• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Just came back from the dentist and I've been crying all day please please help.

K

kitty240791

Just came back from the dentist and I've been crying all day please please help.

I'm overweight and 23 years old. However when i went to the dentist to get my teeth checked after finally taking the courage to go after around 10 years of suffering agoraphobia and social anxiety disorder the dentist was very very rude and took my blood pressure and told me she refused to treat me or even clean my teeth until I get on blood pressure medication because it was high. The reading was high probably not just because of weight. I was so nervous i was almost hyperventilating and furthermore the cuff they used to take my blood pressure was too tight and therefore was told it was probably an insufficient reading. I'm not denying that I need to go to the doctor next and start to get things squared away however money is really short and I had hoped to maybe try losing a few pounds first before going in. Maybe only 20 pounds or so. I know that if I attempt to go to the doctor I'll either have a nervous breakdown or a panic attack or something bad. It may seem really silly to you guys but I really don't think I can emotinally get myself to go to the doctor at this fragile time in my life right now. I've suffered severe depression and anxiety ever since I was a little girl.

So sorry for all the rambling but in short (without telling me I just need to suck it up and go to the doctor which trust me i know i need to eventually do) what can you guys suggest for me? Will some dentists probably treat me anyways even with a higher blood pressure? I really wanna get these teeth squared away

Re: Just came back from the dentist and I've been crying all day please please help.

Kitty,

I am so sorry this dentist treated you in this way, very rude, judgmental and assuming. not familiar with how to work with anxious patients or be sensitive it seems.. You would think if someone were, they would understand that nerves make your blood pressure skyrocket!! Seems she was very condescneding.. i'm very sorry about that.. I can't tell you the number of times my blood pressure was high due to nerves , after you sti for a bit , they are kind to you and help calm things. your bp goes down. I also deal with anxiety .. its hard to get the courage to go to the dentist, dr, etc, espeically when treated like this.

I would look for someone that specializes in anxious patients and email or call them , definately get a second opinion.. from someone a little more compassinate.

Back