• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

judgement day

S

soozypoo

Well rite now I'm sat in hospital waiting for theatre to have my teeth removed bit of a shambles in here lol had my consultation with surgeon in corridor cus no cubicles free or any screens for him to check xrays. Referred by dentist for 2 upper molars but at hospital assessment was informed a lower also had an infection at the root tho I've never had a prob n has been wiggly for some time.was told this should come out save me needing another ga in future leaving it will rot my jaw...last time I was here in 2010 the maxo surgeon said leave it be if it don't hurt .surgeon I just seen said they only remove the teeth advised by own dentist.so they won't extract the lower now does that mean my jaw gonna rot or what lol,was also told when I drink after upper extractions the drink gonna come out my nose by the surgeon as my sinus will b open Jesus talk bout scaring ya lol.last time was a hoot nothing like this mentioned at all n that was wisdom teeth lol now the anaesthetist just been asked me to.open my mouth make sure they can get a tube in lol I think I preferred it b4 not knowing didn't think they'd do that if they working in your mouth lol

Good luck! Let us know how it all goes!

Beamish

Still sat waiting with my notes lol been here since half 7 had enough now I'm hungry n thirsty haha n no time given of wen my turn will be

Good luck I hope all goes well for you, I think they sound very unprofessional there, but I am sure when it comes to taking your teeth out they will be on the ball.
I hope you get done soon and then you can be out of there and back home in comfort.

GOOD LUCK :grouphug:

Afternoon patients arrived now just heard some1 tell them it won't b til after half 1 as theatre has emergencies to deal with first my name not even on the board anymore dunno what's goin on n can't get an answer r:jump:eally feel like tellin them to reschedule as I've sat in the same spot now almost 5 hrs starting to feel a bit nauseous now not had food since 6 last nite n drink since 5am

I do feel sorry for you, I would be a wreck, but try and stick it out if you can. This side of the NHS is what puts everybody off. But if you were the emergency you would be so glad of the treatment you would be getting. I would just try and think, thank goodness it's not me needing it, because it must be bad to delay things for you and others. I know it's not much but you are luckier than the poor people needing urgent treatment.

I hope you get seen soon, it must be nerve wrecking, but try stick it out. :grouphug: I wish I could come and stand with you, if you have someone to talk to it takes your mind off things a bit. Are you warm enought, it's blooming freezing here, and the TV weather says it's going to snow. :grouphug:

7hrs I been waiting no with no info from anyone how much longer to wait they have just told me they will put a tube down my throat n shove some pain relief up.my bum while I'm out so annoyed n fed up feel faint from lack of food I just feel like walking out

It is freezing in the little holding pen an old lady sitting shivering n they were so arrogant wen she asked how long it wud b last time I was in in 2010 it wasn't like this wish I'd just had courage to let my own dentist do it now and u not allowed to have anyone sit with u due to patient privacy n lack of seating takes the pi..

I can't believe you are still waiting and why are they giving you information you don't need. I have had a tooth out just being numb, and after reading your carry on today I will always let my dentist take out my teeth, I can't believe it. It really is disgusting, I think you are so brave to still be there, the only consolation is that by the end of today hopefully it will be over.

Every time my mum has been taken into hospital for whatever reason, I have got there and stayed with her because I don't trust the hospitals, I have seen this arrogance from staff and when someone is older or feels unable to speak and stick up for themselves this is how they are treated.

I hope you get seen soon. What a day you are having. :grouphug: Keep going, it will be your turn soon, I hope.

Update im back at home....untouched! By 4pm id had enough was starting to see things that werent there pmsl was woozy and feeling lightheaded i spoke to a nurse who told me it wud be a cpl hours at least for my turn as was one more in front of me but theatres close for scheduled surgery at 5pm,so i wouldnt have been seen anyway im so peed off i told them i wanted to go home as i couldnt take no more and what happened to a cpl yrs back when i went in at 1 and was home by 6, i was told its because im healthy!

