• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Journey through dental phobia to a new smile

:thankyou: thank you for your kind words :hug4:

Well the doctor says its generalized anxiety I say its stress but it only started 5yrs ago when all the dental stuff came up,it clearly won't be going anytime soon wish I could keep busy.

Yes, GAD can be triggered by one thing initially and then affect other areas of your life. Maybe therapy of some kind would really help? Why do you feel that you can't keep busy? ?

Yes, GAD can be triggered by one thing initially and then affect other areas of your life. Maybe therapy of some kind would really help? Why do you feel that you can't keep busy? ?

I don't think therapy would help just need things to hurry up,I just have nothing to occupy me so lots of sitting+waiting (literally).

I don't think therapy would help just need things to hurry up,I just have nothing to occupy me so lots of sitting+waiting (literally).
Hi, I felt sure I had replied to this comment you sent, I really think I did but it was on another journal, maybe Anxious76's?

Well... D-Day is in 2 days, actually it's less than that now as it's 10pm here now. So Tuesday morning at 10am I will be at last having IV sedation to remove my temporary bridge and have final impressIons taken. In a few weeks time, I will have another apt to insert the permanent bridge. Again under IV. I have had a few shaky moments today for sure, not too bad but definitely feeling a bit anxious. I am afraid of having IV and the procedure, but so tired of being stuck like this and my jaw being tender and achy and my bite being off, that I just want it over and done with now. I am already 2 months overdue for this appointment due to my not numbing up in the last apt done with just LA, and then my IV was cancelled on the 21st March. So yes-I'm ready. As I will ever be. I just want this to be a non-event, event and for it to be a positive experience so that I can have it again in the future.
I appreciate you following my story and all the good wishes and positive messages. It really has made a world of difference-THANK YOU!

