• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Jumping aching feeling in molars, very anxious

Z

Zoe 1991

Hello all,

I had a really terrible nights sleep about a week ago and since then I have this jumping aching feeling in my teeth, it’s only on my right side and it jumps between my upper and lower molars.

I keep examining my teeth and gums which all look fine, I have no blood, no tooth sensitivity just hurts when I bite down sometimes.

I’m worried that I may have an abscess forming?

I have a feeling I clench my teeth at night so I do wear a night guard and have a very thorough cleaning routine, I also have abfractions on my back molars

dentist still not open I’m Ueven though I’m willing to pay private prices :(

can someone give me some advice am I just being a bit silly?

I only have 24 adult teeth as Iv had 12 extracted over my life time and extensive orthodontic treatment so have not had good experiences with dentist

thanks guys x

Z

Zoe 1991

I would just like to add that I had teeth extracted due to overcrowding not because of disease

M

MountainMama

Not a dentist, but I get that from clenching my teeth, even wearing a nightguard. I have also had extensive orthodontic treatment and had adult teeth extracted. I had my two lower right molars extracted last year and now have implants. My jaw muscles get tense from clenching my teeth and it causes pain in my upper and lower molars. I have had x rays and the teeth are fine.

Niall Neeson

Niall Neeson

Verified dentist
Hi Zoe 1991,

Sorry to hear you’re having issues. Good news is that it’s not behaving like a typical abscess. With an abscess it’s usually easy to be able to point to the tooth causing issues.

It could well be clenching or grinding irritating the ligaments that surround the teeth, especially with it arising after a troublesome night of sleep. As MountainMama said, this can happen even with a night guard.

Obviously it’s important to keep an eye on any change in how the discomfort is behaving and please let us know if it evolves. In the meantime it’s sensible to stick to soft food and avoid chewing gum. If you’re experiencing any more stress than usual it may be helpful to use relaxation exercises or yoga in the evening before bed.

If you have abfraction areas things like acid erosion could also contribute so limit why acid between meals, avoid brushing immediately after anything acidic but rinse with water to dilute the effect of the acid.

I hope things settle and usually it will settle.

Hope this info helps. All the best,

Niall

Z

Zoe 1991

Thank you so much! Helped put my mind at rest! Fingers crossed I can see a dentist soon

Z

Zoe 1991

Hello again,

it’s been nearly two weeks since the start of this dull ache on the right side of my jaw, it resonates in the two upper and lower molars.
The pain doesn’t keep me up at night but it’s enough to make me take painkillers as it just feels so strange, just a continual pressure feeling. Surely sprained PDL don’t feel like this?

admittedly I do sleep on my right side and my jaw clicks and cracks every time I open and close it.

my last check up was in December, dentist said all was fine except had two very small cavities in my lower molars, he didn’t fill them just put some sealant on them. Could this be causing the pain? Do cavities progress that quickly with good hygiene?

should I just call the dentist and ask for some antibiotics incase it is an underlying infection where I can’t see it??
I can’t think of nothing else but my teeth it’s making me miserable.

:(

thanks guys

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Cavities would have stopped from progressing when they were sealed. Doesn't sound like an infection so antibiotics are pointless.

The most likely culprit is your jaw joint given the creaks and crackles you report.

Z

Zoe 1991

Thanks Gordon,

the pain that I feel when I bite down, like a spongy feeling almost, do you think that’s connected?

Thanks

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Yes, I think so.

Niall Neeson

Niall Neeson

Verified dentist
Yeah, I agree with Gordon. There are muscles around that area that can contribute to this sort of discomfort. For some people, applying heat such as a hot water bottle and massaging the area is one way that can help settle things down.

Anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen are probably your best bet for pain-relief (if you’re ok to take them). Soft diet etc as advised above also sensible. Avoid opening wide, suppress yawns by placing your hand under the chin. Basically the more rest the jaw and the nearby muscles get the better.