If you are healthy u Are put to the bottom of the days theatre list as you can withstand sitting around longer than other vulunerable patients order of the day is children first,then people with existing ailments then the healthy folk thing is if they knew this why did they not come And tell me i could have a drink id gone almost 12 hrs without water and 20hrs without food just totally unacceptable ,i opted for this after the easy extraction i had there in 2010 this was like living in a 3 rd world country whT the hell happened in those 2 yrs ,and that poor elderly lady was still sitting there at 4pm when i left i went and gave her a hug and wished her luck ,they even lost one patients notes and fetched her back from theatre while they tried to hunt them down,what a shambles,have an appointment with my own dentist tomorrow as he wants a chat with me,the consultant himself came and chatted to me and offered to give me a new date but i really dont fancy going thru all that again

I have followed you all day, and I think this is disgusting the way you were treated. I feel really sorry for the poor old lady usually they have meds to take and if it was so late and she was without food as well how the hell was she supposed to get home. Sometimes I hate this side of the NHS, it does seem dis-organised and I have seen how older people in particular are treated, it's disgusting.

Back to you, is there no way you could have the extraction done by your own dentist, it is so quick, you don't have to starve for hours and once you're numb it is over so quick. If you blink, you almost miss it, well it's not that quick but within minutes it is over when having more than one out, it only takes a few seconds to get one tooth out usually, no pain, and no trauma. Is there any way you could put your trust in your dentist to do this for you.

I am so sorry you didn't get it done today, and there was no way they needed to talk to you about tubes and stuff, it would have frightened the life out of most people. I think you did really well to stay as long as you did. :grouphug:

firstly just want to say thanks for your support carole,and secondly i want to say to others that are going in hospital to have teeth out please dont let this put you off as i had a fantastic experience the first time,i just dont see how it has gone downhill so much in a short period of time.

Anyway,i did sit and think yesterday about what you said and having them extracted at the dentists,I have recently started going to a private dentist as it was my nhs dentist who I thought was fabulous with me who actually bodged my teeth to the point of them needing to come out.I have not had any treatment so far with this new private dentist apart from 3 monthly cleans as it was never offered to me by my last dentist and there was a lot of tartar build up so im told and my gums were starting to recede,however my eldest who is 15 went with me and had a filling done without any anaesthetic and he didnt feel a thing,so maybe that is a sign that he is very good at his job

The reason i opted and asked them to send me for a general was due to past traumatic experiences mainly as a child when having teeth out the staff held me down as i was coming round from gas while the dentist still continues to pull my teeth out,funny how these things stay with you,and the amount of relatives who have had experiences of not being numb for an extraction telling the dentist only to be told im the expert you are numb.

This is what panics me so much about being awake lol.I dont mind going in for a filling or a root canal as strange as that may seem when a simple extraction is less messing around,also the last time with a previous dentist they hurt me as they slipped with a drill as they didnt numb me off properly and i ended up hitting them lol was just a reaction my arm flailed out and hit them in the gut so for the safety of everyone involved lol i chose GA .i know it would be easier like you say and i wouldnt be starved or left to rot in a waiting room for 10 hours, he called me yesterday as he wants to chat with me today so im going to see him at midday.

Hospital have just called me back to apologise for being left so long yesterday and to rearrange a new appointment with me.She said i was put on an all day theatre list yesterday which is why i had the wait,but what they will do now is try and find me a date for either morning or afternoon,apparently it has all changed since i was last there,as i explained that at my last appointment i had it was in for 1.30pm and i was back home by 6pm.

She said for afternoon ones you have to be in for 11.30 and theatres start afternoon ops at 1pm she is now looking for a new date for me towards the end of may with a more specific time.

Will just see what happens in the meantime,i dont suffer any pain so im lucky in that respect.I still cant get that poor old lady out of my head,she was having some form of bowel surgery so they were putting her on a ward afterwards i really feel that i should go visit her to make sure she ok,as she was treated terribly,although if she has family they prob wont be too pleased some stranger rocking up lol,i mean i felt it and im only 37 and she wasnt allowed a drink for 2 days,so god knows how she was feeling she kept drifting off to sleep,surely she should have been classed as a vulunerable patient and near the top of the list how they explained it to me,unless that was a load of rubbish they made up to keep people quiet hahaha xx

What ever you decide to do regarding having your extraction, I hope it goes better next time. I personally would go and let the dentist do it. It is so quick. I really think if you are fine with getting fillings done, an extraction will be a breeze for you.

