• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Jumping tooth pain

K

klol

I'm back after thinking I had all my dental stuff sorted out :(
In May/June/July I dealt with some poor dental work because I developed a toothache and my prior dentist had moved a year earlier- I'd been putting off finding a new dentist because I've just got such a fear combined with bad teeth through poor childhood hygiene, not the best genetics AND a nasty clenching habit on top. That new dentist said I needed 5 crowns, filled in two broken fillings which he claimed was the source of my toothache, turns out that he threw new fillings on top instead of taking out the old fillings and decay that grew under the broken fillings, he also started to shave down the enamel on a healthy tooth when attempting to smooth out a filling, he didn't realize he was on the wrong tooth until I told him! Found a new dentist a month later after my toothache continued along with severe jaw pain.
New dentist was wonderful, realized old broken filling had just been patched over, cleaned everything out, and told me I had a few other small fillings that needed to be replaced or filled. Got all that done. Shortly after, my bottom right molar (I think that would be tooth #30?) started having pain. Dentist decided to send me for root canal eval, root canal was indicated, half the nerves in the teeth were dying, the other half fine. So the RCT was done, great, everything felt ok except for the jaw pain which I've been having since May.
THEN at the end of July, I got a killer case of tonsillitis which turned into tonsil abscesses. I've had tonsil issues for as long as I can remember. I was on antibiotics and had to have the area behind my tonsils lanced to rid the infection, and a tonsillectomy planned. I noticed that my teeth seemed much more sensitive during this time, but nothing severe and dentist told me it was likely due to all of the issue being so close to my teeth, along with my anxiety causing clenching. I went off of antibiotics last weekend. Toward the middle of the week, I noticed a sniffly nose start up, but nothing else. Then this Friday, I started noticing some pain in my teeth, and I also noticed that one of my tonsils was very swollen again,called my Dr and he's refilled my antibiotics until surgery time. At first, I thought the tooth pain was in the upper right, couldn't pinpoint it, and it wasn't terrible pain, just a dull faraway ache. Then, it felt like the lower left. On Saturday I ate a banana and it HURT. It made my lower right teeth all ache, at first it felt like the root canal tooth, then it felt like the tooth behind it, or maybe the two teeth in front of it. I couldn't pinpoint it. Sometimes there was even a little ping to a tooth in a completely different area of the mouth. That carried on until most of the way through Sunday, where anything that touched the right side of my mouth caused a sharp nerve-like pain. Then by Sunday evening I tried a bite of dinner at the coercion of my boyfriend, and it was achy but not the sharp pain I'd been having. This morning, I was able to eat some cereal and grapes without much pain at all, although still sensitive to cold (although I think that might be my new normal unfortunately). My teeth almost feel normal again today.

My question is...could all of this have to do with my tonsils? Is that a thing? My dentist told me he'd never heard of that, as did my ENT. My ENT told me if I had gum disease or an active tooth infection, perhaps that could encourage tonsillitis because of the increased bacteria in the mouth, but when he did a CT on me the ONLY infection he saw in my head was behind my tonsils, nothing near the teeth, and my dental xrays have not shown any infection in teeth at all- and my gums are healthy, although ever so slightly receded on some crowned teeth. I called my dentist and left a message to get in to be seen, but I'm just so concerned and confused on what is happening. Could this just be strained ligaments around the teeth from clenching with anxiety? Is my RCT failing? Last night I had a dream that all of my teeth had to be pulled. My new dentist has assured me that my teeth, while having many fillings and some molar crowns, are not terrible and have a lot of likelihood of staying with me for life because of how well I care for them now. With everything that keeps happening, I just can't believe it.

Stress related clenching could certainly explain some of the symptoms.

I'm back after thinking I had all my dental stuff sorted out :(
In May/June/July I dealt with some poor dental work because I developed a toothache and my prior dentist had moved a year earlier- I'd been putting off finding a new dentist because I've just got such a fear combined with bad teeth through poor childhood hygiene, not the best genetics AND a nasty clenching habit on top. That new dentist said I needed 5 crowns, filled in two broken fillings which he claimed was the source of my toothache, turns out that he threw new fillings on top instead of taking out the old fillings and decay that grew under the broken fillings, he also started to shave down the enamel on a healthy tooth when attempting to smooth out a filling, he didn't realize he was on the wrong tooth until I told him! Found a new dentist a month later after my toothache continued along with severe jaw pain.
New dentist was wonderful, realized old broken filling had just been patched over, cleaned everything out, and told me I had a few other small fillings that needed to be replaced or filled. Got all that done. Shortly after, my bottom right molar (I think that would be tooth #30?) started having pain. Dentist decided to send me for root canal eval, root canal was indicated, half the nerves in the teeth were dying, the other half fine. So the RCT was done, great, everything felt ok except for the jaw pain which I've been having since May.
THEN at the end of July, I got a killer case of tonsillitis which turned into tonsil abscesses. I've had tonsil issues for as long as I can remember. I was on antibiotics and had to have the area behind my tonsils lanced to rid the infection, and a tonsillectomy planned. I noticed that my teeth seemed much more sensitive during this time, but nothing severe and dentist told me it was likely due to all of the issue being so close to my teeth, along with my anxiety causing clenching. I went off of antibiotics last weekend. Toward the middle of the week, I noticed a sniffly nose start up, but nothing else. Then this Friday, I started noticing some pain in my teeth, and I also noticed that one of my tonsils was very swollen again,called my Dr and he's refilled my antibiotics until surgery time. At first, I thought the tooth pain was in the upper right, couldn't pinpoint it, and it wasn't terrible pain, just a dull faraway ache. Then, it felt like the lower left. On Saturday I ate a banana and it HURT. It made my lower right teeth all ache, at first it felt like the root canal tooth, then it felt like the tooth behind it, or maybe the two teeth in front of it. I couldn't pinpoint it. Sometimes there was even a little ping to a tooth in a completely different area of the mouth. That carried on until most of the way through Sunday, where anything that touched the right side of my mouth caused a sharp nerve-like pain. Then by Sunday evening I tried a bite of dinner at the coercion of my boyfriend, and it was achy but not the sharp pain I'd been having. This morning, I was able to eat some cereal and grapes without much pain at all, although still sensitive to cold (although I think that might be my new normal unfortunately). My teeth almost feel normal again today.

My question is...could all of this have to do with my tonsils? Is that a thing? My dentist told me he'd never heard of that, as did my ENT. My ENT told me if I had gum disease or an active tooth infection, perhaps that could encourage tonsillitis because of the increased bacteria in the mouth, but when he did a CT on me the ONLY infection he saw in my head was behind my tonsils, nothing near the teeth, and my dental xrays have not shown any infection in teeth at all- and my gums are healthy, although ever so slightly receded on some crowned teeth. I called my dentist and left a message to get in to be seen, but I'm just so concerned and confused on what is happening. Could this just be strained ligaments around the teeth from clenching with anxiety? Is my RCT failing? Last night I had a dream that all of my teeth had to be pulled. My new dentist has assured me that my teeth, while having many fillings and some molar crowns, are not terrible and have a lot of likelihood of staying with me for life because of how well I care for them now. With everything that keeps happening, I just can't believe it.
I experience lately the jumping tooth pain. It’s a bit alarming as you don’t know if something to be concerned about or not, but Gordon’s response seems dead in for me. I’ve been under extreme stress lately (unfortunately I don t see that ending anytime soon)

Back