• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Jelly like feeling in extraction site 3 weeks later

N

Natalie.emery

Had upper molar extraction 2.5 weeks ago hole healing however on one part can feel sharp bit with tonge feels like a splinter and that part dosent seem to be healing what isit bone ? Do inneed to go back or will it work it’s way out ?! Would appreciate a reply very anxious

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re: Someone reply please

Hi Natalie,

I had the same thing with an upper molar after extraction and it ended up to be bone shards, it is very annoying for sure.. well. I ended up switching dentists my new dentist did a surgery to get of the shards which was basically making a flap and filing the shards down, it didn't take long at all and a few days of some pain which was doable with painkillers.. nothing too bad.. if this is what you have.

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member

p.s. also in answer , some of my shards did make their way out naturally and it does do that.. some parts were bigger so needed the extra help but really not bad at all!! very tolerable.

Judythecat

Judythecat

I had a lower molar taken out last year and had lots of bone fragments (really difficult extraction). The dentist removed some with tweezer things when I went in for my follow-up appointment, and the rest seemed to rise up and work their way out naturally. She said it was absolutely nothing to worry about, and very common.

N

Natalie.emery

Thank you for replying to me .. seems to be healing ok just the part where I can see / feel something just doesn’t seem to be healing I guess this will heal as it’s pushed out . Never had this with an extraction before really had nothing but trouble and slow healing .. fed up

N

Natalie.emery

Thank you for replying to me .. seems to be healing ok just the part where I can see / feel something just doesn’t seem to be healing I guess this will heal as it’s pushed out . Never had this with an extraction before really had nothing but trouble and slow healing .. fed up
Can I also ask is it normal to feel jelly like feeling in the extraction site 3 weeks later is that gum ?

N

Natalie.emery

Anyone

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Jelly feeling is probably granulation tissue. It's normal.

N

Natalie.emery

Even 3 weeks later ?

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Sure, it takes a while for a socket to heal.