Hi everyone, thought I'd write my update now, so that hopefully this will help someone but I also am doing so as a kind of thankyou to all those who have followed my story so far and have wished me well.
I slept well last night, woke around 5.45am this morning and lay there thinking and praying, until I started thinking those horrible, anxious thoughts and I decided to get up and on with the day. I had read the pre-op instructions the night before and knew I couldn't eat anything 8 hours before the appointment, and that I could drink water up till 2 hours before. So I drank a big glass of water first thing and then I decided to have a coffee too. I started drinking that but then felt too nervous to continue so put it down the sink. Then my husband suggested that we take a look at the instructions again so we knew exactly what to expect to do. So, to my HORROR, I re-read the instructions and there in fine print, it said only WATER to be consumed up to 2 hours before. My heart just sank, because I knew this could be a big problem and even lead to my appointment being cancelled, but I also knew it's better to be safe than sorry so I rang my dentist and I spoke to the IV co-ordinator and explained. She said she would ask the dentist and the anaesthetist about it and get right back to me. She did so a couple of minutes later and said that everyone was comfortable to go ahead with the appointment so I was so relieved. And In that moment, I realized how upset I would have been to have it cancelled and delayed yet again-I actually wanted to go ahead!
Well, the time flew by until we were at last in the car. I had had a cry in the house before we left, my husband and family and friends were all so supportive and that helped so much, but I still had to talk to myself and pray some more. When we arrived at the dental office, everyone in the office was so nice, as always. There was a delay and I had to go to the restroom with nerves! But at last I was called in, and then delayed again. The dentist was apologetic and said that they were behind schedule and that the anaesthetist would be in to start my drip shortly. At that point, I seriously wondered what the heck I was doing there, I just felt so sick and my tummy was churning and I felt so scared. But my husband was there with me and he was so calming and kind to me and I held on.
So this is what happened. The anaesthetist came in the room and introduced himself. He then explained everything he was going to do. He looked for a vein in the inside of my elbow and inserted the needle. I'm not bothered by needles, but for those who are, it was the tiniest pricking sensation and it was then done. He started a saline drip and left for about 5 mins. Then the dentist and 2 assistants came in and they started to prepare for my procedure. One of the assistants stuck some ekg pads on to my chest and tummy. Then the anaesthetist came in again and he said he was going to put the meds in, no more needles needed, he just attached something to the existing cannula I think, and in went the midazolam. And then he said now, something for the pain, and that was the fentanyl. So a few seconds later, I felt just really relaxed and knew I was closing my eyes. I apparently told my husband, who had stayed in the room with me-sat in a comfy chair-"its not working" and he said it took about 40 seconds for me to go out. But to me it was a few seconds. I have heard lots of people on this forum say that they had the drug administered and the they were out and don't remember anything else until they woke up at home, but I remember bits and pieces; I remember the nurse saying to me to breathe through my nose not my mouth, because the oxygen tubes were not picking up my breathing. I did feel the injections going in to my front gums, and they were a bit painful and I thought why isn't he using the numbing cream? I think I asked one of the nurses and they replied that it was so the dentist knew I was still able to respond. I think I will ask him next time to use it anyway. I didn't hear or feel the drill, nothing at all. They said to my husband that my vitals were textbook, which I was glad to hear as they were all over the place before I had the drugs administered! Then after they had removed my temp and drilled the front teeth, (which I knew nothing about), I started to become more aware as they were doing the impressions, apparently that's how the dentist wanted it, so that I could respond and bite on the paper when asked etc. It wasn't unpleasant, I wasn't worried or anything, I remember thinking, am I going to get nervous now, but I didn't. And then I became even more aware and had my eyes open and I was listening and talking to the assistant. My husband said I was mostly quiet during the whole thing and when the dentist told me I was doing really great I just waved my hand towards him with my eyes still closed haha! Another funny moment was when I had been brought round at the end and they gave us the post sedation instructions and I said to the assistants, quite seriously, "but can I drink red wine tonight and my husband said "but honey, you don't even drink red wine?" I said "No, but it goes really, really well with a big steak" so work that one out haha! The assistant laughed apparently!
I was groggy and unsteady on my feet and my husband had to put my boots on that were in the dental office's boot room and he and a member of their office staff had to support me when I walked out to the car park. I suppose I must have looked funny walking out through the waiting room like that but I didn't care at the time and I remember smiling at the office staff as I went haha!
I slept most of the car journey home, it is about 10 mins away but my lovely hubby had a pillow and blanket ready for me and I was very comfortable. Back home, I decamped onto the sofa and had a glass of O.J. which I apparently insisted on, even though I only drink it occasionally ;) I then slept for a couple of hours and felt groggy until dinnertime when I had some pasta. I don't have much pain at all, considering I had my temp bridge removed, had my prepped teeth drilled, and had my gumline slightly burned away on a couple of teeth. Don't even need pills. I realize that I remember less about what happened as the day has gone, I don't know if that is how other's experiences or if that is just me though
So after all the worry, the catastrophic thinking, the anxious and panicky moments, I want you to know that the actual experience of IV was wonderful! I wanted a 'non-event, event' and that is what I got. The worst part was in my head. I am so thankful that this option is available for everyone who needs it. It is a Godsend and I'm NEVER going to lose a minute's peace worrying about having It again in a few weeks, there is NOTHING to worry about. So if you are having complex, uncomfortable work done, or you are terrified of having any kind of dental work done at all, please don't let the fear of IV sedation stop you.
Please feel free to ask me about questions :)

Last edited:
:jump::jump::jump:
:claps::claps::claps:
:dance::dance::dance:

Well done and congrats!. So happy it went well, you have been waiting and worrying about this for so long! This are great news. Glad to hear you feel confident and ready to go through it for one more tome. You must feel so relieved.
The wine-part was very funny :giggle:

Take care and recover soon :XXLhug:

:jump::jump::jump:
:claps::claps::claps:
:dance::dance::dance:

Well done and congrats!. So happy it went well, you have been waiting and worrying about this for so long! This are great news. Glad to hear you feel confident and ready to go through it for one more tome. You must feel so relieved.
The wine-part was very funny :giggle:

Take care and recover soon :XXLhug:

Thanks so much! I'm so glad I did this and I'm so grateful it's available! I'm a little sore this morning but that's to be expected. I feel so much lighter :)

Well done/congrats glad it wasn't nearly as bad as you'd imagined. Did you have it done in a local surgery then rather than a hospital? Its just here in the the uk pretty sure any sedation has to be done in a hospital. Wow your mind is already thinking of tucking into a big steak (perhaps not quite yet tho) lol what's the next part you have to get done?

