• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Journey to recovery - all you can imagine

So I got the CT - that wasn't anything special.

But I did have a little accident yesterday. I was calmly eating a sandwich when my crown fell off :scared: So I called the clinic and got an emergency appointment for today.
I was a bit sad but not surprised. The crown did fit but it was a thee whee bit off. And especially with not having a proper bite it is very hard to understand for me or explain how it is off. As I don't really know how to close my teeth properly. The only point in my mouth where my bottom and top teeth meet are where the crown is and that is not a biting area. So... I kinda feel it was a weird emotional subconscious decision where i was kind of happy it fell off on its own. We couldn't really adjust anything on it as there is no bite we can adjust it to.

So I went in today. My dad was really pissed but he doesn't understand exactly the situation in my mouth. But being pissed because of a simple procedure going wrong is understandable. Anyhow I was kind of ready to complain in a sensible sarcastic way... but my lead doc was in the examine room with my Miss Doc when I got there and he gave her quiet a lecture that even I started feeling bad. Then they both examined in every detail both my tooth and the crown to figure out what could have gone wrong and then my lead doc stayed for the hole procedure to make sure everything goes fine. Because they had to adjust both the base of the tooth and the crown a bit this way actually it fits much much much better. The difference is probably a nano-millimeter but it feels way more comfortable and stable. Funnily it wasn't wobbly or anything I could chew on it fine and it survived two impression sessions when it didn't come off. So I still think it was partly my subconscious trying to get rid of it haha.
Anyhow going through the whole procedure there really is a crazy time sensitivity and step by step procedure where something went wrong between the first 40 seconds of applying the crown and heating the glue material. :dunno: Then my doc stayed behind for a second to sincerely apologies I could tell she felt both bad for me and for herself. But in the end I funnily feel a thee whee bit happier that it turned out this way and we didn't have to drill and whatever to make any adjustments later on.

Another unplanned trip to the dentist...

My subconscious is so connected these days to my mouth it is crazy. On Saturday evening after months of not dreaming with my teeth I had a dream about the crown falling off again. On the two days following I again kept touching the tooth with my tongue checking every little detail not being sure what will happen. Then on Monday it fell off again and I was really devastated. I was there obviously when they put it on and everything went step by step as it should so I just felt this huge sorrow and sadness for this to happen again. I wasn't scared or pissed just sad. I also wasn't surprised as if my mind kept telling me - told ya it will happen again. :( I was once again eating. But I don't eat anything hard to chew, I was eating bread. And this should be a dead strong glue which survives chewing - so it makes no logical sense. All I felt was my body saying: alien object, alert alien object lets get rid of it.

Thing was I could have just gone to the doc if I lived alone, but I knew my dad will be super pissed. And I would know he is over reacting. Because one way he is right that this shouldn't happen and I know he will never trust 100% my docs because I chose them and not he did. And I also lived through every moment with that tooth and he just doesn't get it as me with my first hand experience. So I totally panicked that I can't tell my parents what happened. I also had a horrible night, like there was this anxiety stuck in my body. Once I managed to fall asleep I had a dream with me going back tot he doctor and us trying to put the tooth back and I just wanted to get out of that dream because i got anxious even within my dream. And I couldn't wake up.

In the morning I got a call from my doctor. I was at home so I couldn't explain to him that the crown fell off I was worried that my dad will hear it. My doc sounded super happy though. He looked at my CT scans and he is happy to say that we can go ahead with the implant without further ado. My bones are healthy, I don't need additional bone craft surgery. He might add some bone craft but I don't need anything separately. He also suggested that 5 implants would be enough instead of 6, as one of the molars I wouldn't miss. And that they will call me back to arrange a meeting where we decide on the details.

:( Cut to the afternoon. I had to call him back in the afternoon and tell him that the crown fell off again :dunno: We were both a bit confused so he told me to come in today and he will do it himself - I asked to come alone as I don't want my dad to know about it.

So I went today during my lunch break. It is strange in a way that I am now totally shifting over to my main doctor who did the surgery and will do the implants. I mean he is the main reason why I am at that clinic, obviously he is the one who is overseeing my whole journey - and the only time so far that he has treated me was when I was asleep. So I was looking forward to finally be treated by him and actually remember it.
:whirl:
So we discussed a bit how I felt what was wrong. He seemed really amused how my subconscious made me dream that the crown will fell off. Then he said he will try now I different technique and then examined both the stud and the crown and then prepared it for the procedure. Well I mean finally. It all felt good and I felt safe and I was just rooting for him also super happy that I could sit in a dental chair without any worry or fear and feeling absolutely safe. I probably feel less safe when crossing the street as there. And I kept thinking - he is working on my tooth everything will be fine.
So then we did about a 15 minute long bite adjustment. :( I was on one hand super sad that he had to adjust my super nice and shiny and porcelain crown. On another hand I felt confident that he really understands how much I have no bite. He also told me how careful he has to be because I am missing my molars, and I am not biting down on my molars obviously. And my crown kept feeling bit scruffy and that made me sad. I didn't say anything but he immediately reassured me that he will polish it. And then if felt again nice and new.It still feels a bit scratched bit this way my brain I think excepts it more as real tooth and not something that doesn't belong there. So now it is waaay smaller and really really pushed into my gum line and so far it seems secure. Anyhow doc said if by any chance this wouldn't work out either, they will make me a new crown. And obviously all is would be complimentary. I told him i really like this crown and I would much rather keep it :love: So fingers crossed.

Going back on Friday to discuss the implants. So curious and excited about them. :jump:

I was so excited yesterday for this morning as a kid before Christmas day. :love::jump::cheer2::claps:

So started this morning at the dental office with a proper consultation meeting, my main doc, my lady doc (I was really happy she could sit in and still keep up what will happen to me), my dad and me. They set up a computer with this SMART CT program, which pretty much looked like how they make VFX in movies. My doc could navigate virtually all over my mouth, different layers and angles.

Then he basically explained each tooth one by one. The final decision is that I will be getting 4 implant on the top, 2-2 next to each other. With both the bone density is good but not perfect. He said it is good enough for not to need a separate bone craft and sinus lift surgery but he will put in some bone craft at both places as an addition. For the back under the molars - where I had the cyst and feared that I would need a sinus lift - he is going to do a bit of a lift, but something where the implant itself will lift my bone a bit and out the craft next to it. I don't know the name of the technique but I remember seeing this in videos. He will also use this smart guide template. Basically based on the plan, my CT scans and on our agreement they lab will 3D print a template of my mouth which will help him to put in the implants with the bigest precision and lowest risk. To be very sure because 2 of my teeth are towards the front so there the space is a risk, 2 of them are under my sinus where the bone hight is a risk. And this technique should give the most security.

Then we discussed my lower jaw where I would only need 1 implant instead of the missing 2. Because my bite is off that one implant will connect with both of the molars on the top - there is some good in bad haha. There thankfully everything is good bone wise so he will just place the implant without guide.

He also funnily noted that he discovered a really tiny tiny beginning of a cavity on the CT scan that was not visible on the Xrays and we will fill it in once I am through with the implants. I really like this total precision. He also briefly mentioned that my crown probably kept felling off because of the biting power all coming together on 2 of my teeth - one of them being the one with the crown.

Then we discussed implants, technology, biology everything in general how it will work, he then fully explained the difference between Alpha Bio and Straumann. So we decided to go with Straumann. His personal explanation was that Starumann has 60 years behind them, Alpha bio has appr 10 years. For about the past 10 years he used to work with Alpha Bio because Straumann was less accessible, but in the past 5 years he uses Straumann just as frequently. He said both are reliable, in the screw technology part he wouldn't really spot any difference but with the attachment of the heads and the heads themselves he has experienced less problem with Straumann. So we decided to go with that.

We then discussed the surgery itself where both my docs were super supportive stating they see how crazy progress I made and they would understand if I wanted to do it under anesthesia but they think I can totally handle doing it awake. Which I agreed with. They said they can even put in all 5 implants in one sitting, and the plan is thats what they will schedule and prepare for, we will put in the top ones. And then I can decide if I can handle one more or we should take a break and do the rest another time. So weird because contrary to the extractions I am quiet OK with putting in stuff haha. And my main doc is so super cool that I really want to experience being treated by him and I am quiet curious about the whole process. I have went through fillings, drillings, RCTs, crowns, onlays.... I can handle all of those. I am curious to see how implants go.

So on the 15th I am going for a full cleaning and on the 16th is the big day :love:

As I am keeping this journal for both others to learn from it and myself to remember later and to document the whole process I thought I give a little update.

I keep having this tension in my face.... sound weird but it is most probably a type of TMJ. Right now I have all my molars on the upper left side but non on the bottom left and exchangeable I have no molars on the upper right and have them all on the bottom right. And I have an overbite. So technically none of my teeth anywhere are touching. Especially with the new crown adjustment. Therefore I am either keeping my jaw a bit unnaturally lowered or I want to adjust my bite in a very forced way which would end up with me biting down with full force. but the bottom and the top are now so far away that biting down takes up way to much energy. So either way my right side gets tired occasionally or I feel the muscles under a constant tension. I also feel a very low level but constant gagging reflex. Simply because my mouth just can't rest. I know this will end very shortly. With the implants coming in but I wanted to make a note on what was going on in case I would need to remember this later.

I also got a little scare yesterday. Just a simple worry about implants. My bite being so non existing I started to worry on what if the crowns arrive for my implant and they will all be off. And it will not feel good to bite down on them. I know everything is adjustable and my docs will keep doing everything until all is right.

Almost there.... :jump: Tomorrow is the big implant surgery day :grin:

Went for my cleaning today, took like 10 minutes haha. Everyone was quiet surprised how quick it went and my doc sad the most beautiful sentence ever " A lot of people would be happy to have as much tartar as you" Hah, because I had barely any. Super proud of myself. Also super proud of my journey since August where teeth meant to me pain, panic, shame and being used to not having nice and clean teeth. And now I know I will always have super clean teeth in the future and never again do I have to worry about dental visits.

But for now, still a bit nervous and excited about tomorrow. But looking forward for the few days surgery recovery, off work, snuggled up in bed, painkillers and watching Netflix and sleeping kind of relaxation ...
:)

:cheer2:Laying in bed today 1 day post surgery. Just enjoying the 5 new implant screws in my skull, haha:cheer2:

The last two days at work were super busy as I had to finish a lot before going to the doctor, this probably kept my mind off things and left little room to actually think about what was coming up. Then my dad took me to the doctor's where we had to wait about half an hour or a bit more. I was kind of nervous before so I asked my mom for a Xanax.... never had one before. She gave me two and I ended up taking both in the end. My mind was absolutely OK with going in but there was a little nervousness, so I wanted to switch off what I could and be 100% stress free. Then I was given an antibiotic pill before the surgery. Still some waiting. Then I was asked to go in and we tried on the Smart Guide to make sure it fits well. It did. I also got numbing shots in my upper surgery areas. They need some time to work. So I went outside again.
Meanwhile there was a lady in the waiting room who had a failed implant from another clinic and she is visiting my doc to correct the mistake. She was very encouraging towards me, which felt nice
:)

Then the surgery started. I really want to be as detailed as I can be, not just for myself but anyone reading up on implant surgery. My main doctor was there, he had a special assistant, not a hygienist, but a young handsome doc who mostly acted like a hygienist but obviously was a doctor, maybe someone who will mov into implantology one day. He didn't know much about my past at the clinic so sometimes my doctor would explain things to him. Anyhow I was thankfully totally chilled.
There was some prep. I had to swirl with some antibacterial thingie. Then I got an antibacterial towel over my chest that I was not allowed to move my hands above. I also got a hat for my hair i think haha.

We started with the front ones, namely upper 4 and 5 on the left side. I got I think 3 shots to start with, they were strong one also think put into more special areas, they hurt a bit more then normally. Still nothing worse then a paper cut in pain. Then they put on the smart guide. I was really worried it will be thick, like when they take impressions and I would gag but in reality it was slim and I sometimes wasn't even sure if it was on or not. At the front I have totally missed out on the part when they cut the soft tissue
o_O Next up all I knew they were already drilling. Which sounded so bad but living it through it was OK. Was even less in feeling then when they drill for fillings. I didn't feel or notice a thing. I think he was simultaneously working on both wholes. Switching between sizes of drills. I had my eyes closed most of the time. The only uncomfortable thing was the taste I think mostly my blood maybe mixed with that antibacterial thingie and the taste of the injections. Then there was a point when they were drilling deeper and I started to feel some pain. So I immediately signalled my doc. Then I got another shot. Waited a few minutes and continued. Nothing after. He was at some point telling the young doc how good the bone is in that region and explained how we had the extraction surgery before and he was also explaining how lot of doctors sort of butcher up the teeth while extracting it (note mine were broken down to the gum line) but he took them out in one be careful not to break them up and this would preserve the bone better. Then they kept trying in the implants and adjusting a bit where needed. I felt less then during a root canal. My doc then warned me that when they place the implants I will feel pressure in the area. Then they finally put in the implants and... had to screw them in. Which almost had me giggle.
:giggle: It kind of felt like i had a bear as a kid, where you had to wind up the back and then it would play music. Reminded me of that. Haven't felt anything just was aware of the motion he was doing. Then they stitched me up which was uncomfortable. Not unbearable just not as much fun. I could feel the needle but only as much as I would feel a numbing injections. And only about 3 times. Afterwards the area acted sensitive I felt the pressure (this is not pain!) and some uncomfort form the stitches.

Then we immediately moved on to the next set of two. 14 and 15 on the right side, my two molars in the back basically. Which is my danger region. This is where I had two horribly infected teeth with a cyst so I lost a lot of bone during my extraction surgery. Also as these tooth are so close to my ear things got a bit more intense. I kind of could sense now the soft tissue cutting and hear it. It sound way more scary then it was I couldn't feel it. I was just more aware. Then they placed in the smart guide to make the 2 initial drills, but the drill didn't fit into the further away teeth because I couldn't really physically open up wider. So they stopped for a few seconds to come up with another solution. Which was to use the guide for the first tooth and then use the guide to mark the area and do it free hand for the second one. They they started drilling and I did feel something. And kind of kept feeling so i got about 4 more shots I think over there. By then I got tense that I would feel something when they start with every drilling. But thankfully I didn't. It was just hard to keep open my mouth so big but I obviously wanted to help my doc we were a team. Then at some point one of the hygienists above my had said 'You are doing so well" Then people were giggling a bit, then she said " I mean you, I didn't mean the doc, haha". Honestly there was a really good mood in there. Two hygienists were in there, the ones I met at my very first appointment - so they were just super excited for me and my journey. Then at some point during the drillings - again didn't feel a thing. They stopped because my doc was worried for the bone density. So we did a few sinus tests. I had to blow with my nose being closed and they were observing if air was coming through or not. But it wasn't. Then they had about a 5 min stop as they deiced to place one of the screws a bit differently. Because of the bone density. Then came the fun part. Twice....
Basically because my bone is 1mm short of what would be ideal, but still in a safety zone. My doc decided not to do a sinus lift and not to get a mini implant but to go with a smaller but still regular implant I think 7mm and put that into a 6mm whole or something. As you see the screw would be 1mm longer, so for that they had to crack a bit the bone and "hammer" up the implant. I think they also added some bone craft material next to it. Anyhow that hammering part was a bit odd. Haha. I didn't feel or hear a thing. But probably one of my least favourite. It was fun for the first time.... but I would have survived without the second one.

Then I had about a good 10 minute break while I got the numbing shots for that region, which was soo goood, just to gather my energy for the last one. Which was quiet uneventful. He always was prepared to do that one free hand and it felt quiet quick. Also by that time the previous surgery area felt really uncomfortable with the pressure and the stitches. So that took my mind off the last bit. This was also a tooth area in the back so I couldn't again open up wide enough, so he suggested a new had position. That helped. I think by that time I was drugged up so much I barely remember details, just being super tired.
Got the implant placed, stitched up... and tataddaa officially done. 3 hour long surgery, did it all awake, 5 implants

Then I came outside, I think I got a hug from the receptionist. We did a quick x-ray. My doctor meanwhile explained everything to my dad, showed the implants to me and my dad on the X-ray. Whoooo. Explained to both of us how we had to change the angle of that one implant as the bone was enough but very soft when he was drilling into it. He said all the other implant are placed and he is happy with them only that one is a 50-50 chance. So we will have to see how it heals.

So I came home. Took another painkiller because I was in some mild pain, especially that area on the right where the hammering was is way more sensitive till now then all the other. There rest I don’t even feel. But even now on the right it hurts a little. Also is a bit swollen but still all good. Just recovering.

I think I dosed out so super early yesterday I slept about 12 hours non stop O.O
So I am just lying in bed and watching Netlfix. And sleeping bit.

But I am super happy
:love:

So went to my last appointment this year :( I think I am healing quiet well, my doc asked if I was really swollen, if I had nosebleed, if it hurt really badly. I kind of had to disappoint him, didn't really get swollen, hurt only a little for 2 days, and no complication. Which is good but much uneventful, haha.
So he took out my stitches - oh thanks god those were sooooo irritating. And said that my gums healed up very nicely.

So..... never really thought that I would be upset about this but I don't have to go back..... till like April. Which left me very sad, I will miss my doctors.
:cry:

And the plan is we will see how my healing is in April and probably finish the 3 implants that were easier then. And give some extra 2 months for the remaining 2 in the trickier area to heal and see where we get then.

:xmastree:So off to enjoy my little titanium screws under the Christmas tree.... :love:

Been gone for a while. Work was super busy but it gave my body enough time to heal and welcome my new teeth :)
After 5 months of recovery we have finally started the finishing stages of the implant process which I realised I haven't really read as much about but it takes quiet a few visits.

I have been to my first visit last week. Which was basically the first time my doc saw my gums and teeth since the surgery. Honestly the deal was anyway that if I am symptom free I don't have to go. And thankfully I was. I have honestly not felt any real pain. The first 2 months were super strange. As I felt something sometimes. It was not pain or pressure but I was aware of the surgery site, I was aware of the healing feeling. But after 2 months I have forgotten about it physically. Mentally once in a while I would totally freak out about nothing and randomly worry that it will all go wrong. But it hasn't.

So the first visit started with an x-ray. Then my doc decided that everything looks fine and I had an opening up surgery, where he basically cut the gum open above all the implant screws .... ouch... I really didnt like that part. Didnt hurt a thing, it didn't hurt at all but I could sense it. Then he examined the screws by knocking, like really knocking on them in order to see if they move and if I feel anything. Which I luckily didn't. On one screw I actually had more bone - I was proud of overachieving :innocent:
Then he put in caps which are temporary and are meant to keep the gums in shape before the crowns arrive.

Then I had a week. Which was also important. Kind of a last chance to see if there are any complications. But there were none. The only thing I felt is the stitches irritating my gum haha.

My second visit was yesterday. My gums have healed up nicely :) One again over achieving and growing to much even in that one week. Silly thing. :love:

I really didnt like this session. It was soooo long almost two hours of taking samples of my bite and my teeth. I really hate sample taking. I jsut have to gag badly and my jaw gets tired. And this time my doc had to put these suuuper long screws into the implants so the technician will have a more precise idea of angles. But I couldn't really close my mouth.
Kudos to my doc that he really noticed how bad my gaging is. So he actually managed to work around a much smaler sample template that fit my mouth and didn't make me gag at all. Despite of that the session was ok. I honestly like going to the doc because it really feels like team work. I was still a bit worried about the implants, but he again and again made the knocking test and nothing happened. Funny thing was that for the whole process he had to screw in and out quiet a few times the inner part of the implant. The one that comes out. (Implants have 3 parts, the screw, the inside of the screw that will fit the crown on top and the crown itself). So now the inside that is removable had to come in and out and now fits the caps that shape my gumline. But all that in and out screwing. Hah, I obviously couldn't feel a thing but I could literally hear the screw turning. Which was kind of ironic and funny :)
And my doc has invented a new method for me - because I panic when they take sample of my lower jaw. They usually push down the form a lot so it really fits my teeth. But I worry that my jaw will pop out in the process so I really panic. So I warned him about this. And tadaa I didnt notice a thing. He actually held my chin so he didn't have to push down hard. And it ended up being super comfortable :love:

So I am going back next week to try on the crowns. I am prepared that they might not be perfect at first and it will be super strange to actually have all my teeth in my mouth after a year. But we agreed we will just do a basic try out session next week. Then I go on holiday till the end of the month. I didn't want to go abroad and worry about new teeth and functioning and talking and complications. So when I come back we will finalise them. And come July I will have my implants done.

So I misunderstood it wasnt the crown fitting but one part that fits underneath the crown. My implants come with so many parts I barely can keep track of it.

My doc said that the technician who is making my crowns etc was worried - the same as me - about my bite. That my bite is too deep and low and I can almost already bite down with my remaining teeht on my gum level even without the new teeth being in. So we kept on trying to bite and he would observe. It is kind of hard for me because a year has gone by since my journey began - and netiher my mind or my mussels remember how I used to bite a year ago. And it has been around 10 years since I could bite with all my teeth healthy. So that I really dont remember :dunno:. I still think the reason my bite is so deep is because my missing teeth and once the crowns get there it will be ok. But my doc worries that there wont be really much space to bite down to. So he suggested he wants to level out my bite. So we will grind down and some places and fill up at other places. I am totally fine with this. He is really invested and wants to help as much as he can and I really appriciate it. I also like this technician dude, far away in a lab somewhere. That he is invested and caring as well - without even knowing me and being there. :love:

So since then I went on a vacation. I can eat much easier since I have the temporary caps in so I could enjoy most of the food I wanted. And I am going back tuesday for the actual crowns to arrive. It will be a 2 hour long session because of all the biting and gridning and fillings. We also agreed that If needed and it probably will be needed I will have to go back every week to adjust. Meaning we would wait a week and see how I feel about bititng, where it feels uncomfortable, how everything works. If anything chips off. And then I go back and we adjust.

I cant believe it has been a year now since I made my appointment. The biggest part of my journey is coming to an end. I have had now full set of useful teeth in my mouth for the past 2 weeks and it is an amazing feeling. But lets go back to my last two appointments as I would like to give back as much detail about the procedure as possible for future reference.

So I have finally received the crowns for the implants, the ones at the front region fitted perfectly immediately. But as they had to be placed kind of into my gum, the process of that hurt. So I got some injections. Thankfully it was just the gum being sensitive and no problems with the implant itself - which is totally normal. Also there is a little pressure feeling with the implant for 1-3 seconds. Which is totally normal as well. Feeling pain or pressure afterwards or longer should not be ok tho. So I got all 5 placed, bit painfully but all fine. As I have a crazy weird bite now, and I don't really remember how my original bite was before my teeth started to decay we had to do some major adjustments. Which meant drilling and bite testing mostly on one side for about an hour. It obviously didn't hurt as the doc was drilling the implant itself. But I had to go out for about 20 minutes to rest and adjust in between. There was a lady in the waiting room - I think it was her first time coming there - and she basically was listening to all the drilling noises and looked a bit pale when she looked at me and asked if I was alright. It was kind of cute as she didnt know obviously that none of that drilling was anywhere near my real teeth. So I smiled and told her that all was fine and I cant wait ti go back, ha. Also I was super happy and excited of seeing actually teeth where there have been none for quiet some time now.
So after I went in we did some more adjustments. And the conclusion was to give me about 2 weeks to try them out, as they were not finalised yet and could be changed in case they were not ok and needed further adjustments. But I would need time of my own to try them out, chew with them and just really use them. My doc put some temporary filling on them and told me not to worry if anything chips because it is just a trial period and it is better to know now how the chewing pressure will work on them.
Also the right and left side were not exactly even so I had to spend time figuring out why and how.

Those two weeks went by since then. And I had so much fun trying out stuff, peanuts, M&Ms with peanuts, popcorn, just simply biting into an apple. OMG having salad since like forever. Chewing a gum. Loads of exiting things. All worked good. Except for the two sides being still uneven and I am still biting down in my sleep.

So I went back yesterday and we finalised 4 of the implants. Meaning that they put some sort of special filling material on top of the screws within the crowns. To cover them up with white. The last implant got a semi temporary filling, which made the surface a bit higher. Now I have about 3 weeks to test if the hight is good enough or if we need to exchange it. Need to note here this and the previous session were all free of charge as it belongs to the process of placing the implant until it is OK.

And I spoke to my doc about the teeth grinding biting down while I am asleep and he mentioned getting a nightguard if it still continues. Which I am totally fine with. It would be much better to get one now and I would feel much safer, because this whole unintentional biting down scares me a lot.

And the colour of the teeth is bit whiter then we expected funnily but for me it is the perfect shade I had in my mind. So come September, the next step will be to go through with the whitening. It will be a bit tricky as 4 out of 6 front teeth have been filled on the surface, and 1 is a crown so we can't just simply whiten them but my doctors need to figure out a way to make the surface whiter. The bottom teeth can be easily just whitened. But I am really looking forward to that.

And till then I am super happy to use my new teeth. First few days it was bit strange, but at the same time it was surprising how natural it felt and how my mind just went along with my new teeth and immediately knew how to use them. I still need to practice some habits about chewing and realise that I don't have to be that cautious anymore.
Emotionally it is such a relief to be able to smile again and articulate and don't worry about what people might think or see because i can laugh, I can open my mouth, I have nice a bit yellowy but super clean and healthy teeth now and it gives me confidence and it is a super good feeling...

:love:

Ah I haven't been here in a while. Had my first official check up visit on teeth and implants and everything. And also my journey is not yet complete.

I had a bit of a rollercoaster emotionally to be honest in regards of teeth stuff in the past month. It took me a few weeks to get used to the implants and by now I don't notice them at all. Chewing, speaking everything is very well. But I am on constant alert and keep panicking over the smallest things.
Every time I have a headache I panic that something is wrong. I have to take a few minutes to realise I am overreacting, my implants are fine I just probably didnt drink enough water, or coffee or there is tension or whatever. But not my teeth.
Then I kept noticing that one of my still good teeth might be not that good :( After I got the implant to the opposing side and I could chew I kept noticing that the teeth above the implant sometimes has a weird feeling in it. It is not pain, but like a pressure tingling feeling. I have felt it like 15-20 times in 3 months so it is not a big thing but it worried me. Also made me quiet upset and made me worried what if something goes wrong.....

So the past 3 months have been bit worry-some, I skipped a few night of brushing as well and that jsut made me upset.

But then my check up went really well. It was a total party in the exam room. My doc examined a the implants, all was fine, made an x-ray all looked fine. Eventually one of my implants on the x-ray looks like a face with hair, eyes and a smiling face ;D - like this one, haha. I liked how my doc seemed genuinely happy and excited, he had an honest outburst saying that he was a bit worried how my bite will work out once I start using my new teeth but he is glad to hear that I am doing good with them.

Then I told him about the tooth that worried me. We made some exams but he couldn't find anything so we agreed not to bother it unless it gets really ill as for now it looks ok. :( Still a bit worried. But I am also safe. Anything would happen I can just go and see him.

We were reflecting a bit how much I have changed since I started going there how I am not afraid of anything anymore. Then I asked him that I really would like to finalise the colours for my teeth and get a night guard. Because I do some serious involuntary biting in my sleep and I need a way to fight against it. So we took impressions. Which I used to have a really hard time with. But now it was super smooth.... Firstly the thing tasted like vanilla custard.... sooo goooood. Like cookies and cakes. :) Then I started recently to practice yoga and all the breathing exercise we do in class - breathing in and out through the nose are exactly what the dentists ask when they try to fight gauging. This is a whole new discovery.

So next up I am going back next week to pick up my nigh guard, do some general cleaning and pick up my home teeth-whitening kit.

Pic of the happy implant:
24882990_10155595828415412_180921155_o.jpg

:cheer2:

Went to my appointment yesterday. Got the home teeth whitening kit, which includes an upper and bottom plastic impression of my teeth that I have to inject the solution into and wear it for HOURS. 2-8 hours.. Meaning best is to wear them overnight. Although I can barely close my mouth with them so it will be interesting.... I have to wear them for 10 days straight. And then wait for 10 more days afterwards.
During this time I am limited to eat and drink everything that stains and colours teeth... meaning no tea, nothing carbonated, nothing acidic, nothing with strong spices that colour food.
And NO COFFEE :coffee: Which sounds painful...... But I will manage it.

Way to excited about the whiter teeth though. Feels like a nice closure and treat for the end of this long and exciting journey. I might have to go back in January still to check of how the whitening effected my smaller filling and if those need adjustment.

I also have to keep the upper side of there impressions for later as a bite guard.
:cheer:

Back