• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Just a few questions!

• Thread starter Deleted member 19394
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 19394

Former Member
Hello there! :waves:

So earlier today (at 9 am Pacific), I got my upper right wisdom pulled.
It was a very short and easy procedure! The Dentist literally numbed me, pushed at the wisdom tooth and then pulled it right out!
My Dentist told me it was super easy because the tooth was already fully exposed and nothing really seemed to be wrong with it. (It's never really caused me problems before, so I could expect as much.)

But this is my first time with Wisdom Teeth and I've been worried about the procedure until now. I mean... I'm still kind of worried, but not as much as I was before the whole thing.

I change the gauze every half hour, or if I seem to be lost in the movies I'm watching, an hour at most. I didn't bleed much to begin with, and just now it finally seems to dimming down a little bit.

The pain is still super evident, but it isn't crippling that I need to take anything for it. It's a bit of a throbbing ache at the very sight of my now missing wisdom.
The Dentist didn't even give me stitches! I was a little bit worried about this, but I'm putting faith in the Dentist here!

But do I sleep with the gauze?
How long will I be experiencing this ache? Though it isn't TOO troublesome, it does hurt...
I'm also afraid of this Dry Socket business - is there a specific time frame in when I'm in the "clear" of it? Ways to prevent?
I'm 18-years old, and have a nasty cough. Will this also be an issue with healing time???
Are there any other complications I should be weary about? (I kind of feel like I shouldn't have had this tooth removed, and maybe the lower ones instead -- but if it was easy, I thought I'd at least get a taste of what I'm in for. I'm not sure though. I'm very indecisive. :dunno: )

Hi you are safe from dry socket 72 hours after extraction. Don't sleep with the gauze in. Some people sleep with their head slightly elevated but I never have. You choose. Follow the after care instructions no spitting, smoking or sucking. You may feel a bit achey for a couple of days and your jaw may ache. Don't let any discomfort or pain build up if you need to take any pain meds then do.

The cold shouldn't be a problem. Happy healing :butterfly:

Thanks!!
I ended up sleeping with my head a bit elevated. Just had a ton of pillows piled up on each other, and it was pretty comfortable!

I'm also clear of any pain I was feeling yesterday!
My Dentist told me start rinsing with warm salt water today, at least three times a day. So that's what I'll be doing! A very gentle rinse. :)

Thanks again!!!! :jump:

Back