Well done/congrats glad it wasn't nearly as bad as you'd imagined. Did you have it done in a local surgery then rather than a hospital? Its just here in the the uk pretty sure any sedation has to be done in a hospital. Wow your mind is already thinking of tucking into a big steak (perhaps not quite yet tho) lol what's the next part you have to get done?

Thank you so much! It was nothing at all like my darkest, most anxious thoughts. It was great, just a very positive, relaxing experience as most people have said on this forum. Yes, I had it done in my dental office. It was one of the things that was holding me back, I thought it wouldn't be safe like going into hospital. But at my Jan appointment when I wouldn't numb up, I knew IV was the last option and so I met with my dentist and asked him a load of questions about the procedure and I was satisfied with his answers. Like he told me that his office have hospital standard equipment for IV and that they even use equipment that they don't have to use, but they do anyway for extra safety. I was also impressed that there are more than 2 members of staff present for sedation. I know some offices who just have the dentist and his assistant there, with the dentist operating the IV himself. But at my office, they have a nurse there to administer the IV and another assistant to just monitor the monitor that tracks your vitals. So I just felt comfortable to go ahead. I know the UK doesn't use it in most offices, they really should in my view. I'm a Brit and I have lived in dread for years, to varying degrees, of the dentist and this is such a great way to get complex or uncomfortable procedures done. And for anyone who has anxiety or even like me, is difficult to numb or has extra sensitive teeth, it's truly miraculous! It's like having an epidural instead of going through a torturous birth, these types of medical breakthroughs are so life changing.
Haha, yes-the steak might have to wait for a bit longer :) next thing is to have the permanent bridge placed and hopefully i won't have to wait too long for that appointment, they're booked a few weeks in advance because it's so popular.
I am not at all worried about having it again, it was fab. :)

I am SO incredibly happy and relieved for you that your appointment went fantastic and the Sedation was a hit! Congratulations to you, I knew you could do it! ?❤️

I am SO incredibly happy and relieved for you that your appointment went fantastic and the Sedation was a hit! Congratulations to you, I knew you could do it! ?❤️

Thanks so much, it means a lot to me to have your support. Sedation was fantastic! ?

I've never had the option its been G/A (twice so far)+prob will be for the next ones,they've said 2 more at least,so don't even feel half way through yet. Oh your a brit :) how long have you lived overseas? Is that it then 1 more op+your done?

I've never had the option its been G/A (twice so far)+prob will be for the next ones,they've said 2 more at least,so don't even feel half way through yet. Oh your a brit :) how long have you lived overseas? Is that it then 1 more op+your done?

Have you asked to be referred to a sedation clinic? I know some private practices offer it as well. I must read your journal to find out what's been happening with your story. Yes! And very proud to be :) well I lived in the past ten years I've lived in Calgary, Alberta, Winchester, California, back to England for a while and now we live in Alberta again. My husband in duel American/Canadian and his job involves moving.
Well, I have an implant and crown on my back teeth but I'm not in any rush, it's been 6 months of dental work, I think I'll probably take a break for a bit. :)

Have you asked to be referred to a sedation clinic? I know some private practices offer it as well. I must read your journal to find out what's been happening with your story. Yes! And very proud to be :) well I lived in the past ten years I've lived in Calgary, Alberta, Winchester, California, back to England for a while and now we live in Alberta again. My husband in duel American/Canadian and his job involves moving.
Well, I have an implant and crown on my back teeth but I'm not in any rush, it's been 6 months of dental work, I think I'll probably take a break for a bit. :)

No moving now would be complicated if I did it would be to another hospital,can't afford to go private. Wow I'd love to go to Canada it must be lovely+scenic. Yes have a well deserved break if your in no hurry.

No moving now would be complicated if I did it would be to another hospital,can't afford to go private. Wow I'd love to go to Canada it must be lovely+scenic. Yes have a well deserved break if your in no hurry.

