. No redness. But it's very tender and sore while touching under the ear. The upper jaw sometimes gives throbbing pain on all the molars like sinus pain. I do have nose congestion still from the sinus infection I had 2 weeks back. So this is totally confusing if it's secondary of sinus infection or my crack causing the swelling or TMJ or upper wisdom tooth.

My Endo said I might have a small crack in lower first molar, but she said it will not give swelling in the jaw. She is not sure why I have the swelling. Dentist also not sure. Dentist suspecting my crack causing these symptoms. He said it's a fracture. Went to Endo and she said it might be minor crack and that tooth is more sensitivity than other ones. So told me to get a Crown or RCT if pains more.

I don't want to go for RCT for this jaw pain and swelling with a guess that could be the reason. Don't know what could be the issue. I didn't visit any Oral surgeon yet. Do they check these issues? What would they do? Any x-ray or scan? I thought OS will be always refer to any surgical things and scared to go. How do you recover from that pain? Did you have any swelling when you have that jaw pain?

Any input is really appreciated.

M

MountainMama

Thank you so much.
No, not tested for muscle pain. Either the dentist or ENT didn't say about muscle pain.
I am exactly feeling the same. Constant ache moving around upper jaw, lower jaw, under the ear. It hurts to touch under the ear. No redness. But it's very tender and sore while touching under the ear. The upper jaw sometimes gives throbbing pain on all the molars like sinus pain. I do have nose congestion still from the sinus infection I had 2 weeks back. So this is totally confusing if it's secondary of sinus infection or my crack causing the swelling or TMJ or upper wisdom tooth.

My Endo said I might have a small crack in lower first molar, but she said it will not give swelling in the jaw. She is not sure why I have the swelling. Dentist also not sure. Dentist suspecting my crack causing these symptoms. He said it's a fracture. Went to Endo and she said it might be minor crack and that tooth is more sensitivity than other ones. So told me to get a Crown or RCT if pains more.

I don't want to go for RCT for this jaw pain and swelling with a guess that could be the reason. Don't know what could be the issue. I didn't visit any Oral surgeon yet. Do they check these issues? What would they do? Any x-ray or scan? I thought OS will be always refer to any surgical things and scared to go. How do you recover from that pain? Did you have any swelling when you have that jaw pain?

Any input is really appreciated.
My oral surgeon is who I was referred to because the dentist wanted to rule out a problem with the implants, but maxillofacial surgeons deal with TMJ related issues as well. Mine actually diagnosed me with two different issues. The first is the muscular issue. He pressed on different muscles and I would tell him when it hurt. He also pushed on places inside my mouth, where muscles connected to the jaw. It hurt at certain points, where it was sore to touch. One that really bothers me is right under my premolar on the bottom. If pressed on the place where my lip connects to my gums (the crease) it hurts when it is acting up. It does swell a little, but not too bad, kind of like the muscle tightens up and I occasionally get where my bite is off, like when I close my mouth my teeth don’t fit together right. There is no “cure” but there are exercises you can do to alleviate pain, and hot compresses help a LOT. It gets worse when I am stressed. I also wear a nightguard because when I clench my teeth at night it gets worse. Ibuprofen is supposed to help but I can’t take it.
The other issue I have is atypical facial pain, which basically means the nerves are misfiring. That is mostly on my upper teeth. That will be a sharp pain where it feels like a broken tooth almost, and can be very painful where it feels like the nerve is exposed or a dull burning pain. The teeth are always fine in an x ray. No cure for that either, unfortunately and nothing helps much to alleviate it. It is not consistent and switches around different teeth. Tylenol doesn’t make a difference at all. One day my front tooth will hurt and the next day my back molar will hurt (upper jaw).

U

Useruser

My oral surgeon is who I was referred to because the dentist wanted to rule out a problem with the implants, but maxillofacial surgeons deal with TMJ related issues as well. Mine actually diagnosed me with two different issues. The first is the muscular issue. He pressed on different muscles and I would tell him when it hurt. He also pushed on places inside my mouth, where muscles connected to the jaw. It hurt at certain points, where it was sore to touch. One that really bothers me is right under my premolar on the bottom. If pressed on the place where my lip connects to my gums (the crease) it hurts when it is acting up. It does swell a little, but not too bad, kind of like the muscle tightens up and I occasionally get where my bite is off, like when I close my mouth my teeth don’t fit together right. There is no “cure” but there are exercises you can do to alleviate pain, and hot compresses help a LOT. It gets worse when I am stressed. I also wear a nightguard because when I clench my teeth at night it gets worse. Ibuprofen is supposed to help but I can’t take it.
The other issue I have is atypical facial pain, which basically means the nerves are misfiring. That is mostly on my upper teeth. That will be a sharp pain where it feels like a broken tooth almost, and can be very painful where it feels like the nerve is exposed or a dull burning pain. The teeth are always fine in an x ray. No cure for that either, unfortunately and nothing helps much to alleviate it. It is not consistent and switches around different teeth. Tylenol doesn’t make a difference at all. One day my front tooth will hurt and the next day my back molar will hurt (upper jaw).
Thank you so much. Appreciate it.
Hope you feel better.

