• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Jaw pain and swelling for more than 4 weeks

letsconnect

letsconnect

Administrator
Staff member
Hi @Useruser , if you read carefully through this thread, you may find some of your questions have been answered already, to the best to the ability of someone who has not had the opportunity to examine you in person.

As has been mentioned before, the key is to keep looking for a general dentist you can trust. We have a page with tips here:

Hoping that you'll find some relief soon!!

M

MumOfBoys1985

I dont want to sound rude, that's not my intention at all, But Gordon has answered your question quite a few times already, and it seems you've been back and forth to your dentist with no real relief or conclusion.

If you've got swelling in your neck and elsewhere (not your teeth or mouth) do you think a medical general practitioner might be better placed to help rather than a dentist? I am not a dentist or medical person but you don't seem to be getting the answers youre wanting from the dentist so it may be that dental, all is fine?

Its horrible to feel so agitated and worried about your teeth, I struggle with this too, but I'm not sure that anymore answers can be given here.

U

Useruser

I dont want to sound rude, that's not my intention at all, But Gordon has answered your question quite a few times already, and it seems you've been back and forth to your dentist with no real relief or conclusion.

If you've got swelling in your neck and elsewhere (not your teeth or mouth) do you think a medical general practitioner might be better placed to help rather than a dentist? I am not a dentist or medical person but you don't seem to be getting the answers youre wanting from the dentist so it may be that dental, all is fine?

Its horrible to feel so agitated and worried about your teeth, I struggle with this too, but I'm not sure that anymore answers can be given here.
I do understand that I can't expect answers here. Just trying to see some people real life experience and inputs that they can share with. Hope this is clear. You are not rude though.
I did check with my medical doctor and did an ultra sound for neck. My medical doctor has referred me to neurologist and I have seen them too.

U

Useruser

Hi,
I had root canal on tooth #30 in September. No infection or cavities. I have constant sore and burning pain in the lower jaw under ear and side of the neck since may month. I have some lump spots in jaw under ear and neck , it hurts to touch those spots. Went to dentist and he took Cbct scan and suspect there might be a fracture in #39 and told me to extract it. I went to Endo. Endo couldn't see any fracture. He said that tooth is sensitive to bite and cold spray. It hurts when he taps on that tooth and to bite on tooth sloth. It's like sore pain , tenderness and sensitivity. So he recommended rct. But he is not sure if that tooth is causing the lower jaw and neck pain.

I got rct and crown done. Still same symptoms. I have sore pain on that tooth and gum since core and crown placed. I got the permanent crown done and still same symptoms in jaw and neck. Also, same sore pain in that tooth and gum. I am not chewing on that tooth or that side at all. Using only opposite side.
My dentist suspect there might be a fracture in that tooth and wanted me to go for extraction as I am dealing with this since long time. He sent me to Endo for a consult before proceeding with extraction.

I went to Endo and he tested. That tooth still hurts for tapping. He was surprised that root canaled crown tooth should not hurt or sensitive for tapping and biting. I bite on a bite paper and that gives sore pain, tenderness and sensitivity. He said tapping pain and biting pain should not be there after rct. He told me to do extraction as there might be fracture. He said we can't diagnose fracture. We have to go with guess.
He haven't seen my cbct before. He couldn't view cbct from other dental offices. I asked him to take a cbct at his office, even though he said it won't show anything,only the bone loss. Still I wanted to get some confirmation from him.

I took new cbct and he saw that. He said no bone loss noted , so no fracture. He said the root canal fillings are narrow. He did it conservatively. He said he will make it wider and see if it helps. Just to make it bigger on all canals. If that doesn't help, you can go for extraction.
Does wider fillings help with tooth tapping pain, biting pain? Does it indicate fracture?
Need inputs please.
He said he will do re-rct for free. But the dentist said he will charge me for the new crown if my current permanent crown breaks during the retreatment. So I am considering the cost as well.

Does the retreatment rct helps with this sore pain and tenderness? If no bone loss noted ,does it mean no fracture? I asked the Endo if there is no fracture spotted, does this tooth related to my jaw and neck pain. That pain is my main concern. I am focusing on this tooth only to overcome the jaw and neck pain. That is more constant and severe. He didn't reply anything.

I have taken cbct scan. Will attach those pics in a drive link. It has around 600+ images.
Attaching xray images. Do I need to do the retreatment ? Any inputs please. Really appreciate it.

Attachments

K

Katie7730

Before and after rct.
I’ve just been reading your story, and I’m not a dentist ,but I have had a couple of root canals, and I have read a few stories about them. Is there a chance there could a be a missed canal on the root canal tooth with the biting /tapping pain?
I take it the endo used the microscope? I think sometimes there can be some small canals that can still cause pain and might be worth discussing this with the endo.
Have you had any blood tests to check for infection in the blood?
Have you been on any antibiotics?
Sorry you’re in so much pain and sounds like a frustrating set of events. I’m having a bit of a trouble with a tooth at the moment so I know it’s a miserable time

U

Useruser

I’ve just been reading your story, and I’m not a dentist ,but I have had a couple of root canals, and I have read a few stories about them. Is there a chance there could a be a missed canal on the root canal tooth with the biting /tapping pain?
I take it the endo used the microscope? I think sometimes there can be some small canals that can still cause pain and might be worth discussing this with the endo.
Have you had any blood tests to check for infection in the blood?
Have you been on any antibiotics?
Sorry you’re in so much pain and sounds like a frustrating set of events. I’m having a bit of a trouble with a tooth at the moment so I know it’s a miserable time
Thank you. Appreciate it.
No, I haven't taken any blood work to check infection.
Yes, I have taken antibiotics earlier many times since may month. Feel very bad that I took so many antibiotics.

Currently on antibiotics since Endodontist prescribed me this week for 7 days for this tapping, biting pain. I don't know if antibiotics helps with that.
Endo did use the microscope. He didn't say anything about missed canals. He said that he will make filling wider in this re-rct retreatment.

U

Useruser

Hi,
I notice something on my left lower teeth gum area. On the gum of left lower first and second molar. #18, #19.
I had a cavity filling on #19 in 2018 and it was a very shallow cavity and shallow filling. It was troubling me for an year and had so many bite adjustments. Still same sore and sensitivity. So dentist refilled it on 2019. I sometimes have sore pain when chewing crunchy and hard food on that tooth. The bite is not hard enough and I cannot chew properly. I didn't check that tooth again after that.
Since last week, i feel sore and tenderness on that tooth and gum. If I rub my finger on the gum area , it hurts sore and tender. It's very sore and tender. What does it Indicate? Only on that 2 molar tooth gum area.
What to do for this sore pain on gum and tooth? sometimes hurt
Another history detail to mention, I have lower jaw pain under ear and neck in the right side for 8 months now. I have been going around doctors and dentists for that issue. No diagnosis for that yet. Have been told that might be a fracture in #30. Endodontist did root canal on it , but dentist want to me to do extraction .
But cbct scan and xray didn't show anything. Since this issue started in May, I am using only the left side for eating and chewing. I don't know if that makes that teeth and gum on the left lower side sore and tender.
What to do for this sore pain? It hurts to chew or bite on that tooth#19. I get this sore pain while eating, chewing, brushing, rubbing my finger on that molar teeth gums. Please help. Does it indicate filling fall off or referred pain from other side? Sore gums since 3 days.

letsconnect

letsconnect

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tried asking on the Dentistry Reddit? We've got a list of forums where you can ask for second opinions and where you can post general dental questions here:

U

Useruser