I just read your journal, it's a terrible situation you're in. I think unless you self-advocate in this situation, your going to continue to feel frustrated and cut-off from life, and that's just such a shame. I hope you find someone to listen.
Yes, Canada is very beautiful, we are blessed :)

Thanks so much, it means a lot to me to have your support. Sedation was fantastic! ?

Sedation is amazing, I won’t hesitate to use it or have any major work done without it.

Sedation is amazing, I won’t hesitate to use it or have any major work done without it.

Me too! As my dentist said "why put yourself through it if you don't need to?"

Well, after 2 days of domestic comforts and being out of my normal routine, I’m back to work today. I have a little discomfort where he lengthened a couple of teeth, but it’s nothing much.
I am going to see the lab today to choose the colour and shape of my final bridge, I’m excited about that because it’s going to be made in the new material, called enmax I think, and it’s ultra strong and very asthetic apparently so it should look great. And.....I rang my dental office yesterday and booked myself in for my last appointment for a while, under IV. It’s on the 3rd of April, in the Easter hols, so I will be off work so won’t need to take extra time off.
Again, I loved my IV sedation experience, it was very effective and very gentle. I’m looking forward to my next appointment because I know it will be manageable, it’s not going to be overwhelming. This work has got to be done, and now I can get it done without all the dread and panicky feelings for weeks in advance.
Im so grateful for the experiences at the dentist we can have nowadays, we just have to find the right dentist for us and then have the courage to step forward :)

Last edited:
It was almost 48hrs after my IV sedation and I did go back to work today as planned. I got up and made breakfast, as usual I had porridge, but I didn't really find it that appetizing today, my appetite has been a bit off all week. Each time I've had dental work done this past 6 months, it's been the same for a few days, (and after my 4hr appointment last Sept, it took a few weeks), upset stomach, feeling nauseous, tired and a bit low etc and I put it down to all the stress and worry before and during the appointment so it was expected this time. Anyway, I went to work and was fine and got back into things. However, at about 11.30 in the morning I started to feel really tired and weak and nauseous, just not myself. I put the feelings out of my mind but still felt quite bad and also started to feel light-headed. This just carried on until I went to the staff room for lunch and I felt just the same. Went back to work at 12.45 and just felt faint and sick and so tired. I thought about ringing my husband to pick me up but then thought better of it. I finish work at 3pm so I thought I could just push through. But I just continued to feel bad and started feeling a bit shaky so that was when I actually did call and ask for my husband to pick me up. It was 1.30 so I only missed an hour and a half of work. I came home and just fell into bed on my husband's insistence. I felt a bit panicky by this point as I wondered if something was really wrong. But I just rested for a couple of hours and felt so much better. I'm not going in to work tomorrow either, I feel I should just give myself more time to recover. I think I probably went back to work too early, but I just didn't think it would be a problem to do so. Has anyone else felt this way?
I also had a callback from the IV co-ordinator at my dental office. When I booked my appointment for the 3rd, I asked if she could ask my dentist why I wasn't given numbing gel for my injections on Tuesday. The upper front gums and the palate are always the most tender places I find and I did feel 3 injections when I had my IV. It wasn't unbearable pain but I did think "owwww!" as they were given and wondered to myself why my dentist hadn't used the gel as per usual. She told me that they do that to stimulate you, that they don't want you to be completely unaware. But she said if I did want the gel then I could have It. I said well if they could do something else to stimulate me instead of me feeling the injection pain, such as gently shaking my shoulder or something, that I'd prefer that ?. And she said that was perfectly fine and that she herself had also felt one injection during her IV procedure a few weeks ago. It's important to say here that it was NOT super painful or scary at all to feel the injection, and if I felt it again, I would not be upset because you are very relaxed and not at all concerned and that is literally the only thing I felt throughout the whole thing. I didn't hear the drill or much of anything at all, just two sentances in an hour and a half procedure and that suits me fine!
So I'm hopefully going to get a good nights sleep nights sleep now and be feeling much better in the morning. I think maybe it's wise to just chill out and potter around the house rather than do anything too much, I want to enjoy a busy weekend with my family!
That's all for now, take care everyone and best of luck for anyone going through dental work tomorrow! ? Good for you to push through the fear and go forward with courage!

Last edited:
Back