You are right. Tylenol doesn't make any difference. I tried that and doesn't help. Taking ibprufen now.

So, the OS will look for jaw issues, TMJ as well? I never been to one before. I still have my upper wisdom tooth. Have to pull that out after I sort this swelling and jaw pain.

Why are you not taking ibprufen?

M

MountainMama

Thank you so much. Appreciate it.
Hope you feel better.

You are right. Tylenol doesn't make any difference. I tried that and doesn't help. Taking ibprufen now.

So, the OS will look for jaw issues, TMJ as well? I never been to one before. I still have my upper wisdom tooth. Have to pull that out after I sort this swelling and jaw pain.

Why are you not taking ibprufen?
I had a very bad ulcer last year, and my doctor advised me against taking ibuprofen, because it can irritate the stomach.

I don’t know if all of them do, but mine evaluates for TMJ issues and muscular jaw pain.

U

Useruser

I had a very bad ulcer last year, and my doctor advised me against taking ibuprofen, because it can irritate the stomach.
Oh!!! That's right.
I always avoid ibprufen since it will increase my BP values. This time I don't have any other option.
I am taking prescription strength ibprufen twice a day. 800mg 2 times.
It really gives me stomach ache and upset. Currently going through this. Planning to take some OTC omniprazole. Hope that will help relief from my stomach symptoms. I am regretting that I took ibuprofen for past 2 days. Today I am down with stomach ache, tummy feels so tight and bloated. No diarrhea. I should stop using ibprufen.

U

Useruser

I have right ear pain, low jaw pain with swelling for more than a month.
I also had sinus and ear infection. Had antibiotics. Sinus cleared up.

I still have throbbing pain in the upper and lower jaw. It hurts to touch under the ear where I have swelling. The swelling is over the jaw line on the right side. Not able to open my mouth bigger. It hurts. What could be the issue? Went to the dentist and got xrays. He doesn't know what is the issue. Any help please.

U

Useruser

Hi all,
I am from another country and currently living in USA. I am currently going through some Health issue.
I have right ear pain(paining inside the ear), jaw pain under the ear with swelling for more than a month. The swelling is mild over the jaw line and under the ear. It's still the same for a month.

It started off after I chew some soft foods for a long time. Immediaty my upper jaw hurts and my ear hurts. I got the swelling in the jaw next day. I also had sinus and ear congestion. So, went to the urgent Care and got antibiotics for sinus , ear infection. After a week, sinus cleared up. Still had ear pain, jaw pain and swelling. Went to an ENT and checked sinus and ear. No infection.

I was totally confused what could be the issue. I don't have any pain on specific tooth. It's on the jaw. Upper and lower jaw. Throbbing pain..it hurts to touch under the ear where the jaw ends. It feel so tender there.

Went to dentist last week. He took x-rays. He said , there is no infection in the tooth since I had taken antibiotics already. No Infection present.

He did bite test and I felt so tender in one spot on lower first molar. Tooth #30.

So, he said I might have crack or fracture in that tooth. Told me to take cbct scan. I took it. But he said he couldn't see much in the scan, but predicting that it's a tooth crack or fracture and I need to extract that tooth..he said RCT will not be successful in cracks. I asked him why I have jaw pain and swelling. He said might be because of the crack.

I went to an Endo for another opinion. I took CBCT images with me. But the Endo didn't see those. He didn't take one cbct either. He did cold spray test and bite test. I felt discomfort in one spot in the bite test. He said I might have a crack. No fracture. And the lower first molar was very sensitive to cold. So he said I need a crown.

And told me to leave. I asked why I have jaw pain and throbbing pain at night while lying down for ten to twenty minutes. Then he said if I have throbbing pain so much, I need to do RCT. He tested one more time with more cold spray test and I felt so throbbing on that tooth for ten seconds and felt sore afterwards for ten to fifteen seconds. He said I might try RCT if that helps. I asked my main concern is the jaw pain with swelling. Why is it? He said crack will not cause swelling. So not sure. I left with no answer.

I am with the same pain and swelling. I do have throbbing pain in the upper jaw and lower jaw. It's hurt to touch under the ear where the jaw ends. I have swelling till the end of the lips to the jaw end. All over the jaw line. It hurts under the ear like sore scratchy pain. It hurts to touch. My jaw snaps whenever I open my mouth. I am not chewing on that side at all. I am using other side to eat food.

Sore pain inside the ear. Scratching kind of pain in the upper jaw and lower jaw under the ear. What could be the reason? It's throughout the day and night. Taken ibprufen . Nothing helps.

What could be my next best step? Please help.

Attaching x-ray images in the comment below. Couldn't attach cbct images as it's totally more than 500 images. I couldn't send those. Will attach the pan, other x-ray images.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Your next best step is to find a dentist that you're comfortable with and who will take some time to go through your symptoms with you and hopefully find a diagnosis.