I am waiting to hear how you got on with seeing your own dentist today and what he had to say, I couldn't sleep last night thinking about that old lady, she should have been in a hospital bed, comfortable until they were ready, it's a wonder she didn't pass out.

Good luck for today, you will be there now, so I hope it went well. :grouphug:

My dentist was disgusted at what had happened,we were meeting to discuss the possible 3rd tooth removal that the hospital had said needed to come out and then the surgeon had refused as the instruction hadnt come via my dentist lol.

He looked at the tooth and said he was happy to leave it be,with it being grade 1 mobile as he has been working on getting my gums healthy,and hopefully with proper care that will change although he would still like me to be seen by the hospital for the 2 extractions as they are a bit tricky (previous dentist had fitted gold onlays to them and the tooth has decayed and crumbled under the onlays)so they could be a bit of a problem, and he doesnt want to scare me off whilst im still getting to know him and have a rapport with him where i fully trust him and that should the 3rd tooth need to come out,by then i should be at that place.
However he did an xray which then showed up an abscess under the 3rd tooth which has been lingering there for well before when i had my last teeth out at hospital as they queried it then,but as it has never troubled me they said best to leave it be hahahah.

so outcome is he said while i am at the hospital they may as well remove this 3rd tooth as well to save me being traumatised at a later date,he is writing another letter to the hospital so that they cant argue the fact.

you are right about that poor elderly lady she couldnt move when she had to get up as she had sat in that chair that long she had set in position,they said they were short of beds hence another reason for the backlog as they didnt have anywhere to send the patients that were coming out of resus,so because all those that had just come out of theatre were taking up space they couldnt take any more in until the previous ones had been sorted.She told me she was originally meant to go in on wednesday this week but called her on friday to move her to the monday instead,bet she wishes she'd have said no now.

Now it just states in my local paper that patients are to suffer in hospital due to them axing 400 odd staff to save money,my god if it was like that yesterday i feel sorry for anyone who is unfortunate enough to go in after the staff axe,there are no words printable to describe my feelings on the whole thing,although i have writeen to my local paper to express my concern and disgust lol,so ill prob be wiped off the waiting list now hehehehe xx

I think bearing in mind what your dentist has now said about the extractions being not so straight forward I would opt for the GA in this case. Your dentist sounds very caring and on the ball. He also has your welfare as first and foremost. This is why we can only give our own personal experiences, and support because with out a persons own dentist seeing the problems we cannot give the correct answers.

Back to the old lady I have seen and been there first hand with my mother over the last few years on how older people and people in general are treated. It really disgusts me. We on here are terrified of the dentist but lately, I have had more success with dental work than I have with other medical problems involving doctors. I don't and never have fully trusted them either and I do try avoid as much as I can, but it is not always possible. I had better get off this subject now this is a dental forum. :censored:

I hope you get your mouth sorted soon and your dentist sounds really caring and considerate, I think you can defo trust him, he is putting you first. :jump: I hope you get an appointment soon and that when you get there you don't have to wait so long next time. :hmm:

All the best. ;)

Hi soozypoo. (Interesting name! :giggle:)

I've had a busy week so only just read your thread - I also can't believe the way you (and that poor elderly lady) were treated - shocking! :o Belated :XXLhug: coming your way!

One thing that came to mind - have you considered IV sedation for your extractions? With it you'd be largely or completely unaware while the surgery was happening (it varies from person to person) - but completely relaxed eitherway - and remember little or nothing afterwards. For most people it feels like you've been to sleep and then woken up with it all over, but unlike GA you don't need to go to a hospital to have it. Even if your dentist would prefer for the extractions to be done by an oral surgeon, there are surgeons working in private practice to whom you could be referred, and you'd never have to set foot in the hospital. Unless there's some specific reason, to do with the procedure, that GA isnecessary? You've seen for yourself the standard of care you've received by going private (not that all NHS experiences are bad or all private experiences good, but simply going from your own situation), and I can't see why you shouldn't have the same standard for your extractions, too. :) Just a thought! :hmm:

Flip, just read this, not good.......not good at all.......shocking to leave people not knowing anything, with no food or water for so long. :scared:

Appalling when you think this was in a hospital where they are supposed to be caring for people.
I do hope all goes well for you in the future,with the dental treatments.