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure that asking on here is going to help get you what you need, it's not possible to diagnose anything with any certainty from a computer screen, whatever is going on with your mouth it's not something simple or I would hope that one of the dentists you've already seen would have spotted it.
Diagnosing complex issues is not easy under the best of circumstances, but doing it remotely is impossible.

U

Useruser

Your next best step is to find a dentist that you're comfortable with and who will take some time to go through your symptoms with you and hopefully find a diagnosis.

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure that asking on here is going to help get you what you need, it's not possible to diagnose anything with any certainty from a computer screen, whatever is going on with your mouth it's not something simple or I would hope that one of the dentists you've already seen would have spotted it.
Diagnosing complex issues is not easy under the best of circumstances, but doing it remotely is impossible.
Thank you doctor. Appreciate it.

I asked an opinion from another dentist from my country. I am from another country, currently living in USA.
He saw the cbct scan images and sent the below response.

based on the scan there is an oblique fracture of the crown part of the tooth. there is some early infection in one of the roots. there is one small area where it could be communicating with surrounding soft tissue causing swelling but its very faint so cannot say for sure. but considering everything else- ear,throat, salivary glands are healthy, this is the most relevant cause of the infection. Have to do implant or RCT with crown. But implant is the best option.

He said the above. Did you see any oblique fracture doctor?

Attachments

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
I've never used CBT scans and have no expertise in interpreting the results of one, sorry.

U

Useruser

I've never used CBT scans and have no expertise in interpreting the results of one, sorry.
Thank you. That's fine doctor.
How do we know if we have a crack?

letsconnect

letsconnect

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, I think @Gordon answered your question a few posts ago. Here is the answer in case you may have missed it:

"Cracks are very hard to diagnose, unless they're blindingly obvious. Normally you go by symptoms. Pain on release of pressure, pain when biting on a specific part of the tooth etc."

U

Useruser

Hi,
I have been dealing with some jaw pain and swelling for more than a month. Been to different dentist office and couldn't get a proper answer yet. Dentist said I have a crack and that might cause jaw pain and swelling, but the Endo couldn't find any crack and said might be a minor one.

Went to an oral surgeon on Friday. He said my upper wisdom tooth is supra erupted and need to be extracted. He told me that is hurting the low jaw area. He prescribed ibprufen 800, robaxin 750, valium 5mg. He said to take valium at bed time.

I took robaxin for last 2 days and no changes in the pain and swelling. I was taking ibprufen even before the oral surgeon visit and it didn't reduce the pain/swelling. I read about valium and it's side effects. Is it a sedation drug?

I never had valium before. Any of you taken it for jaw pain? Does it really hello? I am so worried that it will make me sedate for hours. I do keep check on my kid who sleeps very late.

Anyone taken this before??

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Yes Valium is an oral sedative. Never prescribed it for joint pain. It might conceivably be of some help for a stressed out patient that's making their TMJ issues worse.

U

Useruser

Yes Valium is an oral sedative. Never prescribed it for joint pain. It might conceivably be of some help for a stressed out patient that's making their TMJ issues worse.
Thank you so much. He prescribed it for my jaw pain. He also gave me robaxin and ibprufen. I took robaxin 750 mg twice a day for 3days and took one valium last night. No change at all in the symptoms. I still have pain under the ear in the jaw.

What does it mean while it hurts to touch? Is it inflammation? If I touch under the ear area in the lower jaw(swelling too),it hurts. Does it mean inflammation? Or because of the lower molar crack?

letsconnect

letsconnect

Administrator
Staff member
Hi useruser, I don't think you'll be able to get an answer to your questions here by repeating them - as Gordon said,

Are there any teaching hospitals near you? Maybe somebody there could take a look.

U

Useruser

Hi useruser, I don't think you'll be able to get an answer to your questions here by repeating them - as Gordon said,

Are there any teaching hospitals near you? Maybe somebody there could take a look.
No teaching hospital near me.

U

Useruser

I have lower jaw pain under ear with swelling for 2 months. I didn't injure anywhere. did chew some soft foods more than usual on 3rd week if may. immediately after eating, my upper molars felt so tight and stiff. next day the lower jaw pain under the ear started with swelling. went to ENT, dentist, Endo and OMFS. I am in USA. so, have to go to different specialist to check the issue. my dentist said might be TMJ or upper WT or lower first molar tooth crack. removed upper WT 2 weeks back. I still have the same jaw pain and swelling. it now radiates to neck. my right side of the neck is little swollen and tender for 2 weeks. swelling in the jaw is same from day 1. I hear clicking sound in jaw while opening mouth. hurt to touch under ear and neck. it radiates till collar bone. don't know what's the reason. my OMFS told me to go to TMJ specialist.what's the issue and recommended treatment. it hurts while chewing food and eating. does it from any glands or lymph nodes or TMJ? how to identify?

Attachments

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
It's impossible to answer your question without examining you. If the OMFS said it's TMJ then it's